Chroma Photographers’ Utility Jacket - Preview

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I’ve been trying to decide if I should share anything about my new Utility Jacket for the last few weeks, but I’m too excited not to [emoji6]

I’ve been designing this with the manufacturer for the last few months, including some challenging conversations trying to explain what a dark cloth is for, and why I would want one that attaches to a jacket, but we got there in the end!

Essentially, the Chroma Photographers’ Utility Jacket is a soft shell outer layer coat, with a selection of oversized pockets, tailored for photographers, and a detachable dark cloth hood which doubles as a camera wrap to protect your camera when travelling.

The tall collar acts as wind protection for your neck, and also has an integrated Velcro strip inside, which allows for the dark cloth hood to be secured to it to stop it blowing away in winds whilst working with your camera;

IMG_6687.JPG

The collar can also be turned down, and the cuffs are adjustable using simple Velcro fastenings;

IMG_6688.JPG

On the front, there are two large double pockets. The top entry pockets are 6” wide, to allow for DDS sheet, Grafmatic, Polaroid, dry plate and rollfilm backs to be held. There are also two smaller pockets on the side of these for your hands.

IMG_6692.JPG

Moving to the back, there is a full-width zipped pocket for storing any other items you may need close to hand. The production version will have the zip lower on the back for easier access when wearing the jacket.

IMG_6691.JPG

Finally on the jacket, there are pull toggles on each side of the waist so it can be pulled in.

The other major feature of the Utility Jacket is the separate oversized dark cloth hood, which is detachable from the jacket to allow it to be left attached to the camera on a tripod when you need to step away, without it billowing in the wind like traditional cloths.

IMG_6694.JPG

IMG_6695.JPG

The dark cloth has an 18” diameter front opening, with integrated pull strings to close the front around your camera.

IMG_6701.JPG

Underneath, there is a full length zip, which opens towards the back of the hood to allow you to get your hands in from below to adjust focus etc.

IMG_6700.JPG

By leaving the hood fixed to the camera, you can simply put your head through the opening in the bottom, and affix the hood to your jacket using the integrated Velcro if it’s windy.

Finally, the hood can be used as a camera wrap to protect your kit when it’s not in use too [emoji1303]

I’m sorting out the printed branding on this jacket (in black) this week, and will be photographing it, and being photographed in it!, ahead of putting together a Kickstarter campaign for its’ release in the next few weeks. The jacket/hood will be available in a range of colours, these will be shared in the campaign.

I’m working on a number of Earlybird options being available for £65, along with standard rewards at £80.

Any feedback is massively appreciated. This is the first and only place I’ve shared details about this, so I hope it’s something that appeals to photographers, as much as it does to me.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Interesting. My Billingham waistcoat has 2 large front pockets, which can take both 5x4 and 5x7 filmholders. 3 5x4 in each side. Plus 6 other front pockets and 4 internal ones. I appreciate that this is a jacket, rather than a sleeveless waistcoat, which means presumably another jacket with more pockets could fit under it?

I standardly carry the following items in my waistcoat:
2 Lunasix light meters
Loup
Circular filters screwed together with end caps
Notebook
Wallet
Change purse and house keys
Mobile phone
Odds and ends like a couple of pens, car key, comb.
Cable release

And if actually with a camera, 6 film holders (alas, not 10x8).

Faced with that, what are the chances of fitting it in? My focussing cloth (Paramo) has press studs, and can be worn as a cape if necessary.

Edit to add:

I forgot to ask. Given the length, how easy is it to bend down when carrying film holders?

Last edited:
Interesting. My Billingham waistcoat has 2 large front pockets, which can take both 5x4 and 5x7 filmholders. 3 5x4 in each side. Plus 6 other front pockets and 4 internal ones. I appreciate that this is a jacket, rather than a sleeveless waistcoat, which means presumably another jacket with more pockets could fit under it?

I standardly carry the following items in my waistcoat:
2 Lunasix light meters
Loup
Circular filters screwed together with end caps
Notebook
Wallet
Change purse and house keys
Mobile phone
Odds and ends like a couple of pens, car key, comb.
Cable release

And if actually with a camera, 6 film holders (alas, not 10x8).

Faced with that, what are the chances of fitting it in? My focussing cloth (Paramo) has press studs, and can be worn as a cape if necessary.

I looked at a lot of existing photographers' clothing before designing this, and deliberately chose not to cover the jacket in pockets of all shapes and sizes. Partly because there are already existing waistcoats, exactly like yours, but mainly because I wanted to design a jacket that I'd want to wear when I'm not out with my camera too.

With regards to your kit list, the large majority of the non-holder items could comfortably fit into the rear pocket. For the holders, I designed it around the idea of having somewhere to keep exposed holders (for example), or B&W holders if I'm shooting colour etc. If I'm going out on a dedicated photography outing, I'm going to be carrying a bag of some sort with all of my larger gear in it, so I didn't want to replicate the same thing in a jacket, which then becomes ungainly and overly stuffed with kit, when there's a perfectly fine bag on the floor next to me for that.

With regards to the hood, when it's attached to the jacket with the integrated velcro, the zip along the bottom edge can be undone completely and the hood then drops back over your shoulders like a cape.

Thanks for the reply. I prefer to keep things separate to avoid scratching things - some of the items I carry could cause damage to other items - and to enable me to quickly access a specific item. When I'm out and about, I can carry the camera in one hand and the tripod in another, or use a backpack for both. But even with a backpack, I still carry all the items in my waistcoat.

I do actually wear the Billingham waistcoat when out normally, for the simple reason that very few jackets let me carry all the things I usually do. Most jackets have one or two inside pockets and two outside pockets and breast pocket. I strongly suspect you're not so heavily invested in tweed jackets and blazers as I am!

Apologies for what is basically off topic, although it does give you an insight into what I look for. I've yet to find an equal, far less a superior, to the Billingham (discontinued 2013, so I must be in a minority).

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I prefer to keep things separate to avoid scratching things - some of the items I carry could cause damage to other items - and to enable me to quickly access a specific item. When I'm out and about, I can carry the camera in one hand and the tripod in another, or use a backpack for both. But even with a backpack, I still carry all the items in my waistcoat.

I do actually wear the Billingham waistcoat when out normally, for the simple reason that very few jackets let me carry all the things I usually do. Most jackets have one or two inside pockets and two outside pockets and breast pocket. I strongly suspect you're not so heavily invested in tweed jackets and blazers as I am!

Apologies for what is basically off topic, although it does give you an insight into what I look for. I've yet to find an equal, far less a superior, to the Billingham (discontinued 2013, so I must be in a minority).

No need to apologise Stephen, this is exactly the kind of feedback that I find useful. You’re right about me not being so invested in tweed though, I think my jacket is aimed at a different market [emoji6]

Cheers

I like the idea behind it Steve. I actually have the Domke Vest which I bought online and before I had seen this thread , and it's way too heavy before I start filling the pockets. I have a fishing vest which weighs far less, so can I suggest keeping the weight in check and the appearance smart?

That looks like a nice jacket and I can see that it will do the job well. However, I despise Velcro - the poxy stuff grabs hold of just about everything you don't want it to and always wears prematurely. Give me a good quality zip or poppers any day.

I like the idea behind it Steve. I actually have the Domke Vest which I bought online and before I had seen this thread , and it's way too heavy before I start filling the pockets. I have a fishing vest which weighs far less, so can I suggest keeping the weight in check and the appearance smart?

Thanks Peter. Weight and appearance were two major factors in my design, so I'm glad I'm on the right track.

That looks like a nice jacket and I can see that it will do the job well. However, I despise Velcro - the poxy stuff grabs hold of just about everything you don't want it to and always wears prematurely. Give me a good quality zip or poppers any day.

Funnily enough, the jacket I've got here has the hood attached with a zip, rather than the velcro I specified. Whilst it gives a solid connection, and is arguably neater than velcro, the point of the velcro attachment is to allow me to quickly secure the hood to the jacket when using it on the camera, and then quickly remove it again to step away from the camera. Having the zip fastened, inside the rear collar, makes it more awkward to remove whilst wearing the jacket.

The hood isn't designed to be left attached to the jacket when not using it, due to the size of it.

I can understand not using a zip for the hood, but I'd rather use poppers. :)

Did I say I hate Velcro? ;)

Why not put a row of small magnets around the edge of the hood, and some small hidden washers around the collar of the jacket? Nice and quick to snap together and it has the bonus that if you move quickly for whatever reason, the hood will just detach from the jacket instead of pulling the camera over.

Thanks Carl, that's an interesting idea. It's not something I've considered before, and am not entirely sure the manufacturer would be able to accommodate it, but it's worth an ask.

Reactions: Sky
'Lockdown' has a lot to answer for! :LOL:

I don't think Steve needs lockdown as an excuse for thinking up new stuff, the mans an ideas machine:)

I don't think Steve needs lockdown as an excuse for thinking up new stuff, the mans an ideas machine:)
I was following his large format camera construction thread with interest but confess that I didn't understand much of it. :oops: :$

I think you need to get rid of those external loops from the elasticated drawcord hem. I've had fleeces with similar fittings and eventually they snag on something as you walk past it and either drag you or the object (a tripod and camera for instance!) over, and this often breaks the cord too. If it's absolutely necessary to have such a long cord then perhaps consider making an internal pocket or retaining device so the excess loop/s can be tucked securely out of the way, and mention this feature in the sales material so people know not to leave the loops out.

Last edited:
I think you need to get rid of those external loops from the elasticated drawcord hem. I've had fleeces with similar fittings and eventually they snag on something as you walk past it and either drag you or the object (a tripod and camera for instance!) over, and this often breaks the cord too. If it's absolutely necessary to have such a long cord then perhaps consider making an internal pocket or retaining device so the excess loop/s can be tucked safely out of the way, and mention this feature in the sales material so people know not to leave the loops out.

Interesting feedback, thanks. I’ll speak to the manufacturer about shortening the loops [emoji1303]

Thanks Carl, that's an interesting idea. It's not something I've considered before, and am not entirely sure the manufacturer would be able to accommodate it, but it's worth an ask.

Couldn't magnets damage any digital media/equipment? Just a thought as i'd think you'd need pretty strong magnets to hold the large hood on.

I think you need to get rid of those external loops from the elasticated drawcord hem. I've had fleeces with similar fittings and eventually they snag on something as you walk past it and either drag you or the object (a tripod and camera for instance!) over, and this often breaks the cord too. If it's absolutely necessary to have such a long cord then perhaps consider making an internal pocket or retaining device so the excess loop/s can be tucked safely out of the way, and mention this feature in the sales material so people know not to leave the loops out.

I fully agree. I own various Rohan jackets with draw cord hems. They are unobtrusive, effective and nothing like yours. Have a look at one to see what I mean.
How stretchy is the fabric? Most softshells are quite stretchy and I wonder if you carried a medium size lens in each front pocket the garment would be pulled too far down at the front.
Overall a very good idea and I wish you every success.

I think you need to get rid of those external loops from the elasticated drawcord hem. I've had fleeces with similar fittings and eventually they snag on something as you walk past it and either drag you or the object (a tripod and camera for instance!) over, and this often breaks the cord too. If it's absolutely necessary to have such a long cord then perhaps consider making an internal pocket or retaining device so the excess loop/s can be tucked securely out of the way, and mention this feature in the sales material so people know not to leave the loops out.
That's a very good point. It probably ups the cost but I've had at least one jacket in the past were the drawstring adjusters were inside the pockets of the jacket which worked really well.

And you can get velro now that pretty much only sticks to itself and not everything else. Again I suspect it's a cost issue

Interesting feedback, thanks. I’ll speak to the manufacturer about shortening the loops [emoji1303]
I speak from experience and still have a couple of damaged fleeces (now relegated to workwear!) to prove it! (the effects of which can be seen below). The pictured design of retainer doesn't seem to prevent it either. I suspect an internal clip over flap or pocket might be better? If successful at preventing the loops from snagging, then this could perhaps be used as one of the USP marketing features to offset any increase in manufacturing costs? Anyway, perhaps something to think about, hope this is useful.

EDIT: I'm not sure about putting the loops in the pockets as Chris suggested, I'd be concerned about them constantly ensnaring my car and house keys... the probability of entanglement would no doubt increase according to how quickly you needed to get your keys out too! :banghead: Perhaps inside a couple of internal pockets might work, where people are less likely to place items that would snag on the loops?

20201022_114137.jpg20201022_114246.jpg20201022_114344.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't magnets damage any digital media/equipment? Just a thought as i'd think you'd need pretty strong magnets to hold the large hood on.

The strength of magnets to secure the hood is definitely a consideration. With regards to damaging media, my cameras are already full of magnets, and no digital media, so I don’t think it would be a massive issue.

Modern digital cameras aren’t adversely affected by general magnets, so I think it would be ok.

The drawstrings on the jacket currently are a very stretchy elasticated fabric, so I don’t think they’d carry the same risk as a heavier lace style drawstring. Also, in most cases, I haven’t been pulling them in much at all (they were done to full stretch on the photos above though), so I’ll have a think about possible changes in the fabric/design.

With regards to the soft shell fabric, it’s not particularly stretchy either, so I don’t think the jacket would be pulled out of shape for most items in the pockets.

And you can get velro now that pretty much only sticks to itself and not everything else. Again I suspect it's a cost issue

Yes, the Velcro on another test jacket I have here is only ‘sticky’ with itself from the testing I’ve done. The hook side is affixed to the hood itself, leaving the softer loop side on the jacket collar, so it won’t damage any clothing worn beneath the jacket, or be scratchy on your neck.

Snip:
The drawstrings on the jacket currently are a very stretchy elasticated fabric, so I don’t think they’d carry the same risk as a heavier lace style drawstring.

Both the pictured fleeces have stretchy elastic cord... and that's what it looks like after it's tried to swing 16+ stone off an immovable object!

....for paupers to hold a black cloth o_O:)
umbrella hat.jpg

Well I could have done with something like this trying to use my Nex 3 in sunlight in the garden....just couldn't see the screen :(

With regards to the soft shell fabric, it’s not particularly stretchy either, so I don’t think the jacket would be pulled out of shape for most items in the pockets.

NO STRETCH GOALS!!!

Back