Chinon cs

135's a bit long for portraits for my liking and certainly too long on your D3100 but there are a lot more 135's out there, strangely you could probably find a Nikon Ai 85mm for not much more, ok you couldn't use it on your Chinnon but it would be a lovely lens.

Indeed for umpteen years the general rule was for 35mm:- 85mm to 100mm for face and head and shoulders, but for shots of just eyes, mouth or child\baby with small features......... then anything goes and worth experimenting.

Thanks guys, I didn't mean I wanted to use it on my d3100. just I was thinking as if I was buying for it.

A cheap way out is to use a 2Xs extender, so your 50mm lens would be 100mm..I've accumulated about 5 over the years and have done some tests and the best ones are good even on a zoom.

I still mite buy a 135mm as I'm looking on eBay for a strap anyway.
What make should I be looking for over the chinon one I linked?

If your Chinon is a M42 screw thread mount, I'd go for a Pentax super Takumar 135mm f3.5.........but 135mm was common and there weren't many bad 135mm made and even my Prinz Galaxy 135mm f3.5 for a £1 at the bootie gives good results.

The glass on the 50 isn't the best, so probably not a good idea.
Think I mite pick u a 135 and a strap for £20ish and just run with it.

Ah! an extender would make it a bit worse, but could be handy for portraiture if your subject is elderly and doesn't want razor sharp lines and spots showing. ;)

Thanks for the advice. Going to load up the chinon and the 100-200 for a test run while I wait for my new lens and strap :)

Loving your enthusiasm. With that attitude you'll have a lot of fun. Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice. Going to load up the chinon and the 100-200 for a test run while I wait for my new lens and strap :)

Don't forget to let us know what you think of camera and lenses as it's all useful knowledge...the only screw zoom I have is a sun 85-210 and the results are quite good.

Rite looking at buying a 135mm on eBay rite now, are there any brands to stay away from there's a very nice pentacon?

The Pentacon gives good results, but don't pay too much for it as on the mechanical side it's not the best. Meyer (same lens) before it, seems to be of better quality but the digital guys are after that as well. If you troll the booties you can pick up the Carl Zeiss Jena DDR 135mm f3.5 with a red "S" on the info on front of the lens...this is a cracker but everyone knows about it on Ebay. I have two bought for peanuts.
Another lens I like is the screw 135mm f3.5 EBC Fujinon T..if no one wants it and is going cheap, you wont be disappointed.

Last edited:
If its the f2.8 Hanimex then for £15 you won't go far wrong. Not top quality but a fairly good performer.

I had two CE4s in the day, both lasted about 19 years before they broke - great cameras for cheap 'rip-offs' those Chinon were :)

I shoot portraits often from 100-150mm on my DX now, and a pal of mine who does lots of fashion-style portraits shoots at the 200mm end of his 70-200 on FX as his preference; so no, I don't think 135mm is too long at all - always assuming you can get far enough away of course !!!

Dave

The 135mm henimex turned up today (still at work), so will load up my last roll of film and give it a spin over the wkend.

Mite b a stupid question but; can u have colour film developed it b&w?

Yes, but generally it's rubbish, worth it to test a camera but the results are usually dissapointing.

The 135mm henimex turned up today (still at work), so will load up my last roll of film and give it a spin over the wkend.

or dev at Asda and use Photoshop to convert to B\W...the results are quite good.

Yes, you can. I think it's fairer to say the the results are highly uneven than generally "rubbish", though. I semi-stand developed a couple of rolls of color film in Rodinal last month and really liked some of the results (and yes, some frames turned out horrible)

Treforest station by Arfonfab, on Flickr

Arcade cafe, Cardiff by Arfonfab, on Flickr

(more on my photostream)

Ok, so mite do it at asda as it's on the way/back from work next wk.
anyone no how much it is to get them to develop to cd/film with negatives only (ie no prints)-if that possible?

£3 at ASDA (if they do them at your ASDA - it'll say on the website)

Yes, you can. I think it's fairer to say the the results are highly uneven than generally "rubbish", though. I semi-stand developed a couple of rolls of color film in Rodinal last month and really liked some of the results (and yes, some frames turned out horrible)

Treforest station by Arfonfab, on Flickr

Arcade cafe, Cardiff by Arfonfab, on Flickr

(more on my photostream)

Yeah, they're okay at smaller resolution but they don't enlarge and tbh proper B&W film isn't much more expensive and the quality and consistency is much better.

St. Annes Church by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

if its what you're after it can be very useful!
HunterTestRollC41013 by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

That's what I'd do. No point in trying to fit a guitar into a violin case.:D

I really must stop posting after a trip to the pub... Just end up talking gibberish:confused:

Is ilford hp5 400 the rite/best b&w film to look at?

I'd say no, it's quite grainy and needs black and white processing which is a little bit harder to find. XP2 is a C41-based black and white film that can be processed just the same as colour in high street processors. It's about the same price and lovely to use. I also like Tri-X for the ISO 400 proper black and white film... but... all this is very personal, one person's meat is another's poison, etc.

Boots sell XP2 (and they might have some BW400CN left, Kodak's version of the same concept) and they always have a buy one, get one half price deal which brings their prices down from "rip off" to "competetive". If you don't develop your own B&W but want to shoot it, it's an ideal solution.

Ok so I kind of messed up today's plan. Cleaned the 135 up nice, played with my sons for a bit and made a cuppa. Then went upstairs to get my body, cleaned it then put the 28mm bk on it as my wife wanted me to move my car. Got bk in and found my last roll of film got a bit excited and loaded it straight up then went out the door for a walk (looking for something to shoot) even took a few snaps before I realised I STILL HAVE THE 28mm ON!!!
Walked home and sure enough come in to find the 135 all clean and waiting on the dinning table-Doh!

Oh well, looks like it's test run will be with some b&w film-that I'm goin to order now!

Time to carry two cameras around, one with the 135mm and one with the 28mm ;)

Hey guys still waiting for my b&w film to turn up and get my last film done-Hopfully 2mora.

But I'm a spot of luck one of the guys I work with said they had some old camera gear they got from there dad. So 2day i got a praktica super LT2 pentacon 50 1.8, chinon 135 2.8, a light meter, filters and holder, all in leather cases all pretty clean.
So I brought the lot for £5 :)

Back