Chris's 52 of 2011 - Weeks 11 to 15 added

I like it.
I think it would be better without the £6.00 box at the bottom, as it is the only thing in the shot that's a bit oof, also maybe a bit of the crop to get rid of the top of the drawer in the top rh corner.
But I'm being a bit picky here!

Thanks for the comments.

Dawn your edits were great. Please feel free to post them on here for all to see!

Hiya Chris,

Thanks, I'm glad you like the edit I did to your week 5 'Hard' photo and appreciate your offer for me to post here. As I don't want to clutter up your post with both the pics I will show the one and provide a link to the framed one so others can view them if they wish and provide feedback on same as they may have other suggestions, comments or advice.

Chriseve1979 Hard image (drodd's edit):

5426511250_a60995c3f3.jpg

Link to framed image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/crystal_singer/5426511392/

Basically, I just added a circle spalsh effect using Picnik.

Thanks Chris for suggesting I post the pic, if you want me to remove it later, just say and I will delete the post.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya Chris

I thought I would post separate comments for Week 6, so they don't get mixed up with my early post of the edit for Week 5.

Wow! That is some clutter you have there...... I thought I had loads of clutter, but I think we are on parr :LOL:

I agree with Dan about the £6.00 box, perhaps if you had turned it over it would have been better. Also agree about the crop he suggested.

My only other crit would be that there seems to be a lot of light reflecting off the plastic bags, perhaps if you had positioned the lighting at a slightly different angle that may have reduced the glare.

Otherwise a great take on the theme and a very cluttered image indeed.

Well done.

Cheers

very good shot for week 6 chris. I do like your week 5 edited by Dawn, a nice bit of processing.

Hiya Michael,

Without wanting to hi-jack Chriseve1979's post, thanks for the comment re the processing. (All part of my own learning experience).

Cheers

Thanks for all the comments so far!

Here's Week 7 Delicate. Our first blooms of 2011 have now started to appear in the form of our yellow crocuses. I always like the first flowers as they always look so delicate to me even though to get this far they're probably more suited to "Hard" given how they've survived this winter!

I wanted to keep this simple so just a bit of colour/contrast correction and away you go!

5455615729_5aaa479164_z_d.jpg

Hiya Chris,

I agree a lovely photo for this week. Love the colours and DOF.

Well done (y)

Cheers

Hi Chris, I like this one a lot. Simple but very striking image. Great colours and the close up works very well. It would look great as a print.

There's nothing I would change, except I find your copyright logo a bit distracting.

I see you're in Norwich. We've got a TP studio shoot next Sunday. There's a car going from Norwich if you needed a lift.
See here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=292135 and PM me if you're interested.

Cheers, Patrick

Hiya Chris,

Great photo! I love the combination of yellow and green. The pp is very good and not over the top. Simple but very sticking image. I have to agree with Patrick that the copyright is a bit distracting.

Rayna

I see you're in Norwich. We've got a TP studio shoot next Sunday. There's a car going from Norwich if you needed a lift.
See here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=292135 and PM me if you're interested.

Cheers, Patrick

Hi Patrick. Thanks for letting me know about this. Unfortuantely I already have plans for this weekend in Dereham, but if you do another of these, please let me know as I would be interested in taking part.

Thanks for all the comments on Week 7.

Here's a revised version with that copyright moved and shrunk down:-

5473633832_8febdfc2ca_z_d.jpg

That's better!

Right onto week 8 - Chaos.

Now before you see the photo I should warn it may disturb a few of you as it's not the nicest of photos. This was taken at nearby Whitlingham Broad and an irresponsible woman with 2 dogs let them into the water right near a family of swans. Inevitably one of them proceeded to attack one of the adults. Fortunately the dog didn't get to the swans and they escaped uninjured and swam away soon after. This photo was in fact taken in the summer, as I am unlikely to get outside this week due to a relapse of my M.E, but thought as well as fitting the theme, this just highlights one of my pet hates of irresponible dog owners who have no appreciation of wildlife (or other people for that matter). This is not the first time I have seen this and last time around a swan suffered a wing injury. Thankfully my wife got a sneaky photo of the owner this time and she has been reported to the RSPB.

5473613210_c0d2f373b9_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
A very good photo, and fits the subject perfectly. I have to agree with you about owners of animals that can't/don't/won't control them properly. It makes me so angry! My neighbour had a beautiful Husky and let it run free amongst sheep, which as a hunting dog it obviously couldn't resist the urge to attack. The courts decided the dog was to be destroyed, which absolutely infuriated me.

