Cheap but Good Midrange FX zoom

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone

I have a few primes now and they are great but I feel the need for a zoom for versatility. Somewhere in the region of 24mm-80mm. Could you recommend me some good native Nikon or third-party lenses?
Maybe there is something older that is decent. Still AF lens though :) I am going to buy used. I don't expect constant aperture and neither do I need it fast. I am also not too bothered about bokeh and using it as a portrait lens. I have primes for that. It is more a travel/environmental portrait/street lens.
Ideally no more than 250 pounds.

I am getting an fx camera in September and don't want to waste money on a DX lens for my little 'ole D90. I realise the crop factor will make the lens less useful on the wide end but that's OK for now.

Cheers

The 24-85 kit lens on my d600 is brilliant! Usually kit lens are low quality but I was shocked!

IMG_0417.jpg

If you want it I might ...... sell mine

Image1494863241.196691.jpg

I used to use the Tamron 28-70 f/2.8 on my D700 and D610 and it was fantastic, should be available in your budget and has the benefit of being constant aperture. Doesn't have VR though...

I used to use the Tamron 28-70 f/2.8 on my D700 and D610 and it was fantastic, should be available in your budget and has the benefit of being constant aperture. Doesn't have VR though...

Is that a heavy lens?

If you can live with 28mm at the widest, the 28-105 AFD is a gem and very affordable

I'm also a fan of the 28-105, and although it will flare when shooting directly into the sun, it's not something I see much in normal shooting. It may not have 'nano' coating, but Nikon's late 90s multicoating is still very effective - I suspect any tendency to flare is more a property of the 16 element design. It has very low distortion (something I really noticed in comparison to the 18-70, which has an equivalent zoom range on DX but significant distortion), and focuses close even outside the macro range. No AF-S or VR. I bought it for my F100, but performance is still respectable on the D800.

Back