car shoot with local celebrity

Name
paulb
Edit My Images
Yes
i have asked a local magazine if i can shoot their next car test drive with local celeb nick ferrari. they have agreed, which is great news.

so now all i need is a location (we are based in kent) and some ideas for the shoot! the next car is a maxda, so i am going to assume for now that it'll probably be the cx-7 or the rx-8, both of which are pretty attractive cars.

i've not shot a car before, so i want to get the basics right:

- empty underground car park; cool or cliche?
- urban decay vs country retreat
- shooting the car static vs moving
- night or day shoot​

as it's my first stab at getting into a local mag i want to research as much as i can and look professional.

all help appreciated!
paulb

i have asked a local magazine if i can shoot their next car test drive with local celeb nick ferrari. they have agreed, which is great news.

so now all i need is a location (we are based in kent) and some ideas for the shoot! the next car is a maxda, so i am going to assume for now that it'll probably be the cx-7 or the rx-8, both of which are pretty attractive cars.

i've not shot a car before, so i want to get the basics right:

- empty underground car park; cool or cliche?
- urban decay vs country retreat
- shooting the car static vs moving
- night or day shoot​

as it's my first stab at getting into a local mag i want to research as much as i can and look professional.

all help appreciated!
paulb

i'd definitely say daytime shoot, as a) presumably the idea of the feature in the mag is to promote the car which leads into b) you don't have to faff around with getting the lighting right... if a celeb is involved, then i guess time is going to be of the essence to a certain extent.

i'd maybe go out and pick up a couple of car/bike magazines and look at the pics in there for some inspiration, see what you like. maybe watch a few re-runs of Top Gear on tv too?

i'd try to keep it simple, as you want top be able to focus on taking good shots and getting the composition right, rather than worrying about the location/outside factors when you're on site.

oh and shoot in RAW! that'll help with editing the photos and sorting out any little glitches, alter lighting, exposure, etc.

Sorry, I apologise in advance in that this is not going to help you, but I am intrigied as to why people do this to themselves...........

so let me get this straight..............

you've never done car shoots before (nor have I, but unlike you I don't want to........)

so you have approached a magazine asking if you can do one - they have said yes (I assume they are thinking pics for £0)

to add a bit of pressure there is a "celebrity" (I use that in the loosest sense of the word) present whom I assume will be driving aforementioned car...........

Why?

Why don't people get a bit of practice with their Vauxhall Mondeo 320i (sic) before thinking they can jump in the deep end and come up with magazine worthy pics....... so many things to consider ... ambient light, light, angles, colours, mood,

This is akin to me going to the golf club tomorrow and trying to shoot pics worthy of Today's Golfer, or having a day out with the TA and asking Rob beforehand, "What do soldiers do?", or oh i dunno..........

The only advice I can offer is to practice using your own wheels first and concentrating on getting the lighting / exposure correct............

Sorry, I apologise in advance in that this is not going to help you, but I am intrigied as to why people do this to themselves...........

the experience and opportunity?

just a thought... ;)

the experience and opportunity?

just a thought... ;)
You don't need to jump into the deep end right away to get them though. When I started out in football photography my first game wasn't Manchester United v Chelsea you know...

i'd definitely say daytime shoot, as a) presumably the idea of the feature in the mag is to promote the car which leads into b) you don't have to faff around with getting the lighting right...

(y)

No-one ever uses lights when shooting cars, it's just not done.....

You don't need to jump into the deep end right away to get them though. When I started out in football photography my first game wasn't Manchester United v Chelsea you know...

lol, it's Nick Ferrari roadtesting a Mazda! from that, i'm guessing it's going to be (no disrespect) a little local mag or free paper.

United v Chelsea = Tom Cruise in What Car magazine
Ebbsfleet v Thurrock = Nick Ferrari in a local rag

;)

so let me get this straight..............

you've never done car shoots before (nor have I, but unlike you I don't want to........)

so you have approached a magazine asking if you can do one - they have said yes (I assume they are thinking pics for £0)

to add a bit of pressure there is a "celebrity" (I use that in the loosest sense of the word) present whom I assume will be driving aforementioned car...........

