CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Do you have any more shots of this Bentley? Possibly even the information board. It looks a bit like a sort of hot-rod built with a vintage style body on a later chassis

Hi, here you are ... :

DSC01329-a7r2-4-c.jpg

DSC01330-a7r2-4-c.jpg

DSC01334-a7r2-4-s21.jpg

This is all I have. The dashboard and the steering wheel with its different switches look original. I have not seen this car before, and not in Schwetzingen.

But it may be a new import.

Thanks for those shots, Immo. The first one shows the independent front suspension which I thought I could make out in the original shot. It's probably a much easier car to drive that a "real" one - the clutches and gearboxes can be difficult to master - they were after all based on full blooded racing cars! I have seen a similar car and the switches on the wheel (originally advance/retard etc.) had been repurposed to indicators etc..

There were a few of them up at the hillclimb today. Will post a few once they've been shrunk for forum digestion!

Thanks for those shots, Immo. The first one shows the independent front suspension which I thought I could make out in the original shot. It's probably a much easier car to drive that a "real" one - the clutches and gearboxes can be difficult to master - they were after all based on full blooded racing cars! I have seen a similar car and the switches on the wheel (originally advance/retard etc.) had been repurposed to indicators etc..

As it happens, there were a pair of Mk VI Bentleys parked side by side in the car park at the hillclimb on Sunday. One in it's original body and the other a hotrodded one. Chatting to the owner of the hotrodded one, he confirmed that it was a LOT easier to drive than the older types (he used to have a 3 Litre).

NOD00048.jpg

A very pretty Triumph Dolomite, also in that car park!

NOD00018.jpg

Hi, I was and am not sure how authentic the BENTLEY shown by me is. - I have never seen it before at a high-end event like Schwetzingen, and it has not got an H plate
(which could mean - however - that it has not been officially registered after import).

We shall see ...

Is the red registration plate not a dealer/temporary one? It might also be a relatively recent conversion so might not qualify as a true "historic" car. I have a shot of the front suspension of "my" one and it looks the same as "yours" so I'm reasonably sure it's a Bentley Mk VI. NOD00011.jpg

Is the red registration plate not a dealer/temporary one? It might also be a relatively recent conversion so might not qualify as a true "historic" car. I have a shot of the front suspension of "my" one and it looks the same as "yours" so I'm reasonably sure it's a Bentley Mk VI. View attachment 390253

Hi, the red plate can be used temporarily for an unregistered car, or for an officially registered car with an H plate, which has not been registered and insured for road use.

Many enthusiast cars are just registered for 6 months here.

The front axle shot of "mine" shows mostly green paint, which may cover a lot. