Chroma - Lasercut Acrylic 4x5 Field Camera

These are the two standards side by side. I'm happy with the size of the traditional standard (on screen anyway!) and it will fold into the body in the same way as the technical standard so I'm going to cut it this week. I'll also cut the technical standard so I can test them both out.

finalchroma.jpg

At the moment, the front plate of the bellows is a tight fit around the embedded Acrylic seal on the back of the standard so I don't need any additional fixings. I'll test how well it holds with the new standard too before deciding on having embedded magnets or not.

Oh man, I'm going to have record a video for the Kickstarter campaign...anyone fancy being a hand model so I don't have to? [emoji6]
Wear a variety of gloves! Marigolds in one scene, bike gloves in the next... finish off with some evening gloves! :p

I reckon that's the best design for the bellows so far. I tried using my iron at home to bond the inner/outer layers together instead of using the heat Press because it's not that big. It took longer to use the iron as it obviously doesn't transfer as much heat as the press does or spread the pressure but it worked in the end. I reckon I'll do the rest using the heat press though ;0)

This is the bellows being weighed down for the night. That's around 10mm thick so should close up nicely.

IMG_8535.JPG

Last edited:
If you go from that parts photo to "here's one I prepared earlier" without showing the build, I'm going to come to your house and push grapes through your letterbox. :mad:

Just for you Dean I'll photograph as I go along but it will have to wait unfortunately. My day job has just called me out to fix a problem in a factory in Mexico (from the comfort of my sofa luckily!) so I'll pick it up again tomorrow m.

@Strappy First stage update. I've embedded the threads into the base and checked alignment. I still need to countersink the heads but it's a start :0)

IMG_8556.JPG

IMG_8557.JPG

While I'm going along I've been putting together a snag list and making minor adjustments to the models. Nothing major, just making sure the various holes/light seals are all aligned.

Threads embedded into the 3mm front bellows plate to secure it to the front standard.

IMG_8558.JPG

IMG_8560.JPG

The plate will bonded and clamped to the bellows then bolted to the standard. There will then be an embedded 10mm surround bonded to the front standard plate and through the bellows plate to ensure a good light seal.

Harder to describe than build but I'll photograph that next!

At the moment I'm embedding the brass threads by hand using a wide attachment on my soldering iron to heat press them. It works but is a bit time consuming so I've got a bench drill press on the way and am printing an adaptor to mount my soldering iron into it. As well as keeping everything vertical I will also then have a fixed stop so I can embed the threads much more easily. I'll also use the same press for countersinking the screw heads consistently.

I'm interpreting "bonded" to mean "glued", which puts me in mind of my messy attempts at gluing anything, with little strands of glue everywhere, and lots of clothes pegs to clamp it together. I'm guessing there's a better way for "manufacturing" (even short run)?

I'm interpreting "bonded" to mean "glued", which puts me in mind of my messy attempts at gluing anything, with little strands of glue everywhere, and lots of clothes pegs to clamp it together. I'm guessing there's a better way for "manufacturing" (even short run)?

The acrylic is bonded using an adhesive called Snapfix. It's applied using a syringe and runs like water so it fills the cavity between layers and basically melts the acrylic to fuse them together. For bonding the bellows to the plate, I use gorilla glue which is water activated and isn't coming off any time soon!

I need to pool everyone's collective knowledge to come up with some interesting locations around Shrewsbury/Ironbridge where I can shoot the video for my Kickstarter campaign. I'm getting some help from my friend who lives in Worcester so we're meeting in the middle. I need some interesting locations to show the camera in use, as well as shooting some example photographs and could do with somewhere to shoot out of the rain if the weather isn't kind! All suggestions welcome :0)

I need to pool everyone's collective knowledge to come up with some interesting locations around Shrewsbury/Ironbridge where I can shoot the video for my Kickstarter campaign. I'm getting some help from my friend who lives in Worcester so we're meeting in the middle. I need some interesting locations to show the camera in use, as well as shooting some example photographs and could do with somewhere to shoot out of the rain if the weather isn't kind! All suggestions welcome :0)

The clue is in the name.... 'Ironbridge'..... a very interesting location.

Also Blists Hill Victorian village, but get there when they open and dont go during school hols would be my suggestion.
Andy

The clue is in the name.... 'Ironbridge'..... a very interesting location.

Also Blists Hill Victorian village, but get there when they open and dont go during school hols would be my suggestion.
Andy

Cheers Andy, I was thinking about Ironbridge too so I guess it's the obvious choice [emoji1303]. I'm also going to be shooting some product shots in Liverpool City Centre separately so I can show the portability/styling of the camera to suit all environments.

We'll be shooting on a Monday morning in a few weeks' time so all shook should be back again which will help with visitor numbers.

The Iron Bridge would provide a nice contrast between old industrial technology and your acrylic camera. Might be worth contacting the visitors centre and running through what you're planning, see if they can provide advice or, if you're lucky, they might be able to give you access to an area that you wouldn't otherwise see.

The Iron Bridge would provide a nice contrast between old industrial technology and your acrylic camera. Might be worth contacting the visitors centre and running through what you're planning, see if they can provide advice or, if you're lucky, they might be able to give you access to an area that you wouldn't otherwise see.

Good idea about the contrast in Old vs New and contacting them ahead of time. I'll see what I can do :0)

I emailed Ironbridge earlier about shooting there next week so fingers' crossed.

I've been doing some more assembly and am really happy with the overall alignments and the smoothness of the front standard.

