Canon R EF-EOS R mount adapter. Fit all EF and EFS lenses?

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
No
I read the new Canon R mirrorless camera with the mount adapter can use all my old lenses, EFS and EF, Canon and Tamron. What's the catch? If my old 60d has a cropped sensor, as opposed the R series which is full frame, will that make any difference using my lenses?

I don’t believe there would be any difference in using your ‘old’ lenses on an EOS R. From what I gather, using the EF/EFS to RF adapter doesn’t detract in the slightest in any responsiveness or image quality. It’s quite ingenious, and a very clever move by Canon to retain its user-base whilst allowing a smooth transition over to mirrorless technology.

I read the new Canon R mirrorless camera with the mount adapter can use all my old lenses, EFS and EF, Canon and Tamron. What's the catch? If my old 60d has a cropped sensor, as opposed the R series which is full frame, will that make any difference using my lenses?

Your lenses will work fine, when you attach your EF-S lenses the cameras will automatically go into crop mode to suit. You will get a reduced MP count per image, but you still benefit from the ISO performance of the FF sensor. I believe for the R you get 12mp, and the RP in-or-around 10mp when using EF-S lenses.

Thanks. However I am amazed that the pixel count reduces so dramatically when using EFS lenses. I gather the R camera produces native images at 30mp with dedicated glass so why the vast reduction? With my old 60D I am getting 18mp so why consider changing?

Thanks. However I am amazed that the pixel count reduces so dramatically when using EFS lenses. I gather the R camera produces native images at 30mp with dedicated glass so why the vast reduction? With my old 60D I am getting 18mp so why consider changing?

With your FF lenses you'd get a FF picture, so there's that :D It's only with EF-S lenses that you'd get a cropped picture which will obviously be fewer mp's than a FF picture as they wont cover the whole of the sensor.

Yes thanks. I now understand. I have calculated that a full frame 30mp image cropped to 1.61 crop factor gives am image size of approx 18.6mp which is a little more than my 60d. I then have to factor in possessing a mirrorless camera being less heavy without lens which is a plus. So the result is gaining superior technical camera operation with no mirror and slightly lighter, but image size stays much the same if using my old lenses. Is it worth it? :confused:

Yes thanks. I now understand. I have calculated that a full frame 30mp image cropped to 1.61 crop factor gives am image size of approx 18.6mp which is a little more than my 60d. I then have to factor in possessing a mirrorless camera being less heavy without lens which is a plus. So the result is gaining superior technical camera operation with no mirror and slightly lighter, but image size stays much the same if using my old lenses. Is it worth it? :confused:

Image quality may actually be better, as it is still a better sensor you are cropping with. High ISO performance will be better for sure. Do you have a lot of EF-S lenses? is it possible to sell them on for FF lenses?

I have FF mirrorless (Sony A7) and I'd now never willingly go back to a DSLR. Here's some of the advantages I see which are equally true for any make of mirrorless camera...

- You don't have to MA your lenses so focus accuracy and consistency will improve over a DSLR.
- You can focus just about anywhere in the frame, not just with focus points clustered around the centre as with a DSLR.
- If your camera has eye or face detect it'll open up new possibilities as you can have your subjects face just about anywhere in the frame (not just in the central area where DSLR focus points are) and you wont have to worry about moving the focus point or focusing and recomposing and instead you can concentrate on the framing and capturing the moment and your pictures will be in focus just about every time, even at f1.x. I don't see how this could be possible with a DSLR.
- These cameras are just about perfect for manual focus.
- You can have in view aids such as a level, histogram, peaking etc.
- You'll probably get real time DoF and exposure preview.

For these reasons I think moving to mirrorless has advantages even if there's no increase in actual image quality.

Last edited:
I have calculated that a full frame 30mp image cropped to 1.61 crop factor gives am image size of approx 18.6mp

Just a note on this, I looked into it again and it seems you only get 11mp, so maybe something else besides crop factor is going on when you mount EF-S lenses to a full frame mirrorless. But, if you search it you'll see many people who upgraded from APSC Canon bodies to the R/RP are using their EF-S lenses happily enough. Many reporting they have noticed an increase in quality despite the cut in MP

I’m guessing your maths is wrong.

I personally don’t like the ‘crop lens - crop mode’, that Nikon always did and Canon avoided it right up until the R.
How many EF-S lenses do you have, and what would it cost to replace them?

Ok my maths has never been a strong point!
I have a selection of Canon fit EF-S lenses all third party. Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye.
Plus Canon EF lenses 70-200mm f4, 50mm 1.8 and 100mm f2.8 macro.
None of these lenses have IS and have been acquired over the years. Probably the 10-24 is the most used for landscape photography. Trade in price unknown, probably nil!
If I invested in a new R series I wouldn't be able to buy any new lenses so I guess it's back to square one! :(

Is there a difference in pixel size between the FF R series and the cropped 6D, could be something worth considering. If the pixels are larger on the R then Iso performance "should" be better, however resolution will be lower (I think) so enlarging the image may make it look softer? I'm sure I'll be corrected if that is wrong, but I did find that my 50D seemed to resolve better than my 5D when enlarged.

Matt

If FF is not a priority then buy a M series Canon, you get all the benefits of mirorless, your lenses will work great with an adapter and you also get a better sensor with more MP. I use a M5 and it's a super little camera, I will only sell it when Canon bring out a MKII version.

I now understand. I have calculated that a full frame 30mp image cropped to 1.61 crop factor gives am image size of approx 18.6mp which is a little more than my 60d.
I’m guessing your maths is wrong.
Ok my maths has never been a strong point!
Your maths is wrong. You need to divide by the SQUARE of the crop factor. So if your full frame camera is 30 megapixels, in crop mode you get approximately 30/(1.6*1.6), which is approximately 12 megapixels.

(Why? Because the crop factor refers to linear dimensions, not area dimensions. A full frame sensor is 1.6 times as wide and 1.6 times as tall as a crop sensor, so it has 1.6*1.6=2.56 times as many pixels.)

Back