Chroma - Lasercut Acrylic 4x5 Field Camera

Here’s an interesting comparison. One camera shoots 6x6 on 120 rollfilm, the other shoots 4x5 sheet, 4x5 Quickload, 6x4.5-6x12 on 120 rollfilm, 4x5 wet plate and Instax Wide (down the line!) with full control of movements;

IMG_1522333010.246163.jpg

The weight difference....

IMG_1522333026.331809.jpg

IMG_1522333036.092675.jpg

70g [emoji6]

Didn't realise you could get an instax back for the Kiev :)

That's really light though excellent comparison. Now where is that rb67 comparison with the week shopping

ChromaFront-BRG.jpg
ChromaBack-BRG.jpg
ChromaBack2-BRG.jpg

The front and back plates of the bellows are integrated into the front/rear standards and I'm planning on cutting those from matt black acrylic for all cameras. The reason for doing them all in black, apart from them blending in with the black bellows, is so I can mass assemble the bellows ahead of time while the coloured acrylic parts are being cut so I'm ready to bolt the cameras together as soon as they're cut.

Last edited:
Do you know yet what are the weak points of the structure?
Are they easy to replace?
Have you thought about availability of spares?
Or Guarantee?

Do you know yet what are the weak points of the structure?
Are they easy to replace?
Have you thought about availability of spares?
Or Guarantee?

There are no weak points :0)

If someone drops their Chroma off their tripod there's always the chance of parts breaking. As the entire camera is dry-assembled using laminated parts it's also possible to disassemble it and replace those layers that are damaged. Whilst I'm not providing a specific time-limited warranty, I want everyone to be able to enjoy using their Chroma so would be happy to replace parts on the camera for the cost of postage (send the camera back to me and I'll replace the parts). All of the major parts of the camera, except for the actual rivnuts/bolts, are cut from acrylic sheet so I can replace them. Whilst I'm not intending to hold stock of individual pieces, I can re-cut parts quickly so can turnaround any repairs/replacements within a week.

View attachment 123184
View attachment 123185
View attachment 123186

The front and back plates of the bellows are integrated into the front/rear standards and I'm planning on cutting those from matt black acrylic for all cameras. The reason for doing them all in black, apart from them blending in with the black bellows, is so I can mass assemble the bellows ahead of time while the coloured acrylic parts are being cut so I'm ready to bolt the cameras together as soon as they're cut.

That looks pretty close to Bentley's version of BRG. Class! :D

There are no weak points :0)

If someone drops their Chroma off their tripod there's always the chance of parts breaking. As the entire camera is dry-assembled using laminated parts it's also possible to disassemble it and replace those layers that are damaged. Whilst I'm not providing a specific time-limited warranty, I want everyone to be able to enjoy using their Chroma so would be happy to replace parts on the camera for the cost of postage (send the camera back to me and I'll replace the parts). All of the major parts of the camera, except for the actual rivnuts/bolts, are cut from acrylic sheet so I can replace them. Whilst I'm not intending to hold stock of individual pieces, I can re-cut parts quickly so can turnaround any repairs/replacements within a week.
(y)

View attachment 123184
View attachment 123185
View attachment 123186

Thanks for the updated colour images.
Whilst I do like the colour.... I will keep the colour I have chosen. (y) :)

Here’s an interesting comparison. One camera shoots 6x6 on 120 rollfilm, the other shoots 4x5 sheet, 4x5 Quickload, 6x4.5-6x12 on 120 rollfilm, 4x5 wet plate and Instax Wide (down the line!) with full control of movements;
One isn't actually fitted with a lens ...

I thought this would end up lighter Steve, I've just checked my Chamonix and it's 1530g with the GG protector in place. True, it's also several £000s heavier on the bank balance

I'm still super impressed, and if I didn't already have 4 LF cameras lying around the house I would have definitely been after one of these (yellow is clearly the coolest option)

I thought this would end up lighter Steve, I've just checked my Chamonix and it's 1530g with the GG protector in place. True, it's also several £000s heavier on the bank balance

I'm still super impressed, and if I didn't already have 4 LF cameras lying around the house I would have definitely been after one of these (yellow is clearly the coolest option)

Cheers although if I didn’t have full technical controls I’d probably save 50-70g of weight through the larger thumb nuts and frame. I’m happy with being similar weight to a classic like the Chamonix though, and they all look the same too [emoji6]

Steve, I know I may be asking for the moon on a stick but is there a chance of seeing completed cameras in each colour? I just can’t make up my mind :runaway:

Steve, I know I may be asking for the moon on a stick but is there a chance of seeing completed cameras in each colour? I just can’t make up my mind :runaway:

I’d never suggest you’re asking too much Nick...but...I haven’t got one of each colour built until I actually start building the Chromas for the backers.

