Changing gear - did it REALLY make any difference?

Why full manual? I shoot aperture priority a lot and get just as good images as full manual without the faff of constantly manually changing settings (y)

Yes I see your point. Just generally changing settings and exposure often and quickly yourself on the fly type of thing.
Having dedicated or programmable buttons.
With budget cameras they compromise the design due to costs etc, and it has an effect

When I first bought into the digital DSLR world I couldn't afford the best, so I bought a camera body and kit lens as a starter, knowing that I'd upgrade both as soon as I could afford it, and as soon as I'd had enough experience to understood properly what kind of upgrading I wanted most. So for years all my photography purchases were upgrades, in the sense that they improved the image quality of a certain kind of photography that I was into.

I couldn't possibly carry all my gear around with me, even on a dedicated photographic outing, so of course sometimes I found myself photographing things with the best lens I happened to have with me, even though annoyingly I had a much better lens for that photograph on the shelf back home. I also often carry a camera with me when going out shopping, just in case I come across something interesting. Which I usually don't, and the camera stays in its case, but it's just so annoying when I come across a really good photo opportunity with no camera to hand.

So my latest lens purchase was a 16-300mm zoom. It can't be described as an upgrade, because I already have better lenses at the focal lengths and apertures of which it is capable. But when I want to carry a camera with only one lens around just on the off-chance of stumbling across an interesting photo opportunity it has more chance of being able to take a fair shot at anything which turns up than any other single lens I've got. Of course as "everyone knows" these hugely wide range general purpose zooms have severely compromised image quality and everything else in the interest of squeezing out the maximum possible ignorant crowd pleasing zoom range. Well, you won't get the popular nice bokeh blurred backgrounds that are the hallmark of expensive primes from it, but at in good light at f8 or sometimes f11 with careful sharpening it can produce good sharp detailed A3 prints which only a knowledgeable photographer with a magnifying glass would be able to tell weren't produced by a much better lens.

In other words it's a definite upgrade in portable convenience and versatility over the large bagful of lens I'd have to lug around to improve on any photograph it might take. Upgrading doesn't always have to be in terms of image quality.

My first digital era lens was a Sigma 28-300mm and I took some of my favorite pictures with that lens. If you can resist pixel peeping and don't insist on an absolute absence of even minor distortion straight out of the camera this sort of lens can make a very nice day out or holiday lens.

Last edited:
Has anyone changed cameras and been totally amazed at the improvement in their shots?

Not changed so much as added. I've changed cameras a few times (usually because the camera I was using was no longer made and needed to be replaced) but the only time I genuinely got a major improvement was when I went from medium format to a 5x4 large format camera. Yes, technically the results were better (if I went beyond 12x16"/A3 prints) but the real improvements were down not to the camera per se but to the way the camera forced me to be more considered and careful. It was a change of approach that made the difference.

Point missed I feel ;) :p
Actually the most telling thing about that article was the Author said “Sony, Nikon and Canon”.

A few years ago Sony wouldn’t have even been mentioned yet alone coming first in the sentence!!!

For all those still under the belief that gear improves things (bar choosing the right tool for the right job)

https://petapixel.com/2018/04/23/your-camera-is-better-than-what-legendary-photographers-used/

Dunno why we're even talking about this... the gear has improved vastly and made it much easier for more people to get better results in more scenarios. Waxing lyrical and applying inverse snobbery about the greats achieving fantastic results with wooden boxes they whittled from driftwood doesn't change that.

Dunno why we're even talking about this... the gear has improved vastly and made it much easier for more people to get better results in more scenarios. Waxing lyrical and applying inverse snobbery about the greats achieving fantastic results with wooden boxes they whittled from driftwood doesn't change that.
But thats exactly the point. We have far better cameras and lenses today and the point Ted Forbes make is there are no excuses to not get out and do some amazing Work. Its an if HCB, Winogrand, Adam et all could do it with potatoes then sure we can even without topofthelinegear. The I cant because my camera doesnt have..... is not valid anymore. Not having the latest and greatest just means you have to do more yourself, think out of the box, prefocus, stack for panoramas come up with new ideas/concepts/ways etc. There Will be failures, missed moments and unsharp photos but

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image og a blurry concept" Ansel Adams

The ones really amazed by the results of new cameras are the bookkeepers at the camera factories

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the Ted Forbes vlog before the link was posted. After buying a few lenses that I thought I needed but didn't, then selling them, I can't think of any gear that I need to change. It's inspiration that's needed and the skills to capture the image that is in my head.

