Chinon cs

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys found a boxs of old photos, cinny films and odd old camera, sum r junk & I don't think I can get them working.
But there is a chinon cs, chinon 55mm, topman mc 28mm, mirage 100-200mm & a flash. It could all do with a clean but the shutter on the body snaps fine, it winds, so planing to get sum film and have a play?
Anyone know anything bout any of the above?

Chinon were sold by Dixons (and Wallace Heaton) back in the day! I have a couple of later models that work very well. Get yourself some Pound shop Agfa Vista and put a couple of rolls through it. You have nothing to loose and lots to gain in discovering the great world of film

Below is a link to on online version of the camera's manual.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/chinon/cs/cs-splash.htm

Hope this helps

The CS was sold in the UK from about 1976 until about 1980, although as an M42 screw fit camera there were lots on the second hand market through the 80's. A sturdy Japanese made camera that was sold as a budget bit of kit when compared top Canon and Nikon. Post your shots when you have had a chance to play!

4B84B798-9E50-42B6-9EA7-3493F19A7594-2597-0000022F23797210.jpg

David, that looks in pretty good nick for a camera that is more than 35 year old!

I had a Chinon CX briefly. Seemed to be very solid cameras, a bit crude but in a "back to basics" way, like an unrefined Nikon F really.

The battery is probably the same as the CX, requiring a 1.35V mercury cell which is no longer available - you can use the 1.5V alkaline 625 batteries, and compensate with the ISO dial for the slight difference in voltage. This is, of course, if you want to use the light meter - the SLR is completely battery independent, and will shoot just fine without it.

I don't think I ever shot a roll through it!

I had a Chinon CX briefly. Seemed to be very solid cameras, a bit crude but in a "back to basics" way, like an unrefined Nikon F really.

The battery is probably the same as the CX, requiring a 1.35V mercury cell which is no longer available - you can use the 1.5V alkaline 625 batteries, and compensate with the ISO dial for the slight difference in voltage. This is, of course, if you want to use the light meter - the SLR is completely battery independent, and will shoot just fine without it.

I don't think I ever shot a roll through it!

Yea I found these on eBay tho "Wein Cell Zinc Air replacement Battery for mercury px625. Battery is 1.35 volt not 1.5 of alkaline replacement ensuring accurate metering."

And the seal looks ok to me but should I type up the back just to stop light leaking in?

I'd just run a roll through it, then you'll know if you have a light leak.

Well Agfa Vista is ISO 200 for £1 in... Poundland, you'd get some test film results on a decent evening.

If it has been stored in a reasonbly cool place it will be fine. Even if it has been stored badly it will still work most probably, just with some strange Lomoesque results. Fire a roll off and get it deved at Asda or Tesco, usualy about £3 including a scan to disc. Nothing to loose!

Go for it David, as I say nothing to lose and lots to gain in the great world of film!

Last edited:
Cool, look forward to seeing the results.

Ok, so got my photos done at asda & just got prints as its just a test roll. Took sum pics of my boys and the rest were from a walk in the woods with a mate & dogs. Came out ok, most were a little under exposed (think that's me not the film tho), surprised how grainy they were and how that made the pics look old (like from my child hood). Will load up another film and try again-mayb with the 28 this time.

Expired film will be more grainy, and underexposed film will be more grainy, and sharpening in post-processing (standard for supermarkets scanning) will increase grain. All of those things combined... lots of grain!

Ah cheers, nxt roll I'll send away to club35 or sumwhere. Don't normally shoot in full manual on the d3100 so will take abit practice

I never shoot in full manual with my Nikon DSLR either, but with a built in light meter and no ISO changing to have to worry about (since you are stuck to one ISO for the roll!), it's only two settings you have to worry about really.

If you enjoy it, and it's an occasional break from your D3100, then it's a nice bit of fun (y)

Well now that I know the cs works ok ill buy the px625 battery that it needs to get the light meter working as I didn't want the shell out 13 notes on a battery if the camera didn't work.

Huh £13! You could buy another make of camera for that. Try a cheap 1.5v alkaline and adjust the ASA till the exposure agrees with your DSLR:-

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_lr9.htm

I'd just use an LR9 and compensate with the ISO as well. Over time it drifts towards 1.35V anyway, and you can check against the meter in your D3100.

Well now that I know the cs works ok ill buy the px625 battery that it needs to get the light meter working as I didn't want the shell out 13 notes on a battery if the camera didn't work.

I presume its the modern equivalent that replaces the discontinued PX625 mercury battery your looking for? Where are you getting them from?

The Small Battery Company sells the Weincell MRB625 for only £5.50 including delivery, cheapest I've seen anywhere.

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_mrb625.htm

O.K they only last a year because of the zinc-air design but other than that they work great.

Rite think it's about time I got this bad boy bk out as I found some more film :)

Dose anyone no of any 85mm ish lens that would work on the chinon cs?

I assume it's m42 thread fitting so there's lots of lenses to choose from out there, although the 85mm is a rarer beast.

There are certainly plenty of 135's around, the Chinnons were pretty standard offerings from places like Dixons, they performed adequately but were never considered outstanding but for £20 or so you can't really go wrong.

135's a bit long for portraits for my liking and certainly too long on your D3100 but there are a lot more 135's out there, strangely you could probably find a Nikon Ai 85mm for not much more, ok you couldn't use it on your Chinnon but it would be a lovely lens.

Back