Cheap but Good Midrange FX zoom

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone

I have a few primes now and they are great but I feel the need for a zoom for versatility. Somewhere in the region of 24mm-80mm. Could you recommend me some good native Nikon or third-party lenses?
Maybe there is something older that is decent. Still AF lens though :) I am going to buy used. I don't expect constant aperture and neither do I need it fast. I am also not too bothered about bokeh and using it as a portrait lens. I have primes for that. It is more a travel/environmental portrait/street lens.
Ideally no more than 250 pounds.

I am getting an fx camera in September and don't want to waste money on a DX lens for my little 'ole D90. I realise the crop factor will make the lens less useful on the wide end but that's OK for now.

Cheers

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
The 24-85 kit lens on my d600 is brilliant! Usually kit lens are low quality but I was shocked!

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_0417.jpg

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
If you want it I might ...... sell mine

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Image1494863241.196691.jpg

Name
Ned
Edit My Images
Yes
I used to use the Tamron 28-70 f/2.8 on my D700 and D610 and it was fantastic, should be available in your budget and has the benefit of being constant aperture. Doesn't have VR though...

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I used to use the Tamron 28-70 f/2.8 on my D700 and D610 and it was fantastic, should be available in your budget and has the benefit of being constant aperture. Doesn't have VR though...
Is that a heavy lens?

Edit My Images
No
I'm also a fan of the 28-105, and although it will flare when shooting directly into the sun, it's not something I see much in normal shooting. It may not have 'nano' coating, but Nikon's late 90s multicoating is still very effective - I suspect any tendency to flare is more a property of the 16 element design. It has very low distortion (something I really noticed in comparison to the 18-70, which has an equivalent zoom range on DX but significant distortion), and focuses close even outside the macro range. No AF-S or VR. I bought it for my F100, but performance is still respectable on the D800.