But thats exactly the point. We have far better cameras and lenses today and the point Ted Forbes make is there are no excuses to not get out and do some amazing Work. Its an if HCB, Winogrand, Adam et all could do it with potatoes then sure we can even without topofthelinegear. The I cant because my camera doesnt have..... is not valid anymore. Not having the latest and greatest just means you have to do more yourself, think out of the box, prefocus, stack for panoramas come up with new ideas/concepts/ways etc. There Will be failures, missed moments and unsharp photos but

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image og a blurry concept" Ansel Adams

The ones really amazed by the results of new cameras are the bookkeepers at the camera factories

Well, yes, that's all well and good but you're simply wrong.

The next thing will move the game on, maybe not for you but certainly for others and of course the "I can't because of the gear" argument is still true for people pushing the kit beyond what it can do. If the gear isn't capable you simply can't always do it for yourself.

Way back when we used potatoes and driftwood what we could do with it was very limited. Try doing any number of things we take for granted today with kit from x years ago and you'll see the problem. Thankfully people have the vision and imagination to push things forward and thankfully with each new advance although there are those who insist it's not needed or leading to deskilling or to a loss of art others see the benefits, learn new skills and do stuff that was impossible with the old stuff and continue to push the whole thing on.

You may think that we're at the pinnacle and technology is flat lining and that no one needs that new thing but I'm sure that isn't the case and that newer tech will continue to mean more is possible. Look at the Sony A9, that enables you to do things that were impossible not so long ago and if one fell through a time warp to a Canon lab just 5 yeas ago they'd need new underwear PDQ. The A10 or something from Nikon or someone else will undoubtedly move things on from the A9 too.

New kit and new features need vison and imagination and vision and imagination leads to new tech and new kit and to different skills to both see the possibilities and take advantage of them. For those who can't see the possibilities or don't want to use them and just want to use their A9 as a box brownie, don't worry, there'll probably always be the ability to turn it all off and just use green square, aperture, shutter or manual mode and shoot with one focus point smack in the middle, one exposure at a time. Just like the oldies did.

I can only speak for myself, I would say in general yes.

I started off with a film DSLR and to be honest, due to cost I never really got into it in a big way. It was a Canon Powershot S60 that I really took a lot of photographs and learn.

The next camera was a Canon 30D and if you ask me did my photography improve? Hell yes. No more shutter lag, shooting through an optical viewfinder with much faster controls. It was like someone had taken the chains off my feet and wrists. I was able to for the first time really do what I want to do.

The next camera was a 5D2, this I guess was more an evolution, I am now able to get photos looking the way I wanted. The 30D lacks that depth of colour, I wasn’t able to push the files the way I could with the 5D2, this was immediately evident in my first wedding I shot with the 5D2. I still look back at those photos now and kind of secretly impressed with myself how good that looked.

After that I would say, still yes, my 5D3 had even better feel to the photos but these things are really something I’d notice. This was most evident when I had to shoot 1 wedding with 5D2/5D3 side by side. I remember at the time during the wedding I was much more impressed how the 5D3 was looking, I literally got home and ordered a 5D2 the next day.

5D4’s improvement felt less dramatic, sharper images with higher resolution, better DR and better focusing but I don’t shoot particularly different. I have bought other things that improved my work more such as lenses for the look that I want, flashes and even doing some work at a lower rate than I ought to have but I wanted the experience in order to expand and improve my portfolio.

These days it’s all much of muchness, I think I know much more now I would be able to compensate for most shortcomings of the camera. The hardest thing one need to learn is the limits of the camera you are holding. If you know it’s limits then you know what works and what doesn’t. This will then allow you to get the best out of it. If you don’t know it’s limits and never push it to its limits then upgrading the camera would not yield improvements.

Think of it as like a numerical ladder. If the camera can shoot in a range of 1-5 difficulty and you ever only push it to a 4, it doesn’t matter if you get a better camera with a 1-10 rating, you won’t ever use that extra steps of improvement and latitude that it affords you and your photography won’t benefit from it. i.e. if you are ever going to use the camera to shoot stock photos for Argos, ISO100, F/11, off camera flash, small websize JPEGs. It won’t matter if it’s a Canon 30D or the 1Dx2. The difference in quality between the 2 would be impossible to tell by anyone.

