Circular polarising filter

Name
I
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all I'd like to buy a circular polarising filter.... I've Googled them for prices looked on websites and the prices range drastically! It's to go on my 60d's 24-105mm lens. I don't want a rubbish one but I'm also thinking as a beginner especially to filters do I really need to be paying £114 as I've just seen for sale! Can anyone offer some advice or recommend one to me?

Many thanks.

With filters as in things photography where you are putting something on the lens IMO you need to buy the best you can afford/justify. You want the filter to perform and not degrade (much) the image.

Here http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/search.html?searchterm=Polarising filters

They list a range of price points and in general I consider B&W and Hoya pretty decent quality but even those brands tend to offer budget, better, best versions of their filters. Or as you can see go could pay for the king of filters and shell out on a Lee.

Best of luck finding your choice.

+1 for Marumi, I got the dhg super for the water/oil repellent coating but the dhg performs nearly as well in the lenstip tests and will save you about £30 in 77mm size.
Cheaper at Amazon or Fotosense too ( sorry Troutfisher!)

Thanks for everyone's reply. I like the sound of the Marumi one. Anyone used a company on a popular bidding website to buy one? Comes from a company who has a shop in London but it's considerably cheaper than others which concerns me.

Just had a quick look on the bay and there's a couple of the lower grade DHG ones in 77mm coming up at £35ish which is a fiver cheaper than fotosense.
Are these the ones you've seen??

Thanks for everyone's reply. I like the sound of the Marumi one. Anyone used a company on a popular bidding website to buy one? Comes from a company who has a shop in London but it's considerably cheaper than others which concerns me.

Did you buy from them, I assume you refer to Microglobe? I've read mixed reviews but I'm interested in a Marumi 82mm CPL filter, which is nearly half price so obviously a grey import.

It's cheaper buying through ebay so I guess you have the Paypal protection should anything go wrong.

.....It's cheaper buying through ebay so I guess you have the Paypal protection should anything go wrong.

dont assume too much...,...:eek:

I bought a Nikon fllter from eBay -- I already have 3 - the coating on the eBay item was dull and a different colour cast - ditto the lettering and font

eBay/Paypal said - you got what was listed.... proving a fake would be up to ME and NIKON QC - yeah right.

however the Seller gave a full refund to avoid my feedback

Don't forget if you elect to buy the circular Lee polariser (there's two different versions), you'll also need the filter holder and a ring to screw into which you'll need to buy separately.

Sorry to hijack but filters are new to me. I want a polariser for some landscape and seascapes but also plan on some long exposures with a 6-10 stop. Can they be used together? Would I need something like the Lee system for this as opposed to screw ins?

You can use a CPL and a big stopper together ..... Why I'm not sure but you can

The Hoya HD polarisers are pretty much the best you can get and especially given their cost.
Where most polarisers stop from between 1.5 stops of light up towards 2 stops.
You'll find the Hoya HD lets in more light, meaning they stop less ie; between 3/4 - 1.5 stops less.

The Hoya HD polarisers are pretty much the best you can get and especially given their cost.
Where most polarisers stop from between 1.5 stops of light up towards 2 stops.
You'll find the Hoya HD lets in more light, meaning they stop less ie; between 3/4 - 1.5 stops less.

Yes, there are a few of the lighter toned polarisers about that allow slightly faster shutter speeds that can be an advantage. Most polarisers are in the 1.7-1.9 stops range of density, compared to about 1.2 stops for the lighter ones. Apart from Hoya HD, the other notable example is the Marumi Exus - both also have easy-clean coatings too that are well worth having (y) Other recommendations for easy-clean jobbies are the Marumi Super DHG and Hoya Revo.

Edit: there are some fake filters about and they're not easy to tell. The best way is to get assurance that the retailer receives stock from the official importer. Hoya is Intro2020, Marumi is Kenko UK.
Or, it's easy to test the best filters with easy-clean coatings and working on the theory that no faker would go to the trouble of adding expensive processes, that should confirm authenticity. Sprinkle on a few drops of water and they will bead up and run off; with standard coatings the water forms into sploges - see here, click on tab Water Repellent Coating http://www.marumi-filter.co.jp/en/product/01/exus_lp.php

Last edited:
Back