Capture One Pro vs Lightroom vs DxO....[Capture One wins!]

Well my plan, was to pick one of Lightroom/Capture One or Dx0, (but I don't know which one as I haven't really used any of them) as my main software.
Then I was hoping to use Photoshop Elements (13) or Pixelmator as my "playing with" software as I wouldn't really have any use (I think) for a full blown version of Photoshop.

CO Express is no longer available, I'm afraid. Unless of course you already have it installed.

I think it's very easy to fall into the trap of over-processing and over-sharpening whatever software one uses.

The fundamental consideration for any editor surely has to be how good its RAW Converter results are? PPS seems to be a bit of an unknown in that respect when compared with CO8.

EDIT:
I have now confirmed that Perfect Photo Suite is not a RAW processor : http://photofocus.com/2015/01/07/qa-onones-perfect-photo-suite-9/

CO Express is still available (FOC) for Sony owners.

I didn't know about the lack of RAW processing ability in PPS. Guess that's why it's a good partner working with LR.

Well my plan, was to pick one of Lightroom/Capture One or Dx0, (but I don't know which one as I haven't really used any of them) as my main software.
Then I was hoping to use Photoshop Elements (13) or Pixelmator as my "playing with" software as I wouldn't really have any use (I think) for a full blown version of Photoshop.

Watch some of the videos demonstrating how they work. Worth emphasising DXOP is for image development and cataloguing ONLY, and doesn't have even the basic brush and masking tools of Lightroom. However PE does have those tools & more besides, so if you don't need them in a single package then it should be fine.

Am now planning to download a Capture One Pro 8 Trial later today. There are just so many independent reports that CO8's RAW Converter is superior to Lightroom's and I think that CO8 will suit my usage/workflow better than DxO.

I don't have a card reader so would need to launch Mac's Image Capture < Anything I should know before I do this, please Tim? @twhite87

Last edited:
Just given CO 8.2 (Sony) edition a quick spin. Yet another way of doing image dev, giving a different, neutral feel to an image compared to the other 2. I'll need to do more evaluation, and although it seemed to give less edge artefacts than DXOP, it is easy to overcook the 'structure' control to end up with a hard looking image. It gives a smoother and less film-like look to images IMO than DXOP, and offers better tonal control, but doesn't seem as effective in noise reduction, removing CA and lens correction. It's also a very great deal faster than DXOP. However one thing that was odd was that I exported an image from CO, first as a DNG file, then as a TIFF & imported into LR, however neither image looked much like they had in CO, being much darker, and requiring considerable tonal compensation to get anywhere near where they had started off.

My gut feeling is that one would be better off really learning one package very well IF one could always be controlled about how images are developed, but that would tend to also force work to look a particular way, and that might not be desirable.

Downloaded Capture One 8.2 on 30-day Trial yesterday and imported 565 RAW files from my CF card into a Catalog. I set CO to Import with auto adjustments and its RAW converter really is up to what it's claimed to be.

I tested a workflow whereby I actioned from within CO8 'Edit with...' Photoshop CS6 and it created a TIF. I then applied Imageonic Noise Reduction plug-in filter to a selected background only (bird photo), reduced the size and further edited with Perfect Photo Suite 9.5 routed from within Photoshop. It was automatically saved back to Photoshop where I applied Smart Sharpen filter as a final step before Save, which then automatically rolled all my edits back into the CO8 image. Then Exported as JPG to a folder on my HD.

So this was exactly the same workflow as I used to do but I simply substituted CO8.2 in place of Aperture 3.6. I haven't explored CO8's RAW editing yet.

I was very glad that I didn't have to take the file to an external folder or desktop in order to use these three editing apps - They all integrate.

I had a long chat today with a friend who mostly shoots mono landscapes on a Mamiya film camera and he told me that PhaseOne (who develop Capture One) are an established company with a very good reputation among professionals. I'm hearing of lots of photographers, both amateur and professional, who shoot RAW and are migrating from Aperture, and even Lightroom, to Capture One. I doubt very much that people will be going back to whatever Apple do with Photos' future and furthermore Apple ain't promising anything attractive anyway.

As a Phase One user my self ive been using Capture One Pro since 2005, and its developing (haha no pun intended) into a fantastic programme, it has always had the best RAW converter there is, well apart from RAW Developer which is on par for just processing RAW files. I shoot with a number of cameras and formats Phase One, Mamiya, Leica, Canon and the converter is brilliant on each format, you also get great support from Phase One, I is my choice of RAW converter and would recommend it to anyone.

As a Phase One user my self ive been using Capture One Pro since 2005, and its developing (haha no pun intended) into a fantastic programme, it has always had the best RAW converter there is, well apart from RAW Developer which is on par for just processing RAW files. I shoot with a number of cameras and formats Phase One, Mamiya, Leica, Canon and the converter is brilliant on each format, you also get great support from Phase One, I is my choice of RAW converter and would recommend it to anyone.

....That's great to hear! Very encouraging and gives me (and others) a lot of faith in choosing Capture One Pro instead of Lightroom - I only wanted to buy one RAW editor rather than two, although Aperture will remain on my HD for some time.

Glad to hear its going well Robin,keep us informed of how it goes over the next few days.

....Will do :)

So far I am finding there is of course a learning curve and I haven't got the hang of arranging an album tree yet but the processing is very nice indeed and gives natural looking results. Below is one of my first examples, P-P in Capture One 8 (CO8) and only finished off in Photoshop CS6 to noise reduce (Imageonic plug-in) the background only and to Smart Sharpen. CO8 has a sharpening palette but I haven't tried it yet mostly because of already being in Photoshop for the selected noise reduction. It's probably possible to do it all in CO8 but I wanted to see how using CO8 compares with Aperture when in my usual workflow. I don't often photograph people so I'm quite pleased with this portrait of a friend :

[WHY ISN'T THIS POST DISPLAYING THE IMAGE HOSTED FROM PHOTOBUCKET?]

^ Canon 100-400mm L IS II on 7D Mark II, very minor post-processing in Capture One 8.

Last edited:
Just to throw another in the mix, have you looked at Iridient Developer. I have found the raw convertor to be very good indeed, but there is no digital asset management as in Aperture. I will also concur that I have been flowing several sites and discussions about where to go after Aperture ends ( which won't be till the next OS after Yosemite) and LR is dismissed by most people as no longer the first choice (or 2nd and 3rd for lots)

As a side note Photos is not a replacement for iPhotos, is far far worse, infact iPhotos was a pro app in comparison.

Just to throw another in the mix, have you looked at Iridient Developer. I have found the raw convertor to be very good indeed, but there is no digital asset management as in Aperture. I will also concur that I have been flowing several sites and discussions about where to go after Aperture ends ( which won't be till the next OS after Yosemite) and LR is dismissed by most people as no longer the first choice (or 2nd and 3rd for lots)

As a side note Photos is not a replacement for iPhotos, is far far worse, infact iPhotos was a pro app in comparison.

....No I haven't considered Iridient Developer and it wouldn't suit my needs if it has no asset management. Also I would much rather more efficiently minimise the number of different Apps in my workflow. Sad in a way to hear about Lightroom's reputation fading but it has a huge user base which probably won't want to move.

I haven't even bothered to try out Apple's Photos - I read enough about it from other users to know it wouldn't be suitable for me as a serious amateur photographer who exclusively shoots RAW.

[WHY ISN'T THIS POST DISPLAYING THE IMAGE HOSTED FROM PHOTOBUCKET?]
I've just been back through your edit history and there is no link or URL in any of your posts.
Silly question, but are you sure you copied it over?

I've just been back through your edit history and there is no link or URL in any of your posts.
Silly question, but are you sure you copied it over?

....Firstly, thanks for such a prompt response :)

Yes, I not only copied it another couple of times but the image displayed when I opened the Edit window overlay, hence suggesting it was successfully linked.

I'm going to post the image via Photobucket again but in this post just to test it....

^^^^ EDIT: Same behaviour of image displaying in Edit overlay window but not in the post.

Last edited:
^^^^ EDIT: Same behaviour of image displaying in Edit overlay window but not in the post.
Now that's curious, but not the first time its happened (Its happened to me and others, also in the past)
If I edit your post I can see the image. but not see it in the thread.

I see that you have reported it, I'll give Marcel a nudge for you when he clocks on (y)

Now that's curious, but not the first time its happened (Its happened to me and others, also in the past)
If I edit your post I can see the image. but not see it in the thread.

I see that you have reported it, I'll give Marcel a nudge for you when he clocks on (y)

....Cheers :)

Even stranger is that my further edit in #54 posting to test a different image (of a Black Redstart) displayed but on refresh that image plus the accompanying text has disappeared.

Even stranger is that my further edit in #54 posting to test a different image (of a Black Redstart)
Well thats weird as I see a young lady with a Harris Hawk!

If I take the url off the image in the post I get a clickable link
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b308/RedRobin_05/WILDLIFE - Birds/Layla_2668vc.jpg
In the mean time, I suspect that there could be [ img ] tags missing?

....Unfortunately for the purposes of solving this mystery, the [ IMG ] [ /IMG ] tags are there. Perhaps it's a Photobucket fault.

Layla_2668vc.jpg

Unfortunately for the purposes of solving this mystery, the [ IMG ] [ /IMG ] tags are there. Perhaps it's a Photobucket fault.
Weird again.
I can see the young lady and the HH in that post too.

TBH PB does seem to have a bit of a hissy fit from time to time, that's why I ditched it in favour of Flickr a few years back.
although I do still have a few images on there.

I quite like Photos now but I'm in no way a serious photographer so it has all i need right now.dint like it straight away but its grown on me but understand no good for someone who is more serious.

Weird again.
I can see the young lady and the HH in that post too.

TBH PB does seem to have a bit of a hissy fit from time to time, that's why I ditched it in favour of Flickr a few years back.
although I do still have a few images on there.

