Capture One Express ending

The Adobe subscription is great value. For £9.99 a month you get Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, Lightroom mobile, Lightroom on the iPad, Photoshop, a free portfolio website builder and cloud syncing to tie it all together. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can baulk at it, it's a bargain compared to anything else on the market. They've never raised the price and the only thing I can think is that it's so popular and they're raking in so much money from it that they don't need to.

It is great value and if you get it on the Black Friday deals then you only pay around £6.80/month. That’s peanuts for anybody serious about photography as a hobby.

I honestly get sick to the back teeth of people whinging about such tiny costs for a hobby. You spends £100s if not £1000s on camera gear and then expect software vendors to give you their software for free.

It's terrible value for me.
Don't use anything but Lightroom Classic, the 100 or so photos I take a year would work out at £1.20 each to edit. You think that's a bargain.
I'll take free anyday.

I'm sure it's great for a lot of people but hardly everyone.
We get it. Shoot jpgs or find another hobby.

Last edited:
It's terrible value for me.
Don't use anything but Lightroom Classic, the 100 or so photos I take a year would work out at £1.20 each to edit. You think that's a bargain.
I'll take free anyday.

I'm sure it's great for a lot of people but hardly everyone.
I would question the logic of having a few grands worth of camera gear that shoots 100 images a year but yes it would be terrible value for you. Nobody owes you free editing software because you don't shoot much. Use your camera more maybe?

I use LR pretty much every day, certainly multiple times a week, and host my website on adobe portfolio. I pay £20 a month for 1Tb cloud storage as its essential for an iPad workflow, and my dad uses the LR classic part of my sub as the licence allows for 2 computers.

I would question the logic of having a few grands worth of camera gear that shoots 100 images a year but yes it would be terrible value for you. Nobody owes you free editing software because you don't shoot much. Use your camera more maybe?

I use LR pretty much every day, certainly multiple times a week, and host my website on adobe portfolio. I pay £20 a month for 1Tb cloud storage as its essential for an iPad workflow, and my dad uses the LR classic part of my sub as the licence allows for 2 computers.
I used to use it a lot more, then my second child came along. I even paid for the Adobe subscription, but just can't justify it now, Capture One Express was perfect.

Capture One Express is a simplified variant that is brand specific. It omits some features and is free to use.
IIRC C1Express was the free version, not brand specific. I bought the Fuji version of C1Pro, which has now been retired, so I'm on the full version. I have C1Express on the family PC, mostly so I could test printing with something that actually has some control! I'm hoping they don't stop it working, just don't provide any updates or new licences.

BTW coming from the late, Lamented Aperture, C1Pro seemed like a more natural home than LR, and I jumped into it around the start of the subscription controversy. I'm pretty happy with my choice.

It is great value and if you get it on the Black Friday deals then you only pay around £6.80/month. That’s peanuts for anybody serious about photography as a hobby.

I honestly get sick to the back teeth of people whinging about such tiny costs for a hobby. You spends £100s if not £1000s on camera gear and then expect software vendors to give you their software for free.
I get sick to the back teeth off people presuming everyone has the same requirements.
Some software venders do give software for free! That's the whole point of this thread, I'll just find the next free software that suits my needs.

When I got my cameras and was really into photography we had two great incomes now we only have the one and are on universal credit. I have to watch money now pick and choose what I spend on the cameras don't cost me anything anymore a subscription does.

Anyway I'm going to give Darktable a go.

Last edited:
I get sick to the back teeth off people presuming everyone has the same requirements.
Some software venders do give software for free! That's the whole point of this thread, I'll just find the next free software that suits my needs.

When I got my cameras and was really into photography we had two great incomes now we only have the one and are on universal credit. I have to watch money now pick and choose what I spend on the cameras don't cost me anything anymore a subscription does.

Anyway I'm going to give Darktable a go.
I know there is free software available and some very reasonably priced software too. I recommended Affinity photo to you and others have recommended dark table but you’ve proceeded to tell us numerous time since, how Capture one and Adobe aren’t good value for you.

As has been pointed out to you software vendors aren’t required to give you free software just because you don’t use your camera much. I’m sure neither CO or Adobe will miss you, you’re obviously not their target market.

I don’t get to shoot as much as I like these days either, sometime I can go a month or more before getting out with the camera. Things get in the way but I’m not going to moan about a few quid every month for access to great software even though I don’t get to use it every day. All hobbies cost money and while photographers may have an initial high outlay for gear the costs thereafter are peanuts (especially with digital).

Can you imagine taking up track racing, buying a car or bike doing up the engine and then complaining because you’re charged for fuel and tyres?

Last edited:
. They've never raised the price and the only thing I can think is that it's so popular and they're raking in so much money from it that they don't need to.

They did raise the price back in 2017.

My comment was made that they didn't leverage it as much as I would have expected.

The Adobe subscription is great value. For £9.99 a month you get Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, Lightroom mobile, Lightroom on the iPad, Photoshop, a free portfolio website builder and cloud syncing to tie it all together. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can baulk at it, it's a bargain compared to anything else on the market. They've never raised the price and the only thing I can think is that it's so popular and they're raking in so much money from it that they don't need to.
However you don't get InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, or the video applications. Subscription is poor value if you use page layout, pdf editing, vector drawing or video applications too. over £70 a month...

That's why I use Affinity and C1.

However you don't get InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, or the video applications. Subscription is poor value if you use page layout, pdf editing, vector drawing or video applications too. over £70 a month...

It is not £70 a month, I have had CC full suite for a few years now and never paid that much, and no, it is not a hooky copy.

I do a bit of freelance design for a music publisher so in effect I need it, especially indesign as that is the accepted software in the industry. Photoshop is a must as well, as so is Illy and Acrobat so, I get my moneys worth.

As for those whinging on about prices you have to pay for what you need especially with good software, yes there are freebies around but they will never be as good as the paid equivalents as freebies do not have the resources to develop.

If you want free then go for it, if you want to pay for better software then that is up to the individual, but there is a saying, there is no such thing as free lunch.

And so the great battle of self-justification continues. Oh for the simple innocence (& dissatisfactions) of an Instamatic and Max Spielmann processing & prints!

We all have differing budgets, needs, whims, perceptions, and as far as we're mostly chaps here goes (now there's a curious fact!), presumed testicle sizes.

Anyone remember The Fast Show? "This week, oi've bin usin' Adobe ..."

Thomas Fitzgerald reports: “All Capture One Express license keys will be disabled after January 30, 2024. To continue using Capture One, you'll need a license key for a current product, such as Capture One Pro.” He's a little upset about the speed and savagery of this move, while recognising that they may have good reasons not to allow more licences.

IIRC C1Express was the free version, not brand specific. I bought the Fuji version of C1Pro, which has now been retired, so I'm on the full version. I have C1Express on the family PC, mostly so I could test printing with something that actually has some control! I'm hoping they don't stop it working, just don't provide any updates or new licences.

BTW coming from the late, Lamented Aperture, C1Pro seemed like a more natural home than LR, and I jumped into it around the start of the subscription controversy. I'm pretty happy with my choice.
Like you, I went from the Nikon version to the full version. Just hoping that they do not do the same with the perpetual license version of C1 in the coming years as they have done with C1 Express.

I understand that you would not get updates etc unless you upgrade, but making it completely unusable is not good.

It is not £70 a month, I have had CC full suite for a few years now and never paid that much, and no, it is not a hooky copy.

I do a bit of freelance design for a music publisher so in effect I need it, especially indesign as that is the accepted software in the industry. Photoshop is a must as well, as so is Illy and Acrobat so, I get my moneys worth.

As for those whinging on about prices you have to pay for what you need especially with good software, yes there are freebies around but they will never be as good as the paid equivalents as freebies do not have the resources to develop.

If you want free then go for it, if you want to pay for better software then that is up to the individual, but there is a saying, there is no such thing as free lunch.
Well, thank you for the information. Yes, indeed, it isn’t £70, although it used to be.

Actually, it is £56.98 a month. So a whole £13 cheaper than I said.

I wouldn't expect any of those things on a product called the Photography Plan though.... I can't imagine there are very many hobbyists subscribing to the entire CC suite of all apps. £56.98 a month is a chunky amount but again you are getting a massive amount of software there which would have cost well into four figures to buy under a perpetual licence model.

You do get Adobe Rush on the Photography Plan as well which is a mobile video editor, and LR can do very basic video editing too so you could get by if you were just doing stuff like Instagram Reels or basic YouTube videos.

I wouldn't expect any of those things on a product called the Photography Plan though.... I can't imagine there are very many hobbyists subscribing to the entire CC suite of all apps. £56.98 a month is a chunky amount but again you are getting a massive amount of software there which would have cost well into four figures to buy under a perpetual licence model.

