CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

The elder uncle of the Bavarian 4x4!

Looks quite well used for such a rare car.

One of the things my illness in 2012 mad me miss out on was the introduction of the F-Type Jag (just behind the Artega). I had to surrender my driving license and the DVLA medical department are notoriously bad at dealing with people - my GP and surgeon were both happy that I was fit to drive and was on no medication that would affect my driving but the DVLA's computer said "no". By the time I had my license back, the invitations to take one out for an extended drive were well out of date. Personally, I much prefer the look of the X100 (early) XK8, although the F-Type is probably a much better car.

I remember the almost V growl that the early 5 pots made.

I think that modern silencers and catalytic converters have muted the growl a bit (well, a BIG bit!). The early 100s and other models that used the 5 cylinder sounded better than a TT.

A Mini Moke in Exeter's South Street, summer 1995...

Mini Moke Canon Eos 1995 29-23.jpg

Back when you were allowed to drive up South Street!

Buongiorno! From the days, when FIAT tried to offer high end cars ... :

D80_2324-n70c.jpg

Hi, the ISO ... :

L1002852_DxO-L50c-2-c.jpg

L1002851_DxO-L50c-4-c.jpg

L1002853_DxO-L50c-4c.jpg

Later produced by BMW, too, called ISETTA, for many BMW motorcycle riders their first car ... :

L1002850_DxO-L50c-4.jpg

You call that an off roader? This is an off roader.. :naughty: :coat:

Fred Saunders on Stalwart Eos 1995 28-30.jpg

I know which I'd rather park (responsibly!!!)

Astonishingly, in Austria they let people drive these things on the roads as well...

Segway riders in Seefeld G2 P1180017.JPG

Last edited:
Hi, only if there is no separate path for bicycles. With poor brakes, riders or rather "standers" are in great danger ... ---
In the UK, they're completely illegal on road or pavement, as are those wierd "hoverboards" and powered scooters. The UK government considered legalising powered scooter use on the roads in 2020 but then abandoned the idea in favour of limited trials around the country.

Last edited:
In the UK, they're completely illegal on road or pavement, as are those wierd "hoverboards" and powered scooters. The UK government considered legalising powered scooter use on the roads in 2020 but then abandoned the idea in favour of limited trials around the country.
The trials are now well underway and seemingly with very few hire and travel restrictions...only a driving license required. :oops: :$

Last edited:
The trials are now well underway and seemingly with very few hire and travel restrictions...only a driving license required. :oops: :$

Well, at least a driving license is required ... --- Here in Germany, our present (lame duck) government wants to look "green" and progressive, having failed in other areas miserably ... ---

Reactions: EJB

The trials are in a few cities. Those bloody scooters are everywhere. Too slow for roads and too fast for pavements as well as being too unstable for almost anywhere!

The trials are in a few cities. Those bloody scooters are everywhere. Too slow for roads and too fast for pavements as well as being too unstable for almost anywhere!

One feels unsafe in cities now. - People I know left Lisbon after 2 days because of the scooters and left for the countryside ... ---

Friends of ours love the sights of Barcelona but feel so unsafe there just sitting in a café that they'll never go back. Nothing to do with scooters, just the "atmosfear".

Friends of ours love the sights of Barcelona but feel so unsafe there just sitting in a café that they'll never go back. Nothing to do with scooters, just the "atmosfear".

Can be ... We used to go to the Ile de Re in France. But there were cyclists everywhere, even where they were not allowed.

So, we do not go there anymore ...

In Chania, motor vehicles of any kind are banned from the road around the outer harbour in the old city. A couple of years ago, we watched the police enforcing this rule for about 1/2 hour before they got bored and got on their motorbikes and rode off around the same road... VERY much one set of rules for the public and a different set for the police!!!

Back