Side note – I think wedding photography really does push the gear to its limits in every way. In a single day you are required to shoot in every possible lighting conditions, bright midday sun, indoor dark with variable lighting, indoor with low light and no flash allowed, fast action shots, food photography, stills flowers photography, some product photography of gifts, portraits, candids, documentary, architectural shots of buildings, interior architectural shots, some landscapes, long exposures, there are even macro stuff sometimes of the rings. You will be pushing yourself and your gear at the extreme due to the nature of the work. You have to know the camera and its limits inside out, you need to know at what point that just won’t work at all so you need a workaround due to the limitations. It is in situations like these when you can objectively say “this camera is better” in this respect because the previous camera would not be able to get the same photograph you wanted. It could be anything from AF tracking, to being in a church and not allowed to use flash and tripod and it’s dark so IBIS can help.

For me, software has made a bigger difference than the kit. I am not a demanding photographer in many ways - landscapes and architecture mostly - but HDR software means that I am able to shoot the interiors of small, old churches in a meaningful way. Before HDR - that is with film - it was necessary to choose angles that did not include too many corners or windows. I no longer avoid any shot, I just use an appropriate technique.

Today, I have started experimenting with focus stacking and already, after just an hour, I am able to produce photos that would be impossible without the stacking software.

Biggest difference I found when changing kit was when I went from a Nikon 3100 to a 70. Probably because the 3100 was a Coolpix 3100 and the 70 was a D70 - compact to DSLR and 3.1MP to 6MP.

:p

For me, software has made a bigger difference than the kit. I am not a demanding photographer in many ways - landscapes and architecture mostly - but HDR software means that I am able to shoot the interiors of small, old churches in a meaningful way. Before HDR - that is with film - it was necessary to choose angles that did not include too many corners or windows. I no longer avoid any shot, I just use an appropriate technique.

Today, I have started experimenting with focus stacking and already, after just an hour, I am able to produce photos that would be impossible without the stacking software.

The kit will also evolve to do this, in camera HDR and focus stacking/bracketing are becoming features that cameras have. Couple that with decent in camera processing to jpeg and it brings these methods to the masses.

I've noticed differences with upgrades. But it does depend on what you're changing from and to.
Changing from my bridge camera to a Sony a100 DSLR was a massive step up in function and quality. Next I went up to a Sony a350 DSLR which gave me Live View and more megapixels.
Then a change to a Canon 60D gave me more MP again, the chance to borrow lenses from friends and better image quality but the Live View AF wasn't as good at the Sony a350.
Next I went up to a Canon 6D (my main camera now) and I noticed the increase in image quality, the depth of field is nicer, colours better, low light capability is much much better (one big reason I wanted to upgrade).

As for lenses, I've had many but buying more expensive lenses is definitely noticable in the image quality and build quality. While I still had the Canon 60D (a consumer DSLR) I bought the Canon 50mm f1.4 and loved it for the build quality even though the image quality wasn't that much better than the old 50mm f1.8 Mk2. I also upgraded from a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 to the Canon 24-105L and that gave me an incredible jump in image quality. So much sharper, more contrast, better colours, better build, And now using this lens on my full frame 6D, it is even better. (I did actually buy the 24-105L with the plan of upgrading to full frame later that year).

The quality of my images has improved during the whole period of 10 years, more so due to practicing and learning than due to better kit. Sure, better kit helps get better images, but it doesn't guarantee it.
Last summer my main Canon 6D was out of action for repair when I was due to go to Norway, so I had to take my small Canon EOS M10. But because I knew better how to use the camera and compose the images, I still came home with some good images.

I upgraded from a Lumix G3 to a D7100 and initially loved it, thinking everything was about better image quality. I then ended up downgrading to a smaller kit again. I realized I wasn't using it as much or getting it out of the bag as much when I took it out and about, and that the camera and two lenses I mainly use weighed a ton and were huge.

Nearly every image I have framed at home is taken with cameras far inferior to the D7100 (mainly Lumix Bridge cameras), but also smaller and more convenient. The old adage that the best camera is the one you have with you took a while to dawn on me. Upgrading made photography less fun.

It's still all a learning curve, but that was a good lesson learned. I have chronic 'GAS' though so I'm always looking for something else :)

I think I'll keep my gx7 until I can get a full frame digital that's the size and build of my om2n with a viewfinder to match!

Last edited:
Or shoot film, Jim... ;) :p

Or shoot film, Jim... ;) :p

I have done a few rolls recently. It's a costly business though and I prefer to mess around and edit my own pics. I haven't been blown away by the lab's processing either. I'd have to learn to develop etc and that's not a thread I wish to pull! :)

It has slowed me down and made me think about which pictures I really need or want though, instead of gunning off loads I don't need, which has transferred to digital pretty well and eased my workflow/storage issues. That side of things was becoming a bit of a drag. I much prefer chucking a camera in my bag and going out somewhere than be sat at the PC.

