Cinemascope Aspect Ratio Photo

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, can any one help please?

In Photoshop I can produce the correctly processed image to resemble Cinemascope. A 2.35:1 image in a 16:9 document. Like this:
Wells_Norfolk.jpg

I can use Photoshop to achieve the desired aspect ratio's, but I am struggling with Affinity. The black bands are a defined width by virtue of the two differing ratio's.

Can any body offer a wee bit of help please?

Last edited:

In Affinity, choose the crop tool and "unconstrained" mode, Jak!

Last edited:

In Affinity, choose the crop tool and "unconstrained" mode, Jak!
Thanks Kodiak, but I am struggling with the aspect ratio, it doesn't look 'right'.
The whole image is 16:9 (including the black border) but the photograph is 2.35:1.
I've tried many ways and can't seem to crack it.

I've tried many ways and can't seem to crack it.

I just did it with your picture in Affinity…
or do I completely misread you?

I just did it with your picture in Affinity…
or do I completely misread you?
I'm sorry Kodiak, can you step by step for me please?

I have an image. Usually in 3:2 ratio. Which I would like to put into Cinemascope format, as per my OP, but using Affinity ;)

I'm sorry Kodiak, can you step by step for me please?
  1. open the image in Affinity
  2. select the crop tool
  3. select in "mode" the "unconstrained" option
  4. drag the centre handles ( top & bottom) where you want them
  5. click APPLY or press return.
Voilà! :cool:

But, how do I know the crop is 2.35:1?
The initial image crop needs to be 2.35:1.
Then place that image into a 16:9 black background.
Sorry if I'm missing something and being a bit dim Kodiak.

I don't know Affinity but there must be somewhere that gives you the aspect ratio in pixels or another measure?

I don't know Affinity but there must be somewhere that gives you the aspect ratio in pixels or another measure?
In PS you use the Marquee Tool, in PS you can set a ratio, an aspect ratio for the tool. Similar to using a ratio for the crop tool. There is not an option in Affinity as far as I can see to set a ratio for the marquee tool.
Watch the video and it will make sense. I have produced images in that style in PS, it's just that in Affinity I am struggling with tools that do slightly different jobs ;)

The initial image crop needs to be 2.35:1. Then place that image into a 16:9 black background.

So, you want the black lines or not Jak?

Yes, as per the OP image. In PS I use my selected image and select the 2.35:1 portion I wish to use. The black lines, the bars are the background once the image is placed onto the 16:9 background.

I do hope that makes sense Kodiak ;)

An update :)

I open my image and then crop to 2.35:1. That works fine. I've saved that crop as a custom ratio.

That is now the correct aspect ratio to use in the final complete image.

I am thinking that if I can calculate the extra canvas required to fill with black to achieve 16:9, I just need to resize canvas by a percentage, fill with black and that should be my my black bars.

When I apply an amount (I just added 20cm's as an experiment) all I manage to achieve is a reclaim of my original image. It does not give me a blank increase that I can fill with black?

What am I doing wrong please?

Last edited:

I open my image and then crop to 2.35:1. That works fine. I've saved that crop as a custom ratio.

I am thinking that if I can calculate the extra canvas required to fill with black to achieve 16:9, I just need to resize canvas by a percentage, fill with black and that should be my my black bars.

When I apply an amount (I just added 20cm's as an experiment) all I manage to achieve is a reclaim of my original image. It does not give me a blank increase that I can fill with black?

Select unclip the canvas(?) on the document window. When you crop, the cropped sections are not getting deleted. If you do that, they will be.

And there are good aspect ratio calculators online to make sure you get the size of the 16:9 canvas correct too.

I've also found out that if I Rasterise the image it discards the cropped out image data thus allowing the resize to work ;)

Thank you so much indeed guys, a real help, thanks (y)

Back