Cheap AA batteries

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Well if Duracell are the best??? they are too expensive for me...anyway come across this site which is interesting http://www.batteryshowdown.com/results-hi.html and batteries like Ikea and Kodak extralife (poundland) are much better value for your money.
H'mm Ikea, home bargains and 99p store are nowhere near me, but might try Poundland extralife next.

Last edited:
I get my Duracell from Ebuyer in big packs
work out much cheaper,
also Home Bargains sometimes has really cheap Duracell big packs.

I usually buy a big box of Duracell or Energizer from Amazon. Last time I needed AA's I got 32 Duracells from Amazon for £10.59 (that was in 2015, they're £13.99 now). Works out cheap enough for me. Interesting website you've linked to though Brian, I've always discarded cheap batteries as a false economy, but maybe some of them are worth a look next time I need batteries. I only use them for tv remotes and keyboard/mouse batteries though so it's going to be a while!

I usually buy a big box of Duracell or Energizer from Amazon. Last time I needed AA's I got 32 Duracells from Amazon for £10.59 (that was in 2015, they're £13.99 now). Works out cheap enough for me. Interesting website you've linked to though Brian, I've always discarded cheap batteries as a false economy, but maybe some of them are worth a look next time I need batteries. I only use them for tv remotes and keyboard/mouse batteries though so it's going to be a while!

The duracell adverts on tv don't help in mentioned they last up to 10Xs more than other makeso_O and the energizer was better\equals Duracell for battery life, if you can believe this site http://batterysavers.com/which-alkaline-battery-last-the-longest/ Rayovac are the best..h'mm if they are cheaper

B&M Bargains sell 12 Duracell AA's for £4.49 if you have one local :)

Buy rechargeables

Well I have about 10 but when I suddenly want to use a flashgun (or whatever) they are usually flat :eek: Also they are usually 1.2v so four batteries for your camera would be about 5v..using 1.5v ones would be 6v..can't remember if it makes a difference.
But all this is doing my head in as in the Which magazine NOV 2016 for the best buy batteries they tested...for longest life is the Duracell Ultra power AA....but if you are going to use a AA battery in a clock etc then a cheap battery would do...h'mm back to square one in what is the best buy cheap battery?
So if the cost doesn't bother you then you can't go wrong with the Duracell Ultra power AA as a starter.

Last edited:
I've got about 20 rechargeable AA's and they last well!

I only use a flash gun infrequently so i use poundland batteries but never leave then in the flash even over night.

Well I have about 10 but when I suddenly want to use a flashgun (or whatever) they are usually flat :eek: Also they are usually 1.2v so four batteries for your camera would be about 5v..using 1.5v ones would be 6v..can't remember if it makes a difference.
But all this is doing my head in as in the Which magazine NOV 2016 for the best buy batteries they tested...for longest life is the Duracell Ultra power AA....but if you are going to use a AA battery in a clock etc then a cheap battery would do...h'mm back to square one in what is the best buy cheap battery?
So if the cost doesn't bother you then you can't go wrong with the Duracell Ultra power AA as a starter.

You shouldn't have that problem if you buy something like Eneloops. They are designed to hold their charge when not in use. Yes, they will discharge eventually but the discharge rate is a lot lower than ordinary rechargeables.

I use Battery Station for most of my batteries.

The 5 +3 pack of Duracell AA work out at £3.50: so 44p each

The industrial 10 pack is £2.99, postage is £2.99 but can be combined.

Last edited:
Dont buy simply duracells, they are the cheap rubbish version of the proper thing. I saw a test recently and the blue fusion max poundland batteries beat all the others, including proper duarcell,

That's interesting, as the ones I mentioned are the simply ones. I'd never done any research just went with a brand I trusted! They're only there as backups but what's the point of a backup if it's not going to work :LOL: must pick up more eneloops :)

Rechargeables from Maplins I use.

Bargain.

Maplins Extra Long Life+ Lithium are 2nd best in the which report and the cheapest for high drain cost per hour @ 2p is Wilko Extra Long Life...Duracell would be 17p

Dont buy simply duracells, they are the cheap rubbish version of the proper thing. I saw a test recently and the blue fusion max poundland batteries beat all the others, including proper duarcell,

...but I thought the fusion ones used in say Olympus were smaller in diameter, well last time I used some from the pack, only the spring is holding them in position...but then it might not matter if they move around as long as they make contact.

£14.99 for 100! Maplin's own brand , been using them for years in all my flash guns

Eneloop or fujitsu rechargables. Stopped using alkalines as they are too big a leak risk even in date. They work brilliantly in my T90, 300TL flash, F5 and mamiya 645AFD. None of them complain about the 1.25V per cell and they last very well, the flash is remarkably good. It recharges much faster after firing.

£14.99 for 100! Maplin's own brand , been using them for years in all my flash guns

H'mm the only ones I can find are http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-extra-long-life-alkaline-value-aa-batteries-100-pack-n43cy for £33, but the Duracell Industrial are £25 for 100 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-x-Ind...o&clk_rvr_id=1148705653496&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true
So the unknown is:- is Duracell better\equal\worse than Maplin with the bonus Duracell is cheaper......you'll have to agree it does your head in :eek:

Eneloop or fujitsu rechargables. Stopped using alkalines as they are too big a leak risk even in date. They work brilliantly in my T90, 300TL flash, F5 and mamiya 645AFD. None of them complain about the 1.25V per cell and they last very well, the flash is remarkably good. It recharges much faster after firing.