Last edited:
I fell into the GAS trap some years ago. Started with a Nikon D80. 'Upgraded' to a D7000,. Bought a D3100 as a second 'lighter body'. Grew tired of the weight. Bought a Lumix GF1 .'Upgraded' to a GX1, Jumped ship to Olympus and bought a EP-5. Bought an E-PM2 as a second 'lighter' body. Decided to revisit 35mm film. Bought a Voigtlander Bessa R3M. Bought a Ricoh GR as a 'digital' second camera. Bought a Holga. Fell in love with Instax. Bought an Instax Mini 90. And then a Wide 300. Bought a Noon 6x12 pinhole. Bought an Au Premier Plan RealitySoSubtle 6x6F to make bonkers long exposures. Felt the need to experience full-frame. Bought a Nikon D810. Shortly followed by a D3300 as a 'second' lighter body. Realised the Nikon F6 was still being made. Bought one.

It's absolute madness.

There's a part of me that wishes I'd just stuck with the D80. And the EP-5. And the... oh, never mind.

Seriously, stick with what you have. Save the money. Print your favourite photos (preferably large). Mount them. Hang them on your wall. Enjoy what you've seen rather than what you've used to capture the image.

Last edited:
In what way. Why was it not possible with the Nikon?
did I say it wasn't possible with Nikon?

it's just a more natural part of working with mirrorless, exposure and wb chimping becomes 'live'.

Seriously, stick with what you have. Save the money. Print your favourite photos (preferably large). Mount them. Hang them on your wall. Enjoy what you've seen rather than what you've used to capture the image.
Hi Adrian you wrote some good advice there.
I feel exhausted reading your camera list past and present. Put's me to shame having only owned a Canon 450d and the the 6d.

Gaz

Does a new car make you a better driver? Nope. It may make you feel safer and for a short period you may drive it more;)

Does a new tv make you a better critic? No but for a short while you may watch it more;)

Does a new coffee machine make you a star barista? Nope but for a short while you may drink more coffee!

See a pattern? ;)

Ahhh, I wondered why I had put on so much weight lately .... bloody ice cream machine. :rolleyes:

Love these replies and advice. I'd still love a go with a D500 for my sports work, but it won't make the composition any better. @adrianday Love your words of wisdom. Magic.

I fell into the GAS trap some years ago. Started with a Nikon D80. 'Upgraded' to a D7000,. Bought a D3100 as a second 'lighter body'. Grew tired of the weight. Bought a Lumix GF1 .'Upgraded' to a GX1, Jumped ship to Olympus and bought a EP-5. Bought an E-PM2 as a second 'lighter' body. Decided to revisit 35mm film. Bought a Voigtlander Bessa R3M. Bought a Ricoh GR as a 'digital' second camera. Bought a Holga. Fell in love with Instax. Bought an Instax Mini 90. And then a Wide 300. Bought a Noon 6x12 pinhole. Bought an Au Premier Plan RealitySoSubtle 6x6F to make bonkers long exposures. Felt the need to experience full-frame. Bought a Nikon D810. Shortly followed by a D3300 as a 'second' lighter body. Realised the Nikon F6 was still being made. Bought one.

It's absolute madness.

There's a part of me that wishes I'd just stuck with the D80. And the EP-5. And the... oh, never mind.

If you don't enjoy using the tool you have to capture the image, the chances are you won't be capturing anything to hang on the wall :D

There’s too much purchase justification in this thread. People. Buy what you want. That’s it, simples. Don’t feel you have to come onto the internet explaining why you think you should have bought it.

You don’t need to. You don’t have to ;).

No it doesn’t improve any aspect of your photography where it matters. It may make some technical aspects easier if your upgrading from really old kit.

Does a new car make you a better driver? Nope. It may make you feel safer and for a short period you may drive it more;)

Does a new tv make you a better critic? No but for a short while you may watch it more;)

Does a new coffee machine make you a star barista? Nope but for a short while you may drink more coffee!

See a pattern? ;)

New cars have much improved safety features, greatly improving the driving experience.

Will a new TV make you a better critic, probably not but again the whole experience will be greatly improved.

Bean to cup machines have improved massively (costly though!) greatly improving the whole experience.