But, back to the photo. I love the processing on this, it works really well and actually has an almost unreal feel to it, which reminds me of the old oil paintings my gran used to have. I'd be very happy with that shot indeed, if I'd taken it :)

Hiya Chris,

Thanks for the warning on your 'chaos' photo ... it just makes my blood boil to see how people can be so irresponsible with their animals. Not only is it dangerous to the wildlife, but to others around the area. I for one have a fear of dogs, especially aggressive dogs, (as I have been attacked by one when I was younger) and somehow they sense that fear and go for me.

Glad to hear that in this instance the swan family escaped, but not so happy to hear that the previous time the swan was injured. Your wife did right taking a photo and reporting to the RSPB.

A good photo, even though not the best of situations, but definetly one to document the chaos caused by unleased animals in a public place.

Sorry to hear you have not been feeling too well again, I hope you regain your strength soon.

Cheers

Dawn

Thank you both. Yes the same thing happened to my wife when she was little and she's had a fear of dogs ever since. It's all very well the owners saying "It's alright he won't bite" but that's exactly what the owner of the dog said to my wife moments before it bit her.

Hi Chris, excellent pic, if as you say rather disturbing. Hard to view the image dispassionately as a photograph. Hope the dog owner has learned a lesson.

Perfect for theme. Very nicely lit, focussed and composed. I like the processing, but a bit over-sharpened for my taste.

Well done (y) , Patrick

Wow, Chris, that's a powerful image. Great composition - I like the way one swan is shepherding the cygents away and the other ones defending the family.

Good to hear none were injured and here's hoping a big fine is on it's way to the dog owner.

Cheers.

Hi Chris,

I like your Week 5 - Hard, although the effect might not cry out 'Hard', I think it looks really cool nevertheless.

Your delivate picture is really nice too, I like the perspective.

Will :D.

even though it's a disturbing shot, I think it fits really well with this weeks theme. and good for you for reporting the owner - I hate irresponsible owners too!

Thanks for all the comment re. week 8.

For week 9, something a little more mellow I think.

Well, week 9 "Finish", well there was really only one thing that would qualify for this week's theme - that of my (finally) "finished" lounge redecoration. Nothing special and no fancy photoshopping this time, just a few photos to show the completed room - well, that is except for the flooring which will eventually see the carpet go in favour of wood flooring later this year.

5500702658_851cd04d3d_z_d.jpg

5500702956_26d9dcfe67_z_d.jpg

5500107779_f62a7bce3e_z_d.jpg

5500702546_b009ffe9b4_z_d.jpg

Right - Week 10 Trio. Now this was easy for me as the perfect trio are currently living in the lounge.

Left to right: Biscuit, Caramel and Silky.

5503936272_3552374c92_z_d.jpg

Hiya Chris

:LOL: the 'Three Musketeers' ... great shot for this week, and defo better without the hand.

Also catching up on your week 9 ... it looks like you have been very busy. Loads of photos there, from various angles. If I had to choose one it would be the first image, mainly because it looks more inviting and better composed although I think the lights are a bit harsh. Perhaps if you had lit some candles and turned off the ceiling lights it would look fab .... but then I guess we wouldn't get the big picture of your decorating..... which was for the theme.

Cheers

Going back a bit to the Finish photos - I've done a couple of these in daylight now to remove the problem of the lights.

5514864732_b02ee4d490_z_d.jpg

5514864670_7a9064d61c_z_d.jpg

Well time flies when you're having fun (or not as has been the case recently). I have to currently limit my screen usage so keeping up to date has proved challenging - but wow I am behind on here now!

Right, here goes with the first batch of catch-up photos. I cannot promise they were taken in exactly the right week for each challenge, but cannot be too far out as these have been taken in the last couple of months (except week 11):-

Week 11 Knowledge

One from last year on a visit to the Hawk Conservancy - a place we'd much like to visit again very soon. We all know about owls being knowledgable - so here's my take on this theme:

5730116695_75eaa5980b_z_d.jpg

Week 12 - Moderation

The main advice I have been given in coping with my illness is doing things in moderation - this includes exercise so on a gentle walk in the local park I took this photo amongst others:-

5730116837_93be5cf2d3_z_d.jpg

Week 13 - Empty:

On a visit to see a couple of friends in Peterborough it was arranged to try a spot of train-spotting, but the day was marred by a lineside fire which disrupted services on the East Coast main-line - typical! So here's a shot of the lines completely empty whilst Network Rail were repairing the signalling at Peterborough:-

5730667704_5e51f1a82d_z_d.jpg

Week 14 - Object

A light bulb - but not as you would normally see it! This took a few goes.

5730117039_d20b3079e8_z_d.jpg

Week 15 - Wrong:

A more recent visit to the ECML for a steam train saw this freight passing with 2 locos - the second one, numbered 66562 had gone "Wrong" and had to be rescued...

5730117229_589a64f40e_z_d.jpg

Weeks 16 to 20 to follow soon...

Back