CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Hi, an OPEL Commodore Coupe - from the 70s, when OPEL was a great company ... :

D80_7537-n70c.jpg

Presumably the continental version of the Vauxhall Firenza/Viva HC?

Presumably the continental version of the Vauxhall Firenza/Viva HC?

Hi, I know just the OPEL versions. At the time, they were seen as sporty, and good value for money (Viel Auto fürs Geld ...) ...

Thanks for that. Looks a fair bit bigger than the Viva/Firenza in that shot.

Thanks for that. Looks a fair bit bigger than the Viva/Firenza in that shot.
Had an Opel Kapitan in the 60s it was the predecessor to the Commodore. They were bigger than the largest UK Vauxhalls.....Wyvern/Cresta? I think the Cresta was nearly as big as the German Opels.

Last edited:
Had an Opel Kapitan in the 60s it was the predecessor to the Commodore. They were bigger than the largest UK Vauxhalls.....Wyvern/Cresta? I think the Cresta was nearly as big as the German Opels.

Hi, it came before the Commodore (and MONZA), but was upper class, like the Admiral and Diplomat later. OPEL lost its upper class market share over the years, unfortunately.

A former colleague used to work for OPEL, and had stories to tell how GM down-managed OPEL ...

I live near Rüsselsheim, where the OPEL plant is. A neighbour experienced (and survived) the recent reorgs and take-overs ... ---

D80_2246-n70c-tp.jpg

GM also did the same with SAAB ......but at least OPEL (and others) were big enough to survive! ;)
To be fair SAAB was in Chinese hands went it finally closed!

Last edited:
My car well out of its comfort zone. I have a set of winter wheels and tyres but haven't put them on yet... if we get any more forecast I will be doing for sure.

M3 out of comfort zone! by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

Untitled by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

Luckily we don't get that sort of cover down here that often (and I only have 275 BHP to control on it if we do!) Also, being retired means that I very rarely NEED to go out in the snow.

FWIW, a bonnet covered in snow like that could earn you a pull.

Much prefer the Bentley version - pretty much identical under the skin but the Bentley is better looking. IMO!

Much prefer the Bentley version - pretty much identical under the skin but the Bentley is better looking. IMO!

Hi, the RR has a special body, which looks a little wide-eyed to me. - But people may have found it attractive, in the past ... :

D80_2250-n70.jpg

Hi, der Große 600 ... :

View attachment 310281
As a 19year old in the early 60s myself and two friends decided to buy a very cheap 600 just for the fun of owning one. After about 6 months and a few problems we virtually gave it away as paying to fix it was far higher than all 3 of us earned in a year!
The dreams of youth!
Many apologies for my error......the car we purchased was a rounded not square body shape and was a 300 model which I believe preceded the 600.
Sorry my memories always have to be checked these days! :mad:

Last edited:
As a 19year old in the early 60s myself and two friends decided to buy a very cheap 600 just for the fun of owning one. After about 6 months and a few problems we virtually gave it away as paying to fix it was far higher than all 3 of us earned in a year!
The dreams of youth!
Many apologies for my error......the car we purchased was a rounded not square body shape and was a 300 model which I believe preceded the 600.
Sorry my memories always have to be checked these days! :mad:

Nothing to worry about. - Your posting brought back memories from the 60s. At this time, a 300 Mercedes was around 1000 DM, because it was seen as an old pre-war car.

A friend, who worked as an apprentice then (250 DM/month) bought one. And when the starter failed, he did not have the money to have it repaired.

So, you were not alone ... --- :)

D80_7510-n70c.jpg

Hi, @EJB, a few 300 pics, we talked about :

L1009232-L35c-c.jpg

L1009254-L35c-c.jpg

Here is one in action. It was a car typically used by German government ministers. Chancellor Adenauer used it, too. And so it got the nickname Adenauer later ... --- :

DSC07105-a7r2-s55c-tp.jpg

(I was invited by the VMC (Mercedes Veteranen Club) to take these pictures. These cars are extremely expensive to own, and maintain ... )

Ours was Black, unlike our bank balances which were very RED!

Blondes should drive DHC/roadsters rather than 2+2s!!!

Blondes should drive DHC/roadsters rather than 2+2s!!!

Hi, the Heidelberg Historic will be held again this year. I shall tell the ladies what you said (if possible ( ;) )).

The year before ... :

D80_7335-n70c.jpg

Back