Clarkson suspended by the BBC, TG taken off air.

Clarkson seems to enjoy being controversial and offensive. He shrugs it off with a conviction that he'll always be forgiven and that he's untouchable due to his perceived value to the Top Gear brand. It's been inevitable for a few years that he was eventually going to push a "final warning" too far and start a pi**ing contest with senior BBC executives.

I think some of that is assumption, it's difficult to judge someones enjoyment from what they say, and isn't that just stereotyping because he's said things that some don't agree with?

But putting that to one side, aren't the Clarkson's of the world a symptom of the over political correctness, and the incessant search for anything to be 'offended' about in anything anyone says?

I take your point on the assaulting thing, but have seen that used by Companies to 'remove' a problem by having someone wind up a situation until they snap and lash out. No, of course I am not saying thats whats happened to Clarkson, just it does happen, so the cut and dried suspend thing isn't always justifiable.

I'm betting for the amount of money the BBC are reported to have bought the format and brand for they have that one pretty well stitched up.

Have a look at the corporate results for Bedder 6, the shareholders include Clarkson, Andy Wilman (executive producer) and BBC Worldwide. It's where Top Gears money is paid through.

Clarkson seems to enjoy being controversial and offensive. He shrugs it off with a conviction that he'll always be forgiven and that he's untouchable due to his perceived value to the Top Gear brand. It's been inevitable for a few years that he was eventually going to push a "final warning" too far and start a pi**ing contest with senior BBC executives.

Anyone in any occupation should expect a suspension pending investigation if they're accused of throwing a punch-up in the workplace. There's no reason Clarkson should be any different.

But, the next two episodes could have gone ahead with either a substitute presenter or the other two. Unless, there's so much pre-recorded material they can't put together alternatives in time.

To a point but people also like to stir it with him. Look at how the 'Strikers should be shot' comment was taken entirely out of context. 8 complaints after the one show, 32000 after two days of media 'outrage'

Top Gear without JC would be like The Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger. He is the main component in the brand.

At this stage, without a formal investigation being made public, any indiscretion or claim of assault is alleged and nothing proven as fact.

Consequently, the right thing to do would be to temporarily suspend BOTH parties involved pending the investigation. But Auntie Beeb probably has her handbag out to clobber Jeremy Clarkson any way she can.

Reactions: BBR
2686FE5300000578-2988412-image-a-9_1426062051705.jpg

https://BANNED/EmClarkson1/status/575422615587811330

His daughters twitter:

Em Clarkson ‏@EmClarkson1

Oh God, BBC please take him back... He's started cooking...

Have a look at the corporate results for Bedder 6, the shareholders include Clarkson, Andy Wilman (executive producer) and BBC Worldwide. It's where Top Gears money is paid through.

Bit confused by your point. The BBc bought 100% of the rights a couple of years ago.

Bit confused by your point. The BBc bought 100% of the rights a couple of years ago.
Sorry you're right in 2012, just checked. Before that it was 30% Clarkson, 20% Wilman, 50% BBC

So, old top gear presenters became 5th gear

I also quite like the program for its funny banter but of late it seems there have been episodes of silly name calling that just isn't really doing him any favours. Personally I think his ego is running out of control a bit, I am not overly PC or liberal etc but why does he seem to go out of his way sometimes to offend? He should just leave it out and get on with the programs.

Never mind, there's always the re-runs on Dave (this is me assuming that the channel is immune to the current fracas) if you want your TG/JC fix.

That's like going from drinking fresh proper Coca Cola straight from the fridge to sipping flat warm left over Tesco's own brand cola after it had been left on a table for a week.

DailyMash

Clarkson suspended for act of kindness
11-03-15
clarkson_425.jpg

JEREMY Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC for helping some disabled children.

The professional antagonist was driving fast in a massive car when he passed a broken-down charity minibus.

Instead of goading them in some way, Clarkson pulled over to assist volunteer driver Stephen Malley, a former public sector worker with an earring.

Malley said: “I was taking the disabled children and their parents for a weekend away at a special centre with donkeys, but the bus broke down.

“When I saw Clarkson coming over I thought he was going to push me to the floor and mock me, but instead he correctly diagnosed a problem with the starter motor.

“He was like ‘I’ll sort it, I’ve got some tools in my boot’, then he gave me £200 to go and buy everyone ice creams while they waited.

“Then Clarkson’s passenger, who worked for the BBC, started going mental at him for going off-brand.

“He was saying ‘the short men and coppers who make up 97 per cent of your fan base will hate this’.

“Clarkson said he didn’t want to be that person any more and stormed off, a bit like that guy in the aftershave advert.”

A BBC source said: “Clarkson has been suspended for not being enough of a prick.

“He was the biggest tool in an industry that is rife with them, but he threw it all away.”

I haven't read the rest of the thread so sorry if this has already been said.

