Churches-An open thread

Arts and Crafts inspired church at Brockhampton. We have a couple of Arts and Crafts inspired churches locally, and they are beauties.

View attachment 392101

I chose All Saints as the subject for a measured drawing exercise when I was studying architecture in Cardiff in the late 1980s. I'm in agreement with Pevsner: it's one of the best buildings in England and absolutely love it.

I'm going to quibble a little say that Brockhampton is a touch more than just Arts & Crafts inspired. Its architect, :) William Lethaby was one of the principal theorists of the Arts & Crafts movement, so despite being fairly late example from 1902, it springs directly from the heart of the movement.

As with much of Lethaby's work, both his buildings and his writings, it's contains elements of striking modernity. it For example, one thing that's not immediately apparent from any photos is that, underneath the thatch, the roof is a concrete shell.

A couple of photos of my own from 2019

All Saints, Brockhampton by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Last edited:
I chose All Saints as the subject for a measured drawing exercise when I was studying architecture in Cardiff in the late 1980s. I'm in agreement with Pevsner: it's one of the best buildings in England and absolutely love it.

I'm going to quibble a little say that Brockhampton is a touch more than just Arts & Crafts inspired. Its architect, :) William Lethaby was one of the principal theorists of the Arts & Crafts movement, so despite being fairly late example from 1902, it springs directly from the heart of the movement.

As with much of Lethaby's work, both his buildings and his writings, it's contains elements of striking modernity. it For example, one thing that's not immediately apparent from any photos is that, underneath the thatch, the roof is a concrete shell.

A couple of photos of my own from 2019

You would like Kempley church. I'll have to put some photos up.

You would like Kempley church. I'll have to put some photos up.

I'm familiar with it! I've not visited for years but the west window in particular is a star feature. I would be happy to see them.

As you probably know, its architect, Randall Wells, was site architect for Lethaby at Brockhampton, although it is said his actions there were instrumental in it All Saints being Lethaby's last completed building.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with it! I've not visited for years but the west window in particular is a star feature. I would be happy to see them.

As you probably know, its architect, Randall Wells, was site architect for Lethaby at Brockhampton, although it is said his actions there were instrumental in it All Saints being Lethaby's last completed building.

Ah, the Jam Tart window.

DSCF3929.jpg

Hi Jak, Think you might need to change location, as i am sure this is all saints church at Hargham nr Attleborough. My ancestors lived in a cottage (now demolished) just in front of the church.
Thanks Tony, yes it is! How did I manage that?? I have it filed under Eccles, but Hargham is close. ;)

Hi Jak, Being local it was a church i pass at least once a week along with the family connection. The old well can still be seen at the front.

Putley Church in Herefordshire.

DSCF4087.jpg

And a particularly fine altar. Although quite modern.

DSCF4090 (2).jpg

St Andrews church at Kilverstone in pano mode.
St Andrews at Kilverstone Pano.jpg
Sony RX100 Mk v1, 1/500, f5.0, ISO125

Last edited:
The Church of St.Margaret in Breckles, Norfolk.
St Margaret-Breckles-Norfolk.jpg
Taken with my Mini3Pro.

Churches as they should be:-
Church 1.jpg

Let nature do the work. The "lost" church in Somerton, Norfolk.

Last edited:
Back