Why?

Why don't people get a bit of practice with their Vauxhall Mondeo 320i (sic) before thinking they can jump in the deep end and come up with magazine worthy pics....... so many things to consider ... ambient light, light, angles, colours, mood,

This is akin to me going to the golf club tomorrow and trying to shoot pics worthy of Today's Golfer, or having a day out with the TA and asking Rob beforehand, "What do soldiers do?", or oh i dunno..........

The only advice I can offer is to practice using your own wheels first and concentrating on getting the lighting / exposure correct............

lynton you have a great sense of humour, your post really made me laugh. but sadly we dont share an outlook on life.

i am (probably) an average photographer, but i know how to have a good time and that often involves putting myself in potentially difficult situations.
it's fun. wanna come along and help me?!

shoot for the stars matey and you might at least hit the top of the trees.

lynton you have a great sense of humour, your post really made me laugh. but sadly we dont share an outlook on life.

i am (probably) an average photographer, but i know how to have a good time and that often involves putting myself in potentially difficult situations.
it's fun. wanna come along and help me?!

shoot for the stars matey and you might at least hit the top of the trees.

I have no problem in shooting for the stars or aiming high, or doing the best i can in any situation i am in .. my glass is either half full or twice the size it needs to be) ............ I just believe in the 7P's (Proper planning & preperation prevents p*** poor performance) therefore if I was to do what you were attempting, I'd go practice a bit first on some dry runs, even if it is with a K reg cavalier or the next door neighbours Mini........ the purpose is to get used to positions / ideas as to what will work / what won't work etc..........

I am guessing as "togger" for this event, you will be expected to give guidance direction etc as to positioning of car etc and capturing a decent pic for the magazine (assume its not the Aylsham & Adisham Church Magazine) and if you are coming on here asking how to do it to get good results, maybe, just maybe suggests you are a tad unsure about your ability / confidence to pull it off (I may be wrong - and please prove me so........) know what to do, and I am sure you will get some sound advice (there's a couple of guys on here who photo cars for a living and use all sorts of clever kit.........) just practice before going in both feet first..........

good luck! (y)

I have no problem in shooting for the stars or aiming high, or doing the best i can in any situation i am in .. my glass is either half full or twice the size it needs to be) ............ I just believe in the 7P's (Proper planning & preperation prevents p*** poor performance) therefore if I was to do what you were attempting, I'd go practice a bit first on some dry runs, even if it is with a K reg cavalier or the next door neighbours Mini........ the purpose is to get used to positions / ideas as to what will work / what won't work etc..........

I am guessing as "togger" for this event, you will be expected to give guidance direction etc as to positioning of car etc and capturing a decent pic for the magazine (assume its not the Aylsham & Adisham Church Magazine) and if you are coming on here asking how to do it to get good results, maybe, just maybe suggests you are a tad unsure about your ability / confidence to pull it off (I may be wrong - and please prove me so........) know what to do, and I am sure you will get some sound advice (there's a couple of guys on here who photo cars for a living and use all sorts of clever kit.........) just practice before going in both feet first..........

good luck! (y)

you are totally right, practice would be great, but sadly i am not going to have the time so i am going to wing it. either way i stand to learn from it all. :bonk:

will keep you posted!

lol, it's Nick Ferrari roadtesting a Mazda! from that, i'm guessing it's going to be (no disrespect) a little local mag or free paper.