1) This is the plate that's bonded to the rotating film holder section and fits through the rear upright. There's a closed cell foam light seal then four plates that secure it into the upright with a 5mm overlap all round and allow it to rotate.

Image1504539743.756602.jpg

Ready to insert into the upright then bond to the film holder.

IMG_8603.JPG

IMG_8606.JPG

I've been embedding more threads into the front standard (rear plate) and rear uprights.

IMG_8604.JPG

IMG_8605.JPG

When bolted together, this is the rise/fall section of the front standard

IMG_8609.JPG

And the bed/rear upright secured together with the hinge rods

IMG_8607.JPG

Last edited:
Excited.... :banana:

And a couple more..

There's the rotating insert that will be bonded to the film plate.

IMG_8610.JPG

And the rear plate in place

IMG_8612.JPG

IMG_8613.JPG

I've just bonded the front plate to the bellows so I've clamped it to the front standard to keep it flat until it dries

IMG_8614.JPG

The rear bellows plate isn't bonded yet because I need to modify it slightly. I also need to assemble the base of the front standard that will be both the hinge point for the tilt movements and control shift.

IMG_8616.JPG

I take it you're doing film holders and recessed lens boards the same colour.

...or were you thinking a set of colours for the holders to identify different film types? ;)

I take it you're doing film holders and recessed lens boards the same colour.

...or were you thinking a set of colours for the holders to identify different film types? ;)

The camera uses standard DDS holders so no need to manufacture my own. The current design and bellows should also allow lenses as wide as 35-45mm to be used without needing a recessed lens board (with limited movements of course).

Reactions: acs
The camera uses standard DDS holders so no need to manufacture my own.

Non matching film holders ....Half a job :p

The current design and bellows should also allow lenses as wide as 35-45mm to be used without needing a recessed lens board (with limited movements of course).

Nice, that might just cost me another lens :naughty:

I'm kind of at a crossroads with the Chroma now. I've gone backwards and forwards with the front standard loads of times. Whilst I like the control possible with the technical standard and the independent movements prevent one impacting another, I'm seriously starting to think that it's too complicated for its own good. Although, it does look awesome ;0)

003880AE-FCF2-4927-B2CB-4C66567C058B.JPG

4C0CF3D3-AFB3-4E73-AA3D-A71783AEE8C6.JPG

8A15B8AE-C351-45ED-B700-50BB6F2CC4E9.JPG

I've assembled the traditional standard that I cut out of mdf to test the alignment and am seriously coming round to the idea of launching the camera with it, with a view to releasing the technical standard as the mk2.

A1DEBC44-5D31-49DA-BB9F-EB145C025595.JPG

3017D31C-5661-4471-BF32-79963603FE01.JPG

Apart from slightly less shift (around 5mm each direction), the traditional standard gives the same range of movements and is considerably simpler to assemble.

Why not make the technical standard a push goal or whatever they're called, the goals that you look to implement if you get more funding than your initial request?

I would be very tempted to keep it simple to begin with and your idea of offering the technical standard as a MkII sounds good. Would it be an idea to sell the tech std as a one off piece so people could upgrade later if they wanted too?

Why not make the technical standard a push goal or whatever they're called, the goals that you look to implement if you get more funding than your initial request?

That did cross my mind but I'm a bit concerned that I may then have to build 60 technical standards when I'm not completely sure that they're the right way to go. I'm aware that I keep pushing back my launch date so I want to get it out there sooner rather than later.

I would be very tempted to keep it simple to begin with and your idea of offering the technical standard as a MkII sounds good. Would it be an idea to sell the tech std as a one off piece so people could upgrade later if they wanted too?

I reckon this may be the better approach. I'll feature the technical standard in my launch video/photos but ensure it's shown as a future upgrade path. The camera is modular anyway so you'd only need to unscrew 4 screws from inside the bellows that secure them to the front standard then the upgraded standard could be dropped in instead.

Woah, it looks awesome all together!

Thanks Charlotte [emoji1303] There isn't a rear plate on the bellows yet so they look a bit wonky because they're not secured to the rear standard but I like the overall size/style.

I'm also going to add a couple of half-moon rotating clips to the rear standard to make sure there isn't any flex in the film holders. As they're held in by friction, I've noticed a small amount of flex in the middle of the holder (<1mm) so a couple of simple clips will prevent that.

Ok, I've added the locking tabs for rise/fall as well as fitting the central bolt to lock the front standard to the camera bed and must say that I like the technical standard more, now that it's stable. I need to look at the assembly to make it a bit more streamlined but maybe I shouldn't go for the simple route straight away. One of my contacts on Instagram commented to say that I should highlight what my camera does over an Intrepid if I want it to get backing. Having the full technical standard is a big plus over the traditional (as per previous comments here too) so I should capitalise on that.

Not too sure about the 'blackcurrant and liquorice' but looking good. :)

One of my contacts on Instagram commented to say that I should highlight what my camera does over an Intrepid if I want it to get backing.

Given the publicity I think this is a must.

Do you have holes for the anti-rotation pins on common QR plates? ...seen a few videos with people using the small Manfrotto (200PL) plates with Intrepid cameras.

I confess it's a thread I dip into, but have you tried it with Horseman and Wista roll-film holders (for 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12)? Shen did a 6x17 extension back but that's probably a bit much.

Anyway, when are you taking orders? :D ...not that I need another 4x5, but... :)

Back