Chroma - Lasercut Acrylic 4x5 Field Camera

I’ve only got one fully assembled Snapshot here, so I need that for TPS in a few weeks, but I’m happy to send it over to you after the show to try out if you like?

THAT WOULD BE JUST FAB!! [emoji4]

I’d be more than delighted to put it through a trial and give feedback on how it performs etc.
Just drop me a line when you’re ready to send out and I’ll help with the postal fee.

As it is I’m passing time on TP whilst freezing to death up above the village waiting for some half reasonable light.
Been here an hour already and things ain’t looking promising. Not least of all there is sleet in the air!!
Adjustments.JPG

Your very kind offer is heartwarming but tbh it’s everywhere else that needs warming up [emoji23]

As it is I’m passing time on TP whilst freezing to death up above the village waiting for some half reasonable light.
Been here an hour already and things ain’t looking promising. Not least of all there is sleet in the air!!
View attachment 269973

Your very kind offer is heartwarming but tbh it’s everywhere else that needs warming up [emoji23]

Hasty retreat !!!

Already wet through including the kit!

Blowing a hooley with rain sleet and an ice cold wind

Time to move my butt.....
IMG_0442.JPG

We were watching the first series of "The Crown" and I was very much taken with the large cameras the press were using; presumably Press cameras! But hand-held 4x5 seems prety much like magic to me. Maybe this is, too! I guess shorter focal lengths would be better, give you a bit more room on focussing (which must also be magic).

We were watching the first series of "The Crown" and I was very much taken with the large cameras the press were using; presumably Press cameras! But hand-held 4x5 seems prety much like magic to me. Maybe this is, too! I guess shorter focal lengths would be better, give you a bit more room on focussing (which must also be magic).

Yes it could be a challenge.
I

It depends on how you want to shoot at the time really.

There’s a ground glass and tripod thread if you want to spend time composing/focusing (and for setting up/marking the focus distances on the helicoid first).

Alternatively, you can set the lens to a specific distance, as marked on the helicoid, and shoot from the hip using Zone or Hyperfocal focusing, which is what the Press Photographers would have done with their Graflex cameras.

Last edited:
from midnight tonight.

In a shamelessly deperate attempt to be high in the queue, I tried now!!!
Showing out of stock with the Carbon Adventurer+Copal 0. Is that because I've jumped the gun?

In a shamelessly deperate attempt to be high in the queue, I tried now!!!
Showing out of stock with the Carbon Adventurer+Copal 0. Is that because I've jumped the gun?

Yeah, ‘fraid so ;0) I’m going to add stock of all the cameras soon, just sorting out the postage for them all then it’s good to go.

Edit - I forgot to say, thanks [emoji1303]

Last edited:
It depends on how you want to shoot at the time really.

There’s a ground glass and tripod thread if you want to spend time composing/focusing (and for setting up/marking the focus distances on the helicoid first).

Alternatively, you can set the lens to a specific distance, as marked on the helicoid, and shoot from the hip using Zone or Hyperfocal focusing, which is what the Press Photographers would have done with their Graflex cameras.

Crown and speed graphics had excellent range finders that were coupled to. Individual lens cams.
The kalrat range finder could also be focused in the dark as it projected two light beams through it which you brought together as a single spot when in focus.

@stevelmx5

Oh you evil tempter of poor filmies.... I'm really tempted by the snapshot, with a 6 X 9 back it would be ideal for carrying on walks and I've got a pin sharp Schneider 90mm that would be perfect or even the 135mm Fujinon....:runaway: Can you do them in any other colours like the Mulberry?

Ah, yes, I see that other colour options are available.
Do you think any other 6 X 9 backs would work or is it just the Toyo?

Last edited:
Ah, yes, I see that other colour options are available.
Do you think any other 6 X 9 backs would work or is it just the Toyo?

You beat me to it mate ;0) I can make them with whichever coloured bellows plate you fancy.

Any other 4x5 compatible rollfilm back will fit too. It’s just that I only have the Toyo one here myself.

This is fantastic, Steve, your little family is really growing!

I'm not sure I understand how the focus/shoot workflow goes for the Snapshot. If the show had been on, it would be easy to demonstrate, any chance of a wee video?

This is fantastic, Steve, your little family is really growing!

I'm not sure I understand how the focus/shoot workflow goes for the Snapshot. If the show had been on, it would be easy to demonstrate, any chance of a wee video?

Thanks Chris. It’s a real shame that I couldn’t demonstrate the cameras hands on this weekend.

There are basically two ways to use the Snapshot;

1) Use the ground glass to focus/compose, like any other large format camera. You can setup either your scene (easier with the camera on a tripod), or you can use the glass to determine your focus/depth of field initially, then just point and shoot the camera without changing the focus.

2) Use the ground glass, or a rangefinder, to mark off distances on the helicoid according to how you like to shoot. I’ve got, infinity - 10’ - 6’ then 2’6” at closest focus. Then, as you walk around you can set the helicoid to a certain distance, say 10’ for street shooting for example, then just concentrate on your framing and not change the focus. I also bought a cheap 28mm hotshoe viewfinder off EBay last week (£13) which gives me a rough field of view similar to the 90mm lens I’ve got on mine. That helps me visualise the frame without using the ground glass.

I’m really tempted by the Snapshot but I just don’t have the spare cash at the moment, I need all my money to buy toilet roll on the black market.

...and baked beans, worth more than their weight in gold at the moment, we've got 600 cans under the bed, set for life :D

I’ve just got my Carbon Adventurer back from being out on loan and decided to mix it up a bit with some modern/classic styling :0)

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_4050.JPG

The printed parts are made with woodfill PLA, rather than the standard black ABS. This filament has wood fibres within it so it feels a little like MDF, and smells like it, but is printed.

Now I need to actually get out and use it!

Looks good mate

I’ve just got my Carbon Adventurer back from being out on loan and decided to mix it up a bit with some modern/classic styling :0)

View attachment 279046

View attachment 279047

View attachment 279048

The printed parts are made with woodfill PLA, rather than the standard black ABS. This filament has wood fibres within it so it feels a little like MDF, and smells like it, but is printed.

Now I need to actually get out and use it!

Very nice, it has a rather high class look about it (y)

Hang on, you can print in MDF now! Fantastic! Might save my saws getting chewed up on the stuff too.

Thanks guys. This is what happens when there’s a shortage of black filament so I try something new. It could have been glow in the dark if there was not woodfill available [emoji23]

Now there's a good idea. A Chroma that glows red in the dark to double as a safelight for developing ortho film. Brilliant!

Back