Changing from Canon 5DIV to Fuji XT-3 or Sony A7III

Name
Donna
Edit My Images
Yes
I am considering selling all my Canon gear and moving to either a Fuji XT-3 or Sony A7 III. Am I mad??
I love my 5D but it is rather heavy and I do like to travel, ideally I would have both, but don't think the OH would go for that...
I shoot all sorts but mainly end up with landscapes and animals (my trusty dog), and sell on stock photography - feel free to look on my Instagram page for a better idea donna white_photography
Has anyone done similar to this, no regrets?
Any advice appreciated

Almost!! Have my D75o boxed and ready to sell and had XT3 for a week now. Had a play and will be keeping it I believe. It was a tough decision as been with Nikon for 12 years or so and started off with the D40. Use mine for lots including the odd wedding and portrait job but also with kids and general travel. Started using the X100F more and more of late and so it was a bit easier to decide. Yes, battery life is poor, already missing an optical viewfinder but lots more good stuff.

When I first started to look to move from DSLR to mirrorless the reason was for bulk and weight savings and also for less conspicuous kit but I later came to value the other benefits mirrorless can bring such as the EVF, in view histogram, exposure and DoF, consistently accurate focusing, being able to focus accurately anywhere in the frame and face / eye detect and also the magnified view for very accurate manual focusing. So, I suppose it's important to think about what's important to you. If you want compact and lighter kit then that's possible with certain bodies and lenses or if you just want the advantages that mirrorless could bring for you you could reduce the bulk and weight savings by going for different body and lens combinations but still have the benefits of mirrorless. Actually I think face / eye detect alone would swing it for me these days as they give you such compositional freedom and the ability to shoot quickly.

If bulk and weight savings are high priorities maybe you could take a quick look at MFT as the later bodies give good image quality and the system offers real bulk and weight savings over a FF DSLR.

An A7III would be a significant downgrade from a 5DIV? Are you on crack? :D

Not sure the least part was needed :mad:

24MP sensor is a downgrade. It would be like for like with my 5D3 other than slightly better DR. EVF I hear is significantly worse than in A73R.

Have a try with them because I found that mirrorless are awkward controls for manual controls with bad menu systems compared to the better dslr`s

24MP sensor is a downgrade. It would be like for like with my 5D3 other than slightly better DR. EVF I hear is significantly worse than in A73R.

Not quite, better DR and better high ISO performance and AF than your MK3 and MK4.

Sure the A7r3 is better than the A73 if all you are considering is MP count and a better EVF. But then the A7iii has better Hi ISO, better AF, better buffer, and Id rather have fewer MP when it comes to processing a lot of files. Both cameras are excellent.

Last edited:

I do think that "significant downgrade" needs qualifying otherwise it looks as unneeded and unsupported as my crack comment.

You can for sure make a case built on 24 v 30mp or on EVF v OVF or on other aspects of image quality or performance but throwing "significant downgrade" in as an unsupported comment seems a bit throw away and lazy to me and I'm sure that on reflection you'd think you could have done better.

Now that's an understatement
The original A7 has sightly better DR than 5D3. A7III is significantly better than both 5D3 and also 5D4. For DR canon FF is one generation behind or on same level of Sony APS-C.
The EVF on A7III isn't bad it's the same as from previous generation i.e. from A7RII. People considered this to be amazing when it came out.

IMO even a recent Sony APS-C is an upgrade to any canon FF (bar the 1DXii)

Last edited:
I moved from 5Dii to A7iii and haven't regretted it, but mainly because I use it at least half the time for video which the Canon could barely do.
Obviously the autofocus is infinitely better but less of a jump from Mkiv
If you do go for it I wouldn't entertain lens adapters, sell the lot and buy a couple of native FE Sony

I moved from Nikon D610 FF to A7III in March. In practice the thing I've missed most has been not having a display on the top panel to check aperture etc. I bought it for better af, lower weight and improved sensor. It's not flawless, but it is good.

I did not consider Fuji because I don't want crop.

I changed last year from Canon 5div to Fuji XT-3 because of weight issues. I did find the Fuji menus hard to get my head round at first, but overall i have not regretted it for a moment. I would have preferred to go down the Sony route but the cost for what i wanted was way out of my pocket. However I can't fault the Fuji lenses in any way. The camera is not so bad either.