See the pattern here? :D

Previously would of said no, and for my uses I don't really see a change in IQ between something from 10 years ago and something more recent.

However stuff like in body image stabilisation is a revelation that allows me to hand hold shots that I would of needed a tripod for previously.
EVFs are pretty great too making it easier to get it right in camera.

I'd still love a go with a D500 for my sports work, but it won't make the composition any better.

Cheat! Shoot with a high MP count FF body which will give you a wider FoV then crop in PP to nail the composition.

IIRC, it was Ralph Nader who suggested a sharp spike in the middle of the steering wheel as a safety device - it would make people extremely careful drivers! Seatbelts, crumple zones, airbags etc. don't make driving safer, they just improve survival rates in the (increased number of) accidents involving vehicles so equipped.

Lovely article here
https://photographylife.com/the-practicalities-of-not-becoming-a-pro-photographer

“Photography is a unique marriage of art and technology. Ideally there should be a healthy balance between these two ingredients. And in an ideal world a beginner should find balanced resources on both aspects. The catch is that there is no step-by-step guide to becoming an artist. On the other had, there is a plethora of information about the technology, it can be learned and getting the best out there only depends on how deep your pocket is.”

I don't think you can get away from the fact that modern cameras have:

1) Made a lot of shots that have been considered "technically difficult" easier, and
2) Made it easier to get more "keepers" regularly

However, what I must agree with is that any camera will not make the composition better, and at the end of the day, it's the person behind the camera that makes the real difference. But, as I said earlier, if your new toy gets you out taking photos, because you enjoy using it, then that's a good thing!

I don't think you can get away from the fact that modern cameras have:

1) Made a lot of shots that have been considered "technically difficult" easier, and
2) Made it easier to get more "keepers" regularly
I'd be grateful if you could elucidate. I'm seriously at a loss as to understand how or why.

I'd be grateful if you could elucidate. I'm seriously at a loss as to understand how or why.

I would suggest capturing a photo of my dog running around like a loon is technically difficult.

I want to use wide apertures to minimise ISO, and high shutter speeds to freeze the action.

If you prefocus

- She's not necessarily going to run into your frame, unless you're using a bridge or narrow trail to funnel her
- If she does run into your frame you only have a small window to capture her
- If you do manage a capture before she's tired out (or the snow has melted), then you can't expect you have the best expressions/leg positions

With a technically advance camera, I can track her all the time, take photos at 20fps - I can have a thousand in focus images (from a single session) and choose the most (to me) delightful shots.

These are not art, but it's still photography.

Free Cocaine by dancook1982, on Flickr

Incredible Flying Dog by dancook1982, on Flickr

Last edited:
I would suggest capturing a photo of my dog running around like a loon is technically difficult.

I concede in this particular instance. Your dog's zoomers are clearly capable of generating and sustaining an anti-gravimetric field. This is why modern digital cameras were designed. Beautiful photos indeed.

My dog is more inclined to participate in long exposure photography that will, taking into account reciprocity correction, demonstrate he has not moved, asides from taking the opportunity to partake of any available snacks, during the exposure.

For me modern cameras have made a huge difference, I can now shoot high ISO shots that were impossible a few years ago.Files from modern cameras also stand up to much more manipulation, though my old Pentax K5 was as good as the Sony cameras in this regard. Saying that, modern lenses don't make any difference to me, I am mainly using legacy lenses on my A7s and A7rii, which is a huge advantage not available before mirrorless cameras came along. I am finding that shooting with manual lenses makes me think about what I am doing more, and consequently I often get better images than I would have done with an AF lens. I also tend to shoot in Manual much more often, so a bit paradoxically modern cameras have enabled me to get back to the basics of photography.

Quicker Autofocus, and more accurate tracking.
Higher burst rates / pulling stills from 4K video
In body stabilisation allowing you to hand hold shots you would previously need a tripod for
Live view helping you to get it right in camera more often.
Improved IQ at high ISOs

As Dan eluded, modern focusing systems that track subjects at high speed and changes of direction, just weren't around 15 years ago. The ability of modern digital sensors to deal with a wider dynamic range have certainly made shooting the classic "white dress, dark suit in bright sunlight" easier. Likewise the ability to work in low light with little noise.

It's not hard to think of areas where todays cameras are out performing those of 10 years ago, and making some of the harder shots easier to get on a regular basis. Shooting still life in a studio doesn't push the equipment as hard as using it it harsh or more difficult environments.

Love your dog, @dancook !!

Back