....I use both Photobucket and Flickr but host my favourite/best wildlife images on Flickr and particularly because it shares camera data etc with folks here on TP. Also I like the Flickr Photostream page display which shows images like a portfolio. I just haven't uploaded my falconer friend's pic with Hawk on Flickr yet - She hasn't seen the pics from Friday yet!

I quite like Photos now but I'm in no way a serious photographer so it has all i need right now.dint like it straight away but its grown on me but understand no good for someone who is more serious.

....That's right - It's Horses-for-Courses and Apple, as they usually do, will have nailed it in recognising how Photos will satisfy masses of people who take photos who aren't as anal as some of us! :D

Each to their own and Photos is doubtless a good move but why also dump Aperture!? Still, as I said earlier, they have done me a favour by obliging me to seek a 'better' RAW editor for my needs.

Its still weird though !
Anyway, I've tagged Marcel in the staff room for when he clocks on (y)

Just testing to help solve a posted image display issue with TP but this time hosted via Flickr instead of Photobucket.

However, this image is another from my first go at using Capture One Pro 8....

IMG_2689 by RedRobin_05, on Flickr

No problem posting this image via Flickr so it suggests that Photobucket is the cause of the earlier weirdness.

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
Just downloaded that Photo effects 9 for free to have a play with,whilst i won't be getting into it seriously it seems really fun for messing with my photos

Just downloaded that Photo effects 9 for free to have a play with,whilst i won't be getting into it seriously it seems really fun for messing with my photos

....I started off with Photo Effects 8 for free but then was offered a discount to upgrade to Perfect Photos Suite 8 and subsequently a free upgrade to 9. It is far more user-friendly than Photoshop but I tend to only use the Effects plug-in and occasionally the Enhance but rarely on wildlife images. It's just an extra plug-in toolset but you can use it as stand-alone.

Some photographers might not agree but I see nothing wrong in starting off with your original photograph and developing it as any kind of picture that takes your fancy - Photographs are just graphic images representing what you saw or felt, unless you are a forensic pixel scientist.

@Cobra and Marcel,

Photobucket appears to have now sorted itself out because this thread is now peppered with pics of my falconer friend. Still, she's quite nice to look at :D

I guess it must have been a Sunday log-jam at Photofuket.

....I started off with Photo Effects 8 for free but then was offered a discount to upgrade to Perfect Photos Suite 8 and subsequently a free upgrade to 9. It is far more user-friendly than Photoshop but I tend to only use the Effects plug-in and occasionally the Enhance but rarely on wildlife images. It's just an extra plug-in toolset but you can use it as stand-alone.

Some photographers might not agree but I see nothing wrong in starting off with your original photograph and developing it as any kind of picture that takes your fancy - Photographs are just graphic images representing what you saw or felt, unless you are a forensic pixel scientist.

Robin isn't this what all of Photoshop users do?I mean the ones that don't agree,do that not do anything to their photos?

Last edited:
Robin isn't this what all of Photoshop users do?I mean the ones that don't agree,do that not do anything to their photos?

....I was referring to the difference between relatively minor image enhancement and major image manipulation. The line between them can be blurred but I was meaning the more obvious effects. Sorry I didn't qualify what I meant better but it is a big subject and also sometimes an emotive one among photographers.

Had a go in Capture One 8 at post-processing the challenging task of a major crop of a RAW file shot at long distance. With a Canon 1.4x III on Canon 100-400mm L II on 7D2 at long distance, my shots rarely look good quality when shot at long distance but although this is not an award winner I am quite impressed with how CO8 has helped :

This video illustrates CO8's superiority (in my opinion) to Aperture :

Last edited:
Not much but better than nothing 10% discount for CO AMBMICHAEL

....Is "AMBMICHAEL" a special code for getting 10% discount? I have been using the CO8 Trial software and am about to purchase.

Yes, I tried it before I posted, also works on the subscription I believe. There seem to be a few about but all at 10%

Yes, I tried it before I posted, also works on the subscription I believe. There seem to be a few about but all at 10%

....Cheers :) - I'll have a go with that discount code.

I have been having a nightmare trying to set up an organised folder structure in CO8 after getting used to Aperture's logical and user-friendly simplicity but the editing controls more than make up for the hassle.

An interesting thread as I also have decided to move away from Aperture and had only really considered LR6. Will now have a look at CO8 also.

I struggled to understand why Apple decided to bin Aperture and dumb down Photos to the extent they have. I guess I so believed that another Apple product would replace Aperture and now realise they'd rather flog stuff in App Store than develop useful software. I know Aperture always had its haters, but really?

Reactions: ST4
I think over the years I have tried and used all combinations, PS/LR/CO/NX2/Aperture/DXO/On1 etc. plus the 'free' ones such as The GIMP and RawThereapee too.

Much of it is down to personal preference at the end of the day, and the differences are small. I have however been using Capture One in its various versions since 2006 and not only has it improved, but is also probably my favourite workflow and its results usually require less steps to achieve the same result. :cool:

Last edited:
Oops! I have just bought my Capture One Pro 8 licence today but forgot to use the discount code!!!! Duh!!

Ah well, onwards and upwards.

Back