United v Chelsea = Tom Cruise in What Car magazine
Ebbsfleet v Thurrock = Nick Ferrari in a local rag

;)
Fair point, my comparison might have been a bit off(!) but my point remains valid. Even Ebbsfleet v Thurrock for a local newspaper would still be a higher level than your average Sunday League game down the park that no-one is interested in (media wise), better? ;)

i think it's very simple, smilezoomclick has been offered a great opportunity to try something new and has come on here for some friendly advice.

with my post i tried to post some constructive thoughts (i've never shot cars before! or Z list celebs!), rather than shoot the guy down for questioning what he's doing :(

if i was in his position i'd have said 'yes yes yes' as well to the opportunity. everyone needs a foot in the door, maybe shooting cars isn't what he wants to do, but if he can make some contacts and make an impression it might help him get where he wants to be.

i'm sure he just wanted a few ideas from some knowledgeable TPers rather than being shot down for daring to try something a bit different :shrug:

nice way of getting your foot in the door there mate (y)
my advice......blag it lol

i think it's very simple, smilezoomclick has been offered a great opportunity to try something new and has come on here for some friendly advice.

with my post i tried to post some constructive thoughts (i've never shot cars before! or Z list celebs!), rather than shoot the guy down for questioning what he's doing :(

if i was in his position i'd have said 'yes yes yes' as well to the opportunity. everyone needs a foot in the door, maybe shooting cars isn't what he wants to do, but if he can make some contacts and make an impression it might help him get where he wants to be.

i'm sure he just wanted a few ideas from some knowledgeable TPers rather than being shot down for daring to try something a bit different :shrug:

ah thanks ben - that's a kind message. :wave: best go, clarkson's on the phone, wants me to shoot the new ferrari or something... :love:

I agree , too many people on here prefer to shoot people down in flames than give them advice

go for it mate , have fun

Nick Ferrari? Oh dear thats one gig I'd not want to do even if they paid me.

I hate that idiot!

The radio version of the Daily "Blackshirt" Mail. Utter shock attention whoring trash.

Anywaaaaaay, photography wise, try to think it through beforehand, take your time and try not to panic. Remember you've got to show the car AND the fool - not one or the other. Take lots of each shot and make sure you've got a good few shots planned - make notes and keep to them.

You are calling the shots, make it look like you are in control and know what you are doing.

Good luck... and spit in his coffee from me if you get a chance. :LOL:

As far as locations go: The clue is in your post.

test drive

You can't test drive a car in a car park (well, you can't really write a feature about a car from driving it around a car park, anyway).

So you'll want to shoot it in action on the road. Use well sighted roads clear from street furniture and other distractions (unless it's a city car, in which case use a city).

Get some pans, a photo of him driving the car from inside and a few exterior statics. Don't forger details like badge, boot space, rear leg room, pano roof, engine etc etc etc etc.

Defo go practice loads beforehand, get all the mistakes and possible issues out of the way so you are well set up when the day comes. See my article 'magazine style shots' for some great info.

I'd suggest scouting the location in advance well and get a pair of those cheap and cheerful PMR walkie-talkies so you can communicate with the car.

ah thanks ben - that's a kind message. :wave: best go, clarkson's on the phone, wants me to shoot the new ferrari or something... :love:

You sure he didnt say he wants you to shoot Nick Ferrari, so Clarkson can have the drive....LOL. Go for it Paul and good luck.

Might be a bit too "Top Gear" but are tinted filters too cheesy?

Don't know, never eaten one.

Nick Ferrari? Oh dear thats one gig I'd not want to do even if they paid me.

I hate that idiot!

The radio version of the Daily "Blackshirt" Mail. Utter shock attention whoring trash.

Anywaaaaaay, photography wise, try to think it through beforehand, take your time and try not to panic. Remember you've got to show the car AND the fool - not one or the other. Take lots of each shot and make sure you've got a good few shots planned - make notes and keep to them.

You are calling the shots, make it look like you are in control and know what you are doing.

Good luck... and spit in his coffee from me if you get a chance. :LOL:

awesome! tried to get a supermodel along but sadly £3.58 was less than they wanted...

As far as locations go: The clue is in your post.

You can't test drive a car in a car park (well, you can't really write a feature about a car from driving it around a car park, anyway).

So you'll want to shoot it in action on the road. Use well sighted roads clear from street furniture and other distractions (unless it's a city car, in which case use a city).

