Card error

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday for the first to time (been lucky) I had a card error message on my camera said the card could not be used?
I took it out put it back and it was fine for the rest of the day just had 4 min tradable files on it.
Now my question is would you trust this card again? Just give it a go see what happens or bin it?
It's a Sandisk extreme (gold one) about a year old never had a problem before.
I had deleted a few photos individually during the day but that has never been a problem before.
Thankfully the second card had the photos on it [emoji3]
Thanks
Ian

Contact Sandisk, I believe they replace faulty cards
Personally I wouldn't trust it

Thankfully the second card had the photos on it

If so, copy the data to the HD but don't erase the
card yet. Format in the camera the "faulty" card
and, if the formatting succeeds, you good to go.
If it is not, don't use it anymore.

Once the pictures newly on HD are culled and safe,
you can reformat that one too in the same way!

If so, copy the data to the HD but don't erase the
card yet. Format in the camera the "faulty" card
and, if the formatting succeeds, you good to go.
If it is not, don't use it anymore.

Once the pictures newly on HD are culled and safe,
you can reformat that one too in the same way!
I always run my onsite and offsite backups before erasing the memory card by reformatting, otherwise you only have one copy of the data again at that point. What if the hard drive failed before backed up and you had reformatted the card?

What if…

What if…? There is always the risk of the horror scenario.

Knowing that all will not fail at the same time this is MY way to do it…

After a shoot…
  1. turn off the camera and leave untouched the second (BU) card inside
  2. pull out the first card to a case in pocket
  3. once in PP room, transfer data to computer not erasing the card yet
  4. cull, process and file the images (Auto TimeMachine)
  5. delete recent folder on card or reformat in camera
  6. Insert first card in camera, turn it ON and reformat second still having a BU
Now, I'm ready for the next shoot.

What if?

Goodness - I can remember shooting weddings on film and putting the films in the Post for processing! (Used to use two different processing labs though)

What if…? There is always the risk of the horror scenario.

Knowing that all will not fail at the same time this is MY way to do it…

After a shoot…
  1. turn off the camera and leave untouched the second (BU) card inside
  2. pull out the first card to a case in pocket
  3. once in PP room, transfer data to computer not erasing the card yet
  4. cull, process and file the images (Auto TimeMachine)
  5. delete recent folder on card or reformat in camera
  6. Insert first card in camera, turn it ON and reformat second still having a BU
Now, I'm ready for the next shoot.
Sounds like you have already set up an auto backup in time machine and employ the import-backup-delete process I'm talking about. We have to be wary when advising copy to the main hard drive then erase the memory card. There are several beginners on here that could be reading this and don't understand the reason for backups, or don't use iMacs with time machine auto backup. Normally they only find out the need once they lose all of their data. Memory is the cheapest its ever been, why wouldn't you protect yourself against that small chance of that horror scenario. The only thing that can be guaranteed is a hard drive or memory card will fail at some point.

What if?

Goodness - I can remember shooting weddings on film and putting the films in the Post for processing! (Used to use two different processing labs though)
I don't think many wedding photographers wouldn't now keep two/threes sets of data now (even amateurs keep at least one backup of some sort). In the past we may not been able to protect that small risk but technology moves on and its now very easy to protect against that small risk. I think a bride/groom would have a very good case for compensation if you did the same now and lost all of the images (or some of them) because you kept only one copy of the data.

Contact Sandisk, I believe they replace faulty cards
Personally I wouldn't trust it
I had one fail years ago, they replaced it no problem, but they will check the serial number first to make sure its genuine not a copy/ clone.
So yeah get it swapped (y)

Thanks all, I always kee p all photos on a card until I have them on the Mac and a copy on a memory stick
And I always format the cards in the camera.
I took the camera along to a judo comp today with the card that had the error to try it am
Nd there was no problem, I have marked it so if any further problems I will know it's that card, hopefully it was because I deleted lots of individual photos from now on I will just leave them on the card and delete during processing.
Nice to know I can get it replaced if there is a problem, it should be a genuine card as I got it from Tesco when they were on offer [emoji16]

Nice to know I can get it replaced if there is a problem, it should be a genuine card as I got it from Tesco when they were on offer [emoji16]
Mine failed with images on it that were unreadable, they even sent me a (short expiry) link, to the software, that they use to get the images off the card.
Worked like a dream, but it expired in a couple of weeks though ... bugger! :D

Back