I can do more digital renders tonight in each colour if that helps?

I’d never suggest you’re asking too much Nick...but...I haven’t got one of each colour built until I actually start building the Chromas for the backers.

I can do more digital renders tonight in each colour if that helps?

We are a demanding lot aren't we :LOL::LOL:

They would look nice as a set of miniatures.... then I would have one of each colour. :LOL:

Will the 10x8 be available in the same colours :D

You’re not the first to suggest that funnily enough. I started drawing up a quarter-scale model to 3D print but had to put it on the back burner while I finished the main camera. I’ll get back to it though [emoji6]
Just thinking...

How about an MF lens mount with a 35mm film path (?switchable between panoramic and 3:2 aspect ratios?) with the same tilt and shift as the full sized Chroma?

Just thinking...

How about an MF lens mount with a 35mm film path (?switchable between panoramic and 3:2 aspect ratios?) with the same tilt and shift as the full sized Chroma?

It’s an option. The only issues I can see are actually showing the benefits of the movement on 35mm film and finding a medium format lens with an integrated shutter. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Mamiya Press and Mamiya/Hasselblad leaf shutter lenses. I’d also need to build a 35mm back with controlled winding mechanism to ensure that it winds on to the next frame properly.

Would probably work fine with a 4x5/6x9 coverage lens but I’ll have to have a think about the film back. Cheers for the idea though, good to get suggestions [emoji1303]

It’s an option. The only issues I can see are actually showing the benefits of the movement on 35mm film and finding a medium format lens with an integrated shutter. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Mamiya Press and Mamiya/Hasselblad leaf shutter lenses. I’d also need to build a 35mm back with controlled winding mechanism to ensure that it winds on to the next frame properly.

Would probably work fine with a 4x5/6x9 coverage lens but I’ll have to have a think about the film back. Cheers for the idea though, good to get suggestions [emoji1303]

Damn! I'd completely forgotten about the need for a shutter somewhere along the line! Ignore the thought I had for a "simple" F mount 35mm version!!!

Packard shutter or something similar from acrylic? Çontarex type back?

Packard shutter or something similar from acrylic? Çontarex type back?

Weirdly, the guy who has just bought the Packard shutter company contacted me a few weeks back about working together to offer a Chroma Packard shutter :0) We've spoken a few times backwards and forwards and he's coming back to me with a small enough shutter to mount into the Chroma front standard :)

I've been lurking around this thread for a while (and ended up as a backer :)) but thought I'd comment on the lens adaptation.

Mercury Camera (http://mercurycamera.com/) are doing some interesting work adapting lenses of various sorts, including 135 lenses to shutters. May be something there of use.

I’ve recently received one of their cameras (just the basic 6x9 I'm using with a couple of view lenses and roll film backs) and Zach (the main guy) is pretty helpful.

------
Rob

Thanks for your backing Rob, and the advice! I haven't kept up to date on the Mercury development since their successful KS campaign but I'll take a look. Are they building their own shutters?

I've just had a read through the 135 adaptor page for Mercury (http://mercurycamera.com/system-lens-adaptation-kits-finalized/). Whilst it's good that they're offering flexibility, I'm a bit confused as to why you'd want to shoot on a 645 or larger back when most 135 lenses will barely cover up to 4x4? Converting the medium format lenses is useful because they will cover 645 and larger though.

I've had similar thoughts - I think they are really aimed at 35mm backs (and having read the earlier posts here realise that I misunderstood the 35mm comment so it's not really relevant).

The more interesting bit is perhaps the top of that page, with the MF system lenses that can be adapted, and the possibility of buying/printing just the adapter into a shutter and mounting that on a lens board for use with roll film backs on any LF camera. Mainly as it widens the possibilities to those that do not have integrated shutters.

------
Rob

I’m not sure there are any 35mm backs? The only similar thing I’ve seen is a 35mm system camera that has interchangeable backs but that’s very unique.

I guess it’s just another option for those that want to try a wider range of lenses.

Back