I changed last year from Canon 5div to Fuji XT-3 because of weight issues. I did find the Fuji menus hard to get my head round at first, but overall i have not regretted it for a moment. I would have preferred to go down the Sony route but the cost for what i wanted was way out of my pocket. However I can't fault the Fuji lenses in any way. The camera is not so bad either.

I felt fujis were some of the easier bodies to use/understand thanks its retro style. :)

I do think that "significant downgrade" needs qualifying otherwise it looks as unneeded and unsupported as my crack comment.

You can for sure make a case built on 24 v 30mp or on EVF v OVF or on other aspects of image quality or performance but throwing "significant downgrade" in as an unsupported comment seems a bit throw away and lazy to me and I'm sure that on reflection you'd think you could have done better.

Losing resolution absolutely makes no sense to me when you could get a big boost instead... I like to print A1 and thats where you really really need it.

I felt fujis were some of the easier bodies to use/understand thanks its retro style. :)

Unless you are really familiar with it I find that to be a hindrance at best

The menu system alone is about as easy to navigate as you can get too. Maybe Canon's menu system is more simplistic, but I would say Fuji's are no more complex than say, Nikon's

Losing resolution absolutely makes no sense to me when you could get a big boost instead... I like to print A1 and thats where you really really need it.

Unless you are really familiar with it I find that to be a hindrance at best

Printing A1 is somewhat vague because without knowing the viewing distance and/or DPI you'd like to achieve its hard to say what resolution would work.
For 300dpi (probably overkill for A1) you'd need like 70mp if my mental math is correct. Currently no FF sensor provides this much Res.
I have printed that large with such high DPI before but they were all panos.

The menu system alone is about as easy to navigate as you can get too. Maybe Canon's menu system is more simplistic, but I would say Fuji's are no more complex than say, Nikon's
The canons I have used are mainly the EOS M ones. They were fairly easy to use.
To be honest menus are only a hindrance for a few hours till you customise your camera, regardless of the brand these days

Don't rule out the Canon M series of mirrorless cameras or even the Canon RP.
BONUS :)you can use your existing lenses with the appropriate adapter.
Other systems worth looking into Olympus/ Panasonic 4/3 for a truly lightweight system Like the Canon M series.
For my mirrorless venture I went Fuji X route after my initial Canon M purchase but I also have a nice little Olympus system with prime lenses.
Go and handle as many as you can and think carefully before jumping systems.

Last edited:
Still shooting on a 1DX MKII but have had both Fuji X-T2 and Sony A7III with the Sony being used on adapted glass mainly other than a couple of weekends hire of a 70-200.

Hard to pick between the Fuji and Sony in all honesty although the biggest bit i would say is cost of Sony glass and size compared to the Fuji.

Sony wins hands down still on eye A/F and video.

Fuji wins on just ease of use along with glass and the excellent Fuji colour profiles.

Only still sticking with DSLR for motorsport at the moment but really miss the EVF of mirrorless.

Will definitely be returning back to Fuji in the future as just found it inspired me to get out and shoot more but dont think you can go wrong with either system.

Looking at Canon's offerings i just see pound signs flashing before my eyes because as much as i love the brand the new dedicated glass is just new mortgage territory at the moment.

Thanks for all your replies. I have some serious considerations and still not sure which way I am going to sway. I like the sound of the A7 III but if weight was the issue, I don't think this is much smaller or lighter as well as the lenses are quite heavy? The Fuji sounds fun and maybe a camera I will be carrying with me much more, but I am really worried about image quality as this is not something I want to lose - but saying that, on comparisons on YouTube etc, the pictures from this camera still look pretty awesome.
Next consideration is lenses - the Fuji doesn't seem to have the variety, and although I love my landscape lenses, I also love my Tamron 100-400 and would need to look for something like this.

Printing A1 is somewhat vague because without knowing the viewing distance and/or DPI you'd like to achieve its hard to say what resolution would work.
For 300dpi (probably overkill for A1) you'd need like 70mp if my mental math is correct. Currently no FF sensor provides this much Res.
I have printed that large with such high DPI before but they were all panos.

That's pretty much why you need as many super-sharp MP as you can get. In real life you get away with 240dpi and even 200 could be OK particularly if you take an extra step back, and going for canvas requires even less. A7RIII gets you pretty close to perfection.

e Fuji sounds fun and maybe a camera I will be carrying with me much more, but I am really worried about image quality as this is not something I want to lose - but saying that, on comparisons on YouTube etc, the pictures from this camera still look pretty awesome.
Next consideration is lenses - the Fuji doesn't seem to have the variety, and although I love my landscape lenses, I also love my Tamron 100-400 and would need to look for something like this.