I feel as a fan of Top Gear and a licence fee payer that I am being punished for this. What happed off screen has got nothing to do with me and as the old stig said in an interview by BBC news this should've been dealt with behind closed doors. Our money as licence fee payers has gone towards the making of the show (assuming most if not all of it has already been shot) that we now won't be able to see. Its a bit like paying for a new sofa that's been made but the factory won't give it to you because one of the workers punched a supervisor. I'm off work with a bug at the moment so have plenty of time. So I'll be contacting the BBC asking for some money back.

Bring back Clarkson petition has already received 250 000 signatures (I wonder if Brash has signed it :rolleyes:).

Reinstate Clarkson' Petition Tops 250,000

An online petition calling for the BBC to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson has been signed by more than 250,000 people.

The Top Gear presenter was suspended and the show put on hold after he allegedly tried to hit one of the producers at the end of filming in Newcastle.
http://news.sky.com/story/1442567/reinstate-clarkson-petition-tops-250000

If I remember correctly 5th gear was born after BBC dropped top gear back in 2002. So to prove it was wrong then they are doing it again now

@Raptor Mike

why should his offscreen antics be separate from his onscreen life?

he is after all a TV celebrity?

he needs to grow up and behave a bit.
And why should fans off TG who have paid for it via the licence fee be punished for what he has done?? I realise that in most jobs you would get suspended for assault but they havent said that that's what he's done. All I've heard is that he swung a punch, doesn't mean he hit him.

The way I see it why can't they carry on with Ricard and James until its been sorted. If its already been shot then it still should be shown. I've paid for it,I want to see it.

Tbh its rediculous..

Last edited:
It works both ways I pay my license fee also and I would argue taking it off screen is the right thing to do while this is sorted out.
I don't really want to see people on TV that are borderline racists and act the way he does and take my money.

I haven't read the rest of the thread so sorry if this has already been said.

I feel as a fan of Top Gear and a licence fee payer that I am being punished for this. What happed off screen has got nothing to do with me and as the old stig said in an interview by BBC news this should've been dealt with behind closed doors. Our money as licence fee payers has gone towards the making of the show (assuming most if not all of it has already been shot) that we now won't be able to see. Its a bit like paying for a new sofa that's been made but the factory won't give it to you because one of the workers punched a supervisor. I'm off work with a bug at the moment so have plenty of time. So I'll be contacting the BBC asking for some money back.
That seems reasonable. How much money would you like?

Considering the BBC spends approximately 20% of it's annual £2.35 billion budget on BBC2, one hour out of the week's schedule would mean you should have approx 0.03p returned to you. :cool:

Top Gear being taken off air being defined as "punishment" is what's making me chuckle the most. :LOL:

I really don't think he gives a flying one about this tbh..... if he sold his share of the rights for £13M then there shouldn't be any financial worries, especially as he's probably still getting royalties from the re-runs on Dave.

The "story" is he threw a punch, the punch didn't connect so there's be no assualt.

As good as May & Hammond are, it's the three of them that works and given the solidarity shown when Hammond bent the dragster I think it's all for one and one for all.

Yes he's a wind up merchant, yes he's antogonistic and politically incorrect although on the last point that's mainly due to how OTT PC has got.

Whether he's re-instated and TG continues or not, I don't think it'll be that long before he's back on our screens..

Clarkson is like Frankenstein's monster. The BBC, by employing the then unknown J.Clarkson in 1988 created his career. He now seems to think he is better than the BBC and public opinion surrounding the case seems to have polarised opinions, Clarkson good, BBC bad.

Jonathan Ross and Adrian Chiles' careers haven't fared to well post BBC and I'm not sure Clarkson's would either.

Clarkson is like Frankenstein's monster. The BBC, by employing the then unknown J.Clarkson in 1988 created his career. He now seems to think he is better than the BBC and public opinion surrounding the case seems to have polarised opinions, Clarkson good, BBC bad.

Jonathan Ross and Adrian Chiles' careers haven't fared to well post BBC and I'm not sure Clarkson's would either.

Wossy seems to still be doing OK for himself and let's face it, Chiles was not particularly popular :LOL:

It seems their contracts are due for renegotiation in April. :)

Jonathan Ross - 3m viewers for his chat show, and a £1.5m salary isn't doing well?

Jonathan Ross - 3m viewers for his chat show, and a £1.5m salary isn't doing well?

Plus slowly being re-integrated back onto BBc Radio 2 :)

it feels like a non story publicity stunt to me - a bit like the slope on a bridge - when suspend him take TG off for a bit, lots of publicity, reinstate him and it et voila increased viewing figures ... yawn

Their contracts were due to be signed imminently. It's just a publicity stunt.

He reportedly received £6m a year under his last BBC contract which he claimed was 'less than his market value'.
When you think about it that is a mind boggling amount of money to sit at a desk once a week interviewing celebs. Even if it did include his radio show that's still one hell a lot of money. Not that I'm jealous or anything lol

Back