You do get Adobe Rush on the Photography Plan as well which is a mobile video editor, and LR can do very basic video editing too so you could get by if you were just doing stuff like Instagram Reels or basic YouTube videos.
The Photography plan is good value. In it though, you don't get their other apps. If you want them individually, it might make sense to pay a further £22 a month. It is interesting when Adobe is called an Industry standard, when pdf is probably the only standard output it has. The downside of an 'Industry Standard' is the risk of monopoly. If I employed designers, layout people etc, I'd hope that they knew what was required to make a design, edit a photograph, layout a page, in an application, rather than be constricted to CC.

I used to upgrade CS every other iteration. There's no way that cost anywhere near four figures, as you suggest. Maybe I wasn't an ideal Adobe customer, but I was a customer. Now I am not.

Last edited:
When I wrote this, I didn't know they planned to cancel existing licences, as now appears to be the case. And I had forgotten one of my reasons for having C1Express on the PC. I mostly use a Mac, currently running under Ventura 13.6.2. I have a pending update to Sonoma, but I've been holding off because of rumours that printer drivers for ancient printers will not be supported. I don't print very often, but I still want to be able to do it. So the plan was to pass files across to the PC and use C1Express to print them. When I was testing various printing problems earlier in the year, I couldn't fund a free photo tool with decent print controls until I tried C1Express, which worked really well.

The only photo software on the PC are standard Photos tools etc; don't have LR, PS or whatever the cheap version is called.

I guess I need a plan B now. Plan C is buy a new printer, but I'd have to comprehensively prove the current one was broken before that becomes a possibility! So is there any free photo software for PC with good print controls?

All im confused about is why cancel everyones license, just stop supporting it and let people take the risk

I still use 20 on a perpetual and can indefinitely

Does it require an internet connection to run? If not just block it and it'll carry on working.

Did you seriously just suggest flagrant copyright infringement?
No. Not in the slightest.
Plenty of people don't have an always on connection.

From what I gather from a quick search it requires it every 30 days so won't work anyway.

Last edited:
My objection to subscription is not the price, but what happens when I stop paying or they stop providing it (e.g. go bust). This latest trick from Phase One is very worrying because it implies that the "perpetual" software will simply expire.

My objection to subscription is not the price, but what happens when I stop paying or they stop providing it (e.g. go bust). This latest trick from Phase One is very worrying because it implies that the "perpetual" software will simply expire.
It does seem an odd decision. Fine stop supporting it, but to just disable it as well.
From reading around the perpetual license terms and conditions has some worrying wording in it as well, seems to suggest they can do the same with that.

It does seem an odd decision. Fine stop supporting it, but to just disable it as well.
From reading around the perpetual license terms and conditions has some worrying wording in it as well, seems to suggest they can do the same with that.
This is what is worrying me as I currently have the perpetual license version which I last updated in earlier this year.

Here is a read up on Pro 23 which I have, still have but don't use anymore are. Affinity Photo, ON1 Raw 2023, plus DXO.

Last edited:
No. Not in the slightest.
Plenty of people don't have an always on connection.

From what I gather from a quick search it requires it every 30 days so won't work anyway.
Very true. I only connect when I need too. And yes, they do keep reminding you that you have to go on line to verify it every now and then.

Tried a few alternatives in the last few days, so far DxO Photolab is the winner. £129 one off.
Be interesting in a years time to see how Phase Ones plan works out whether more people upgraded or moved else where.

It seems none of these 'One Off' or 'Perpetual' licences are not really one off or perpetual. It will last until they stop supporting it. I mean you may be still / probably still run Lightroom 1.0 on a 32bit windows machine from the mid 2000's but would you really want to?

Last edited:
Here is a read up on Pro 23 which I have, still have but don't use anymore are. Affinity Photo, ON1 Raw 2023, plus DXO.

I read that, but don't recognise it, maybe I bought my C1Pro 23 early enough to miss it (October 22)? I read through the licence last night, and it seems to be unequivocally "perpetual", apart from some weird language about "termination for convenience"! I'm on 16.2.2.something, and did a check for updates, 16.2.6 is available for me. I'm slightly wary of downloading it, as (a) ISTR updating C1Pro is a right fiddle, getting the licence to work again, and (b) that might be an opportunity for a "new" licence for me to agree to! AFAIK I don't need the new version anyway, since 99% of my photos are scanned film.

It seems none of these 'One Off' or 'Perpetual' licences are not really one off or perpetual. It will last until they stop supporting it. I mean you may be still / probably still run Lightroom 1.0 on a 32bit windows machine from the mid 2000's but would you really want to?
At £129 it becomes better value than lightroom after 2 years. DxO specifically doesn't require repeated activations as well so once activated that's it.

