Canon utility remote control

Name
colin butler
Edit My Images
No
May be a daft question but here goes.
I have a canon 7dmkii and want to use the remote facility and shoot direct to my laptop wirelessly, and even use my phone to control the camera from a fixed position whilst I am away from the camera.
I see that there is an option to purchase a wi-fi adaptor for my camera, with my question being as I photograph birds and other wildlife I will be out in the sticks will this work with no internet available or is there another option available for me.

Cheers

Yes - the original Canon WFT transmitters don't need to run through a WIfi network. They are a Wifi network in themselves. They broadcast - your phone connects to it.

Or maybe use a long USB cable - you can use up to a 5m long one. I've done this before using the software to control and record images onto a laptop for time lapse install of some equipment over a day.

Controlling remote shooting works fine, however if you want to use for tethered shooting to your laptop that may well slow down your frame rate. Depends what you’re doing whether that’s important for you.

The Canon W-E1 WiFi adapter is something I'm interested in too.
Primarily I'd be using it 'tethered' to my 7DmkII, to photograph birds on a makeshift feeding station, whilst I remain indoors, watching through patio doors.
Running a (longer) cable is not an option for me because I need to keep the door closed.

I've read that it is ok when tethered to a laptop, using the Canon EOS utility software, but can anyone say how well it works with an Android tablet with the compatible Canon free app?

I know burst rates will be very much slower, but what about lag between hitting the shutter button and shutter actuation?
Is it reliable, or glitchy?

I'm happy to sacrifice burst rates, if it works reliably....I would only be about three or four feet away.

Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks.

:)

Last edited:
Ive found canon remote shooting fast, but not with that specific adapter. Why not use remote shooting to keep the burst rate then transfer the files as a second step at your leisure?

Ive found canon remote shooting fast, but not with that specific adapter. Why not use remote shooting to keep the burst rate then transfer the files as a second step at your leisure?

I assume you mean using a simpler wireless IR trigger unit?
It would be cheaper and faster for sure, and you're right....I would retain the fast bursts.

I had thought about it - I could preset focus, lock it off, and shoot multiples, but tbh I would prefer to be more selective....and being able to live-view before taking the shot from the comfort of my nice sofa rather appeals to me.;)

Also I would probably want to shoot in 'silent' mode....although as we all know the 7DmkII is never really silent!:D
So considering that my rig will likely be no more than five or six feet away from the feeding station, I'm willing to forgo the high burst luxury, in favour of a more patient, selective approach. Plus there's the seemingly never-ending cull of poor shots!....which doesn't appeal to me!

May I ask if the wireless triggers are line-of-sight?
I would be positioned behind the camera, so if the IR sensor is on the front of the camera, I couldn't use it.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Last edited:
I’m using 5DM4 which has wireless built in and WFT-E8 adapter for the 1DXM2. With remote shooting you still see the live view image on your screen from the comfort of your sofa. The pics are recorded on the camera card, then you transfer the pics to your computer which can take a while for full size raw. For tethered shooting you’re slowed down by waiting for each pic to write to your computer before another can be taken if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the info Tim.

I think the W-E1 wifi adapter is specific to dual card slot, non-wifi EOS cameras like the 7DmkII if I'm not mistaken - it's an SD card shape and takes up the SD slot, leaving just the CF.
Your WFT-E8 is a serious bit of kit indeed, and seems to be only compatible to the 1DXmkII.

I believe the functionality is similar however,....albeit much more efficient, faster and secure with the WFT-E8 as I understand.
I'm fairly familiar with wireless tethering to a laptop....and indeed the speed limitations of the W-E1, but what I would like to know is how reliable it would be to tether to an Android tablet?
(My laptop is old and frail, and probably wouldn't perform well)
I've heard/read mixed reviews about the W-E1 and tablets - some say it is a pain to connect and regularly loses connections....and suffers huge shutter lag etc.
As it's only priced at around £40, I might just buy one anyway and test it for myself....just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience with tethering to tablets/mobile devices.

Thanks
:)

[**Edit**]

Well, I've just been looking into the compatibility of the 7DmkII with the Canon Camera Connect app....and it looks like it is one of very few cameras that isn't supported! Thanks Canon!!

Typical!:rolleyes:

Anyway, I've just ordered the W-E1 wifi card from DigitalRev for £25 which I'm pleased about, but looks as though I'll be using my laptop afterall - fingers crossed it holds up.

Last edited:
Hi Gareth it’s been a busy week just seen your reply. For 25 I don’t think you can go wrong, let us know how it works! Fingers crossed..

Hi Gareth it’s been a busy week just seen your reply. For 25 I don’t think you can go wrong, let us know how it works! Fingers crossed..
Thanks Tim, will-do. :)

It's shipping from Hong Kong (DHL), they say it should arrive before Christmas....fingers crossed also.

@newbie1 , well my W-E1 WiFi card arrived this morning, from DigitalRev in Hong Kong...quite quick really, all things considered.

I had to update the firmware in my 7DmkII, to enable WiFi capability.
Then I installed the (free) Canon Camera Connect app on my aging Nexus 7 tablet, and it connected with the camera instantly!!

Not sure why that app description says it isn't compatible with the 7DmkII, but I'm not complaining....it works flawlessly!!

I haven't tested it fully yet, but all features seem to be present and correct - live view, autofocus, camera settings etc, and because it stores the images on the remaining (CF) card, burst speeds don't seem to be affected.
Shutter lag seems tolerable too....I estimate a quarter of a second max....roughly, which is better than I was expecting.

Not sure if I can wirelessly transmit images from camera to tablet yet...I would think I could....need to have a good rummage through some settings.

Anyway, I'm absolutely thrilled with it so far....it will transform my remote shooting capabilities!

Best £25 I've ever spent!:)

Last edited:
Hi Gareth that’s great news! Sounds like you can download images using the canon connect app too.

Hi Gareth that’s great news! Sounds like you can download images using the canon connect app too.

Yes, however, it can only transfer JPEGs at 1920x1080 resolution....which isn't great....but the full sized RAWs remain on the CF card, which is fine by me - I would want to transfer them and process them on my big PC anyway.

Just tried the full burst rate and it is indeed the maximum for my camera - 10 fps....which is great news.

Can't wait to set it up outside now....I am poised to be the laziest bird photographer around!!:D

Back