Get some pans, a photo of him driving the car from inside and a few exterior statics. Don't forger details like badge, boot space, rear leg room, pano roof, engine etc etc etc etc.

your website is fantastic. inspiring, thanks! (y)

Knole park is National Trust - good luck. What about Leeds Castle or that hop farm place? All of these places will charge for a commercial shoot, I'm sure. I'd never heard of Nick Ferrari - looking at some of the pics on google, I think a range rover might be more his style. Can he get into a 2-seater?
Have fun, paul. Rather you than me. :)

Paul,

Ssorry if my posts have been less than 100% encouraging... seems many are prepared to jump on the bandwagon for knocking you - which I don't think I have done - maybe brought things back to earth with a realistic perspective........I am just seeing it from a completely neutral point of view ........

however this is what I have read and understood through the posts.

- You are based in Kent but have no idea where to shoot - or what setting /location to go for. (Good advice from people i.e. If its a city car, go for a city location etc etc)

- You have never done this before but want to nail it first time and look professional but don't have / cannot commit the time to having a dry run first using any vehicle / friend etc as a stooge, similar ideas of shots, similar times of day, and are going to "wing it."

It would probably be more helpful with a bit of detail about the magazine etc and from that people would have a better idea of what is expected. I.e. If it's the Dover Gazette, then they may have a 2 page spread each month on motoring of which 70% will be text, and the remainer a few pics of the car - therefore less pressure - however if it is say a motoring publication aimed at car dealers / franchises across Kent then that ups the ante a tad.

That's not to say you won't give it 100% but with no practice / no idea what to expect etc, considerably less pressure in one scenario to deliver the goods than the other.

Given the inability to practice before the shoot, the only thing i can suggest is
politeness, eagerness and take control of things for the shooting bit.

I'll butt out of this thread now before being told I am being too negative on things etc, although another old adage that has stood me well is "Fail to plan, plan to fail."

Give the OP a bit of credit for getting off his ar$e and finding work.... some others on TP might learn from that.

To the OP - shoot in daylight, don't do anything fancy, try to find a nice location (that contrasts nicely with the chosen car) and just shoot, shoot, shoot....

...oh, and enjoy it :)

Just have a rattle, What gear have you got? Maybe try a 50mm lens for external shots as it keeps the proportions of the car right. Also try 60/30 & 50/40 angles from the front, although it depends of what type of car it is. some tips here

http://www.carphototutorials.com/

Just have a rattle, What gear have you got? Maybe try a 50mm lens for external shots as it keeps the proportions of the car right. Also try 60/30 & 50/40 angles from the front, although it depends of what type of car it is. some tips here

http://www.carphototutorials.com/

thanks for that - i found that site too! am using a d300 nikon and 28-75 f2.8tamron, if i can arrange a date!

argh, update soon...

If you're on Blackheath, I imagine there's only limited parking, I don't think you can easily just drive onto the grass. Look for the church and the old 'crescent' of houses for the background. There's also the lovely old white building, the Ranger's House, which if you can get near would be a nice backdrop.
Weather looks likely to be crap. Good luck!

If you're on Blackheath, I imagine there's only limited parking, I don't think you can easily just drive onto the grass. Look for the church and the old 'crescent' of houses for the background. There's also the lovely old white building, the Ranger's House, which if you can get near would be a nice backdrop.
Weather looks likely to be crap. Good luck!

thanks! someone else mentioned the ranger's house. will look it up, cheers...

i've been out to find a location for the shoot tomorrow and i've found two. but which do you prefer? this car is mine, the actual car for tomorrow's shoot is a red mazda estate.

what are your thoughts? (sorry i just cant get the pics to appear here, so please follow the links)...

trees - http://www.flickr.com/photos/smilezoomclick/4969142826/sizes/z/in/photostream/

car park - http://www.flickr.com/photos/smilezoomclick/4968538145/sizes/z/in/photostream/

all help appreciated!
paulb

both seem nice locations, but the second pic looks a bit too yellow in colour so not sure how that would with a red car. only other thing I would try to do is remove the light which is just above the car

Back