I had a very good look at Fuji own prints in the photography show and they manage pull out less detail than my 5DIII. I believe they still don't talk with Lightroom too well so best to stick with more conventional design sensors.
The one Fuji I would absolutely love is the "medium" format one if you can afford it.

So you have to leave your tripod and lights at home, take only one small prime, no extra batteries, and maybe leave watch and phone at home. Certainly no handbag, no shopping, nothing. That will do the trick.

Thanks for all your replies. I have some serious considerations and still not sure which way I am going to sway. I like the sound of the A7 III but if weight was the issue, I don't think this is much smaller or lighter as well as the lenses are quite heavy? The Fuji sounds fun and maybe a camera I will be carrying with me much more, but I am really worried about image quality as this is not something I want to lose - but saying that, on comparisons on YouTube etc, the pictures from this camera still look pretty awesome.

If weight is a concern use small primes?

Both Sony and Fuji have 100-400mm options. Sony costs more.
If you don't care for AF tracking much then you can adapt the tamron or equivalent sigma on both.

So you need to consider Sony has about 1 1/2 stops of better high iso, also consider equivalence. All of a sudden the Fuji needs faster (bigger) lenses to achieve the same exposure. Don’t look at the same aperture lenses when you consider size.

Last edited:
Does this mean the third party lens will not auto focus with an adapter?

They will and do well in some cases, but it depends on how you shoot. Landscapes no problem depending on lens, dogs not so well IF you use afc.

Last edited:
Does this mean the third party lens will not auto focus with an adapter?

They will, and pretty well with the right adapter. I hear the Sigma MC-11 is very good, maybe someone who has one can verify, but akaik it's decent with the right lenses [Sigma, Canon in particular] - I'm using an AF adapter on Fuji and it's excellent, the fringer pro FX - not sure if the one for Sony is as good? But I was able to track horses at the races with C-AF using it on Saturday with a cheap as chips EF-S lens. I believe the MC-11 for Sony will only take EF Canon lenses but it's for FF so you wouldn't really want to use APSC lenses anyhow.

Last edited:
They will, and pretty well with the right adapter. I hear the Sigma MC-11 is very good, maybe someone who has one can verify, but akaik it's decent with the right lenses [Sigma, Canon in particular] - I'm using an AF adapter on Fuji and it's excellent, the fringer pro FX - not sure if the one for Sony is as good? But I was able to track horses at the races using it on Saturday with a cheap as chips EF-S lens. I believe the MC-11 for Sony will only take EF Canon lenses but it's for FF so you wouldn't really want to use APSC lenses anyhow.

The mc11 or metabones work well with EF lenses. It’s quite surprising how well, but adapted isn’t native and there’s not much point in keeping canon lenses and an adapter when there’s a solid choice of pretty well priced native options from Sony and 3P.

The mc11 or metabones work well with EF lenses. It’s quite surprising how well, but adapted isn’t native and there’s not much point in keeping canon lenses and an adapter when there’s a solid choice of pretty well priced native options from Sony and 3P.

There is - it saves a lot of money and Canon lenses are decent enough. Take the cheap Canon lens I'm using, combined with what I paid for the adapter it worked out cheaper than the Fuji 55-200, the lens is just as good IMO and it opens up other options. You can get some nice Canon glass much cheaper than native Fuji or Sony

Last edited:
If you are comparing like for like quality you are not saving... and you are not getting native performance.

See edit above, I am saving - also had a 50mm 1.8 that worked as well for me as the 3x more expensive Fuji 50mm and had the 85 1.8 that was peanuts towards Fuji's 90mm. They may not be the same quality, but close enough and less than 1/3rd the money. Nowt wrong with adapting lenses whatsoever.

See edit above, I am saving - also had a 50mm 1.8 that worked as well for me as the 3x more expensive Fuji 50mm and had the 85 1.8 that was peanuts towards Fuji's 90mm. They may not be the same quality, but close enough and less than 1/3rd the money. Nowt wrong with adapting lenses whatsoever.

Worked as well for you, if you don’t notice the difference that’s great, but there is definitely a difference.

3x more expensive but it’s waterproof, much smaller, much quieter, has better AF, is built much better and is better optically.

Again, the same quality Canikon lenses are pretty much equivalent to Sony’s native stuff, then there’s 3P native.