I'm sure there are all sorts of things in most licence agreements that most people wouldn't be happy with, but nobody reads them, we all just click 'Accept' and move on without actually thinking about what we're agreeing to.

Remember you don't actually purchase software, you purchase a licence that allows you to use the software. There is obviously a clause in the C1 Express licence that allows them to turn it off and prevent access to it.

it seems to be unequivocally "perpetual", apart from some weird language about "termination for convenience"!
I'm sure it's their convenience, not the users, and that sounds like a massive catch-all term that basically allows them to do whatever they want.

One thing people forget is that you can use a reasonable amount of Lightroom for free, certainly on the mobile apps. You can do a lot of editing without a subscription, I think the only things missing are Raw editing, the masking features and some other bits. But if you're just shooting jpegs and want to make basic tweaks you can use LR without paying a penny.

Last edited:
I read that, but don't recognise it, maybe I bought my C1Pro 23 early enough to miss it (October 22)? I read through the licence last night, and it seems to be unequivocally "perpetual", apart from some weird language about "termination for convenience"! I'm on 16.2.2.something, and did a check for updates, 16.2.6 is available for me. I'm slightly wary of downloading it, as (a) ISTR updating C1Pro is a right fiddle, getting the licence to work again, and (b) that might be an opportunity for a "new" licence for me to agree to! AFAIK I don't need the new version anyway, since 99% of my photos are scanned film.
I'd recommend saving your current Workspace before updating the program. Some updates have set the workspace back to teh default for me. A right pain. Had to open the old version, save the Workspace and then make sure it was in the right folder for the new version.

Tried a few alternatives in the last few days, so far DxO Photolab is the winner. £129 one off.
Be interesting in a years time to see how Phase Ones plan works out whether more people upgraded or moved else where.
Had a quick check, PL7 (current) was released ~2yrs after PL6, and the 'upgrade' was £99.

Upgrades are only from the previous version (IE If you bought PL7 and decided not to upgrade to PL8 when available, PL9 would be full price).

So it really depends on what you want - the LR bundle is always on the most recent version, and is ~£70/year via discounted Amazon bundles.

Had a quick check, PL7 (current) was released ~2yrs after PL6, and the 'upgrade' was £99.

Upgrades are only from the previous version (IE If you bought PL7 and decided not to upgrade to PL8 when available, PL9 would be full price).

So it really depends on what you want - the LR bundle is always on the most recent version, and is ~£70/year via discounted Amazon bundles.
Previous software I've had I only upgraded when I changed camera as it didn't support it. This is back in the lightroom days before subscription.
So I'm happy to keep it for many years.

At £129 it becomes better value than lightroom after 2 years. DxO specifically doesn't require repeated activations as well so once activated that's it.

2 years is a LONG time in software development. Even though I have an up to date Adobe Sub, but one of my Macs are so old, it is not running the latest copy of LR, it doesn't have denoise...and PS doesn't have the Generative AI feature. I have already had to move some photos to my newer MBP to do some edits because of that. And those features only came out April this year.

The difference between 2 years of LR/PS vs your 2 years of what you are buying is only £10. Not worth it for me, and not worth risking another company shifting to a subscription model and going through this fiasco all over again.

You could get two years of LR subs for that if you buy on the black friday / prime day deals, and you'd get constantly updated software, PS, and all the rest of it. I don't see £129 for one bit of software that will be out of date in 2 years as good value.

You could get two years of LR subs for that if you buy on the black friday / prime day deals, and you'd get constantly updated software, PS, and all the rest of it. I don't see £129 for one bit of software that will be out of date in 2 years as good value.
What, why will it be out of date? It will last and suite me perfectly until i change camera and i need to update.

What, why will it be out of date? It will last and suite me perfectly until i change camera and i need to update.
It will be out of date in terms of missing any new features added or updated in those 2 years - which may or may not be important to you, depending on what is added, and your particular needs.
If you keep the same camera for a long time, and don't do a lot of editing, then a one-time purchase to last 3-4 years may well be the best choice for you.

It will be out of date in terms of missing any new features added or updated in those 2 years - which may or may not be important to you, depending on what is added, and your particular needs.
If you keep the same camera for a long time, and don't do a lot of editing, then a one-time purchase to last 3-4 years may well be the best choice for you.
Exactly. The software will do the same thing in 4 years as it does when I buy it, which is fine. I don't constantly crave the greatest and latest, I won't get upset if they add a feature I don't need in 12 months.

Back