Well you are a top man using a T90 (y) and I've never thought of using my rechargeables in the camera...in fact I bought loads for my grandson's Thomas the tank engines...great fun preventing about 8 of them from crashing on the same winding oval track o_O:rolleyes::D

Last edited:
The advantage of using NiMH or NiCad recharables in a flash is that they have lower internal resistance, and will recharge the flash faster than alkalines. I use Vapex NiMh cells from compnent-shop.co.uk: they hold charge well and last many years (just don't let them discharge past being flat, since that damages a rechargeable cell).

The advantage of using NiMH or NiCad recharables in a flash is that they have lower internal resistance, and will recharge the flash faster than alkalines. I use Vapex NiMh cells from compnent-shop.co.uk: they hold charge well and last many years (just don't let them discharge past being flat, since that damages a rechargeable cell).

Well mine are Chinese betterpower battery supposed to be a leading battery maker :rolleyes: and found 7 in a drawer but haven't used them for a long time so will see if they still work.
Anyway new batteries in the pipeline even a urine one.... to confuse us :eek:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130...in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

Buy a battery.

Please, just buy a battery.

Any battery.

:LOL:

Seriously though. Get some Eneloops and never worry about batteries again.
:agree: :plus1:

Buy the best rechargeable you can afford and never buy another

True guys about rechargeable batteries, but I've got to get some ordinary batteries anyway as my grandchildren used my remaining supply at xmas for presents also there's birthdays and I can't very well take rechargeable batteries out before they take their presents home.

There is one point I should have mentioned in the beginning is that I only have 4 cameras that take AA batteries two T70s,T90 and F90x...well I like to give all my cameras a workout so the four mentioned might not be used for months (T90 and F90x sometimes over 6months) and even then if used, will only be heavily used on say a wedding or on holiday. So ordinary batteries could last over a year. But a flashgun can eat up batteries so a rechargeable is worth while for them.
Well you are all probably thinking what am I on about if I don't use many AA batteries over a year for camera use, then why not get the best and pay the price? Well if I'm using AA cameras lightly,then e.g. six Kodak extra life for £1 is cheaper than using four Duracell for about £4 and good enough for me plus handy to use on other things other than cameras.
So the point of the thread is:- if you want to use non rechargeable AA batteries what is the cheapest\cheaper best buy and where can you get them...plenty of tips\info and thanks guys.

I am wary of the Poundshop Kodak batteries due to leakage problems I have seen with them. Made a mess of the other half's Scholl pedi sander when they leaked in it after only a few weeks & have even seen some leak in the package before being used. Have taken to buying industrial Duracells off of ebay. £9 for 30 AA ones.

Here's my two pennies worth......... I use Duracell Industrial and get them from www.7dayshop.com. More often than not, they have a good deal on them. Having said that, I found them cheaper on Amazon before xmas.
It's one of those consumables whose price fluctuates so it's best to find a product your happy with then shop around.

I am wary of the Poundshop Kodak batteries due to leakage problems I have seen with them. Made a mess of the other half's Scholl pedi sander when they leaked in it after only a few weeks & have even seen some leak in the package before being used. Have taken to buying industrial Duracells off of ebay. £9 for 30 AA ones.

H'mm the only other batteries Poundland do is Sony...but the Duracell industrial are a good buy as there is not much point getting 100 for £25 unless you can split among friends and then who would be interested in saving a few pennies.

I use eneloop because unlike standard rechargeable batteries they hold their charge for years.
As I use my flashes intermittently, with long periods when they are not used, Eneloops do an excellent job. Flashes sometime won't work with Rechargeables unless they are very freshly charged, that is not the case with eneloops I use them with my two EF-X20 guns, which are very particular about batteries.

I use eneloop because unlike standard rechargeable batteries they hold their charge for years.
As I use my flashes intermittently, with long periods when they are not used, Eneloops do an excellent job. Flashes sometime won't work with Rechargeables unless they are very freshly charged, that is not the case with eneloops I use them with my two EF-X20 guns, which are very particular about batteries.

I've found 10 rechargeables that I bought about 8 years ago and was surprised that only two I had to throw away because they wouldn't charge (probably been left discharged for too long)...it would be interesting to know if anyone has bought a packet of not used ordinary AA batteries 8 years ago and do they still work.

Last edited:
The Kodak alkalines won't leak. It will be zinc chloride that leaked I imagine.

No, the batteries that leaked were alkaline ones. Never buy zinc. I was a nervous man opening going through all my camera gear checking what was loaded & whether any had leaked. None had thankfully.

Lots of pound shops sell cheap zinc chloride batteries, which I would never buy. It brings back memories of my childhood in the 60s when so many battery powered toys grew chemical gardens in their battery compartments.

Edit: Thinking back, the really leaky batteries were carbon/zinc types. Some of them had cardboard casings and they could really ruin a toy or a torch in no time at all back in the 1960s.

Last edited:
The Kodak alkalines won't leak. It will be zinc chloride that leaked I imagine.

My "lantern" torch battery is dying, was looking for replacement battery. It appears those big square batteries with spring terminals are all Zinc Chloride. :(

Back