Last edited:
Worked as well for you, if you don’t notice the difference that’s great, but there is definitely a difference.

3x more expensive but it’s waterproof, much smaller, much quieter, has better AF, is built much better and is better optically.

Which lens? I presume you mean the 50mm as the 90 is huge in comparison to the Canon 85. The Canon 50mm STM is actually a little cracker when stopped down to F2, which is where the Fuji starts. It also focused a lot nippier than I expected, that was my initial experiment lens and I got some good shots using it. I know the difference between lenses btw - I also know how to judge similarities and not always consider more expensive, or native better just because. There's not much between the 50 1.8 and the Fuji 35 F2 bar the 35 has better contrast for example, and the Fuji 50 F2 is much the same as the 35. After a quick workout in LR you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.

I've looked at Donna's IG and it doesn't seem like she shoots BIF or sports, I do think a decent adapter would work for her. A decent adapter will allow tracking a dog, as they usually have a predictable enough pattern. It's an option that shouldn't be over-looked, especially if OP is interested in this option

Last edited:
MC-11 works surprisingly well with my lenses and, lenses I've tested from 16-35mm F4, 16-35mm F2.8 III, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 100-400mm II, 400mm f/2.8L IS III, 500mm F/4L IS II, 600mm F4L IS III.

However, bear in mind, for an erratic and fast movement please don't expect this will work as well as the native. I also note that the AF won't work well for the telephoto lens from near to infinity. You'll want to manual focus on the area you want to focus and try from there.

Other than that I don't have major issues with adapting my current lenses.

All the above were tested with Sony A9 and perhaps the Sony A7III and A7RIII won't be as good.

Also Sony colour is uhm... FUNNY :D :shifty:

MC-11 works surprisingly well with my lenses and, lenses I've tested from 16-35mm F4, 16-35mm F2.8 III, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 100-400mm II, 400mm f/2.8L IS III, 500mm F/4L IS II, 600mm F4L IS III.

However, bear in mind, for an erratic and fast movement please don't expect this will work as well as the native. I also note that the AF won't work well for the telephoto lens from near to infinity. You'll want to manual focus on the area you want to focus and try from there.

Other than that I don't have major issues with adapting my current lenses.

All the above were tested with Sony A9 and perhaps the Sony A7III and A7RIII won't be as good.

Also Sony colour is uhm... FUNNY :D :shifty:

The fringer pro for Fuji must be a bit better in that case [probably ought to be as it's more expensive] as I know people are adapting similar lenses without any such tele-issues. Is the MC-11 the best available for Sony?

The fringer pro for Fuji must be a bit better in that case [probably ought to be as it's more expensive] as I know people are adapting similar lenses without any such tele-issues. Is the MC-11 the best available for Sony?

Before you can make that judgement you should try it, Sony has been the leader in af performance with adapted lenses for a long time.

Which lens? I presume you mean the 50mm as the 90 is huge in comparison to the Canon 85. The Canon 50mm STM is actually a little cracker when stopped down to F2, which is where the Fuji starts. It also focused a lot nippier than I expected, that was my initial experiment lens and I got some good shots using it. I know the difference between lenses btw - I also know how to judge similarities and not always consider more expensive, or native better just because. There's not much between the 50 1.8 and the Fuji 35 F2 bar the 35 has better contrast for example, and the Fuji 50 F2 is much the same as the 35. After a quick workout in LR you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.

I've looked at Donna's IG and it doesn't seem like she shoots BIF or sports, I do think a decent adapter would work for her. A decent adapter will allow tracking a dog, as they usually have a predictable enough pattern. It's an option that shouldn't be over-looked, especially if OP is interested in this option

I’m not saying adapted is crap, I’m saying native offers better performance and you need to look at the whole package on offer and why it costs more in some cases. The 85 EF is definitely not as good optically, build, af etc etc as the Fuji 90. It costs more because it’s more expensive to produce and is a better lens.

Last edited:
Before you can make that judgement you should try it, Sony has been the leader in af performance with adapted lenses for a long time.

It's not my judgement, I'm going on reports from Fuji users adapting similar lenses to what robin posted. Also, says who? first I've heard of this, Fuji cameras have been excellent for adapting for years. Also, maybe look up the fringer pro yourself, seems to me like you've never heard of it

I posted about adapters for the OP as they asked about them, hadn't even read the rest of the thread just glanced. No point trying to convince me ;)

Last edited:
Back