Canon's DPP software-does anyone use it?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
I have tried several different free versions of image processing software, including Elements 8.0, and to date have not found any that I prefer to Canon's own DPP. I recently read somewhere that DPP is likely to produce the best results from Canon raw files.
It often appears that everyone seems to be using some version of photoshop, or some other software.
I agree that much more adjustments can be made with photoshop, but for just basic processing of a raw file, is it just me that is using it?

No, not just you, I do all my pics with DPP, if I get any really good ones then I will spend a little more time with Photoshop. If I do them all with PS I would be spending hours with a program that really does far too much for my needs.

As most people tell me, the real art is getting the right shot in the first place!!

Paul

I just bought PSE8 and downloaded Camera Raw but keep going back to Canons own DPP - I just like the whole look and layout of it.

That was my experience as well. DPP gets the best out of Canon RAW files IMO. I usually adjust exposure, WB, Picture Style parameters within DPP and convert from DPP straight into Photoshop as a 16 bit TIFF for further editing.

Cheers
HighPriest

I use DPP all the time, if you want the best RAW conversion then DPP is the way to go with out a doubt.

Just remember CANON DPP is a RAW converter, Adobe PS is a digital art package with a RAW converter stuck on the end, there is a difference.

I use DPP all the time, if you want the best RAW conversion then DPP is the way to go with out a doubt.

Just remember CANON DPP is a RAW converter, Adobe PS is a digital art package with a RAW converter stuck on the end, there is a difference.

Adobe PS has a Raw converter. I use this cos it's what I'm use too. Felt a little lost with DPP!

Adobe PS has a Raw converter. I use this cos it's what I'm use too. Felt a little lost with DPP!

I started using Photoshop for RAW images but I wasn't happy with the results from my 50D. I tried DPP but the first time I just couldn't get used to it. Once I had spent a little time with it though I found it much quicker than Photoshop for converting RAW images.

I still use Photoshop for cloning and other alterations but for simple adjustments like exposure, levels, cropping and rotating I'll use DPP. I find it much quicker when dealing with a few hundred images.

Another reason why I use DPP to convert RAW images is Adobe want me to upgrade my version of Photoshop to use the latest ACR, I dont see why I should buy their product twice when DPP does a better job for free.

I convert all my RAW'S in DPP before sending to CS4 as a 16 bit tiff for finishing. I have ACR and a few other RAW converters but prefer DPP.

I rarely use anything other than DPP. I used to use PSP to straighten horizons but the latest DPP does that so I don't need to use much else.

yep... DPP is my 1st call, with any fettles in ellements when required.

Another for DPP and then run the jpeg through PS

I rarely use anything other than DPP. I used to use PSP to straighten horizons but the latest DPP does that so I don't need to use much else.

Where can you do that in DPP? I'm always 1-2 degree's out when hand held so could save me ages if I can avoid opening up PS

Where can you do that in DPP? I'm always 1-2 degree's out when hand held so could save me ages if I can avoid opening up PS

You need to have the latest version of DPP to do that. Go to tools, then choose "start trimming/angle adjustment tool" or press alt+c.

This is very interesting. I didn't install any of the Canon apps and have been using Aperture. Does anyone have a view on how Aperture performs on the raw conversion compared to DPP?

This is very interesting. I didn't install any of the Canon apps and have been using Aperture. Does anyone have a view on how Aperture performs on the raw conversion compared to DPP?

Snap - interested here as well as I've been using aperture since I got my 500D and haven't used anything else since as it just works for me

Back