Capture a stranger street style : Part 2

"Excellent" candid street style shot Roger, well seen & captured.

"If you don't mind me saying, a bit of cropping from the right wouldn't do any harm"
Thanks George, I did think of that but I dislike square crops ... it would have been nice if there were less obstructions around her as she was walking back and forth and a clear shot would have given more options, c'est la vie :)

Heads Up

People like @Merlin5 @garryknight @gramps @saltireblue and a few more of you street toggers might be interested in this.

Three street toggers that I have been following recently that you might be interested in taking a look at their work are, on Instagram is Alan Schaller whom I'm sure you've heard of, Mark Fearnley also on Instagram, and a guy called Pascal Colin on Flickr. All of these are well worth a look at and a good source of inspiration.

I’ve been out today trying my hand at street.
What settings do you all use?
I shot FF at 250 shutter speed but images of people walking are slightly blurred.

I shot FF at 250 shutter speed but images of people walking are slightly blurred.

Peter, I certainly don't know what others use but personally I don't worry too much about shutter speeds, I usually set my lens for something like F5.6, and my auto ISO at Base up to 6400 if using APS-C or 3200 if using one of my RX cameras. A bit of movement with people moving about and a bit of noise in a snap doesn't bother me one bit. In fact some times I think it helps a snap.

I'm normally around 1/250th but if I know I will be doing anything a bit faster moving I'll go 1/640th.
It's easy to quickly grab at the shutter though if you are nervous about taking your time to photograph people candidly and that will cause movement blur.

Very nice candid street style shot Garry, works for me really well.

Thanks, George. :)

Heads Up
Three street toggers that I have been following recently that you might be interested in taking a look at their work are, on Instagram is Alan Schaller whom I'm sure you've heard of, Mark Fearnley also on Instagram, and a guy called Pascal Colin on Flickr. All of these are well worth a look at and a good source of inspiration.

Thanks again. I don't do Instagram, but I'll certainly check out Pascal Colin, and see if the others have any work elsewhere.

Edit: There are 7 people called Pascal Colin, and 2 called Colin Pascal. ;)

Last edited:

Thanks again. I don't do Instagram, but I'll certainly check out Pascal Colin, and see if the others have any work elsewhere.

It's definitely Pascal Colin, if you type the name into the search thing at the top of your home screen and select people Pascal Colin is usually the first name that comes up in the follow list etc if that helps.

Heads Up

People like @Merlin5 @garryknight @gramps @saltireblue and a few more of you street toggers might be interested in this.

Thanks very much for the heads up, George. Alan Schaller is my favourite B&W street photographer. I didn't know of Mark Fearnley or Pascal Colin but have just taken a look and wow, exceptional work by both! I found Mark Fearnley's work on Flickr as well. I'm going to continue to browse their photos.

I use an aps-c camera and seem to randomly select all sorts of apertures from f1.4 to f7.1. I just looked through my Flickr and in most photos I seem to have used f1.4, f3.2 and f4. I open to max aperture of f1.4 quite a lot when there's low light. I try to keep a minimum shutter speed of 1/500 to freeze motion and I shoot with continuous fps. My camera has IBIS which really helps with keeping the camera steady. I'm generally in aperture priority but quite often switch to manual if I specifically want a particular aperture and shutter speed. And I almost exclusively use auto ISO.

Last edited:

Hey Garry, I believe it's these two.

Heads Up

MAny thanks for the heads-up, George...will have a look tomorrow when I have some spare time to myself! (Read: wife is out;))

Hey Garry, I believe it's these two.

That's the ones I was talking about Lee, I just didn't know how to put a link to them on TP.

The streets are full of older people, who are sometimes much more interesting than young fashion victims...

Older people outside Sidmouth Market GH2 P1320250.JPG

What is it with ripped jeans? :thinking:

Reactions: Sky
Heads Up

I've done a workshop with Mark Fearnley, great guy and awesome workshop. Highly recommend it

I've done a workshop with Mark Fearnley, great guy and awesome workshop. Highly recommend it

That's interesting Ben, I've heard his workshops are good.

"Faceless Chat"

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a couple of Ladies taking a rest on a public bench and appearing to be having a Secret Meeting.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

Faceless Chat (1)-03575 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

Back