Beginner Canon T5i Giving No Details and Sharpness, Noise in the Pictures...Help Required

Name
Haris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I am currently using Canon Rebel 700D T5i with 18-55mm and 55-250mm Lens. As I am at very beginner level of photography so requires a lot of help from the members.
So far I am not getting the sharp and crisp images and it is giving a lot of blur and noises when I zoom Into the picture :( . This is very disappointing for me and losing interest in capturing the pictures.

So I need suggestion from the members regarding how can I make then more sharp and full of details with low noise. Thanking all in advance :)IMG_0495.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0447.JPG

Lots of variable factors .... what iso are you using ?.... what shutter speed? .....are you shooting raw or jpeg?....are you shooting in m mode?.... how are you focusing?

Technique related I would guess they don't look that terrible but I am on my phone

Lots of variable factors .... what iso are you using ?.... what shutter speed? .....are you shooting raw or jpeg?....are you shooting in m mode?.... how are you focusing?

Technique related I would guess they don't look that terrible but I am on my phone
ISO-100 f/5.6 1/500sec
Am shooting in jpeg and mostly on manual mode

OK it's hard on my phone to see tbh I'll have a look in a few hours.... are they unedited pics or have you processed?

Yep various reasons but mainly you have a lot more options to process your files with raw... and a lot more latitude

Try manual focus. People forget there was a time when there was no such thing as auto-focus! :)

Yep various reasons but mainly you have a lot more options to process your files with raw... and a lot more latitude

OK.... from next time I gonna use RAW format for taking the pictures
But the main thing is when I zoom into the picture it starts losing details and getting blur

I have some questions.

Based on what you have posted, the shots don't look bad. The pelican looks a little fuzzy around the head, but the feathers on the body seem quite crisp, slight mis focus there maybe. Same on the deer, there is a line in front of the creature on the ground that looks sharper. I would maybe go up to F8 and ISO 200 to keep your 1/500 shutter speed but increase depth of field. You say you focus on the eye, was this in single point focus or were you in one of the modes that selects the best point for the job? Also, what focus mode? I can't see what is wrong with the building.

Something that is work mentioning, all the shots seem to be in challenging light which when the subject is at the right angle can be stunning, but the bird and deer are not optimal for that. The building just doesn't have good light so will not look crisp.

How far are you zooming into the picture and what levels of sharpness are you expecting? This might be the most important question as sometimes expectations from a DSLR are way above what is actually possible.

First advice would be to shoot raw

I would disagree with this as first advice. RAW will not help someone who is still learning good camera technique and will only add another obstacle.

I have some questions.

Based on what you have posted, the shots don't look bad. The pelican looks a little fuzzy around the head, but the feathers on the body seem quite crisp, slight mis focus there maybe. Same on the deer, there is a line in front of the creature on the ground that looks sharper. I would maybe go up to F8 and ISO 200 to keep your 1/500 shutter speed but increase depth of field. You say you focus on the eye, was this in single point focus or were you in one of the modes that selects the best point for the job? Also, what focus mode? I can't see what is wrong with the building.

Something that is work mentioning, all the shots seem to be in challenging light which when the subject is at the right angle can be stunning, but the bird and deer are not optimal for that. The building just doesn't have good light so will not look crisp.

How far are you zooming into the picture and what levels of sharpness are you expecting? This might be the most important question as sometimes expectations from a DSLR are way above what is actually possible.

I would disagree with this as first advice. RAW will not help someone who is still learning good camera technique and will only add another obstacle.

But if they overexposed or underexposed they still have a file they can process....

But if they overexposed or underexposed they still have a file they can process....
Plenty of scope for that with a jpeg too. Not as much as a raw file but still plenty.
Don't get me wrong, I love RAW, but it is no substitute for learning how to use the camera and resolve issues that are technique related.

I have some questions.

It was AI focus mode if I am not wrong.... the level of sharpness I was expecting is when I zoom into the picture it should give details rather start getting blur...the distance was about 7-10 meters away from subject

Agreed totally woth the technique but it can save you especially when you first start learning good technique...

I don't think the op is miles off a good photo if anything it looks quite challenging light

Those shots don't look too bad to me to be honest, maybe put some crops of the images up and explain where you're not happy.

I wouldn't worry about raw at the moment, it's kind of superfluous to this question.

I have never had a 55-250 lens tbh so don't know what they are like....

Those shots don't look too bad to me to be honest, maybe put some crops of the images up and explain where you're not happy.

I wouldn't worry about raw at the moment, it's kind of superfluous to this question.
OK let me show you some of more pictures that I took of my friend and what is making me worried...wait

The only reason I bought the whole RAW thing up was so as op could increase sharpness shadows highlights to get desired results:) i think it is technique a bit also as stated

Another possibility if you are consistenatly missing focus is that your camera/lens combination are front/back focussing, not sure about the specifics of the T5i, but i suspect there should be some settings within the camera to adjust these things, there should be plenty of tutorials online on how to determine front/back focusing

Either that or it could be down to poor focusing technique, are you selecting the focus pint using the camera, or are you focus-recomposing, in which case you may be moving too much between the focusing and recomposing

It was AI focus mode if I am not wrong.... the level of sharpness I was expecting is when I zoom into the picture it should give details rather start getting blur...the distance was about 7-10 meters away from subject

Sadly AI Focus is still widely regarded as fairly awful. For static shots you want to be in one shot mode, and for moving targets in AI servo.
The benefit of one shot mode is the camera will not allow you to fire the shutter until the lens has finished focusing, which would certainly resolve what looks like a focus issue to me.

Do you know how far your are zooming in when looking at the images? Are we talking 100% or just keep zooming until it is blurry? How about if you zoom in the bits that look sharper?

First off, don't get hung up on the raw v jpeg debate there are loads of pro's and cons on both sides of that one.
Secondly, if you pixel peep, ie zoom right in on the back of your camera screen it will look noisy,
The 55-250 is a capable lens and a good beginners lens, but to be perfectly honest it'll never match the quality
of the L series lens.

Having spent a couple of minutes in photoshop, shadow / highlights / sharpen,
begs the question, are you using single point focus or multi point? if the latter, the camera will also lock on to the nearest or boldest object,
and quite likely not what you were wanting it to do.
When shooting live stock, always use single point focus and aim for the eye.

The pelican, not bad at all, although the focus point is just below the eye

IMG_0495-edited.jpg

Deer, the focus point is in front of the deer, you can see where the grass is sharper than the animals face

IMG_0487-edit.jpg

Building, I'm not sure what you think is wrong with this?
Save a little editing, it looks fine

IMG_0447-edit.jpg

See the sharpness is losing around the corners and it is loosing details :(1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

If you are getting in to pixel peaking... take it from an addict you will spend loads on equipment lol

If you are getting in to pixel peaking... take it from an addict you will spend loads on equipment lol
yeah maybe am looking for pixel level details and am not getting that
I have seen pictures of the same equipment and that were giving details on pixel level.... so what is wrong with my settings/equipment?

See the sharpness is losing around the corners and it is loosing details :(View attachment 60679 View attachment 60680 View attachment 60681

Looks like you're zooming in beyond 100% and ANY lens/camera combo will look non-sharp when you do that.

The pelican looks more than acceptably sharp considering the kit, with the deer you've missed the focus point slightly and with the building the bit that is in focus is the bottom middle, taking a crop from far away from here will inevitably be soft but that's because it is out of focus, not because the kit isn't sharp.

oh, do make sure the jpg compression isn't on high. Not sure on Canon nomenclature but on other cameras you want it on fine or superfine, not normal.

Back