China, beijing, shanghai

No, in my experience the prices are the same in Shanghai (I haven't tried in the other places I've been to) as at Wex. The differences are that if you buy them there the warranty won't be recognised here.

It depends where you shop.
I go to shanghai every year with my wife and if you hit the high street shops expect to even pay more than Uk prices quite often.

If you visit one of the many electronic shopping stores/centres(hundreds of little booths selling everything form cameras to computers or tv's)
You may be able to get a bargain.

If your not asian and can't speak chinese well don't expect to though. I generally go have a look and then send my wife in as they will haggle on the price slightly.

Ive only bought one lens there though and only a 50mm 1.8D but it cost me about £70 with a UV filter,where as there £100+ here.So you can get money off but don't expect HK online store type prices.

Also slightly off topic but if you have family(with a company) or are there with a company that has a place in china then you can get even more of as they will write a tax invoice for you...they tax everything even not work retaliated back to companies in china.

Last edited:
Be careful what you are buying too. I went to Beijing, Shanghai, Xian and Hong Kong earlier in the year. Even in "proper" looking shopping malls there are fakes - I had somebody try and sell me a "Canim 7d" and then went on to touching up my camera bag and trying to get me to tell them how much monies worth of lenses I own.

I didn't find it worthwhile buying out there (and sometimes the display price was noticeably more expensive that buying from our very own Kerso!) Cheapest place was Hong Kong, and I bought a couple of things from a shop I found had alot of recommendations on the internet for being a good place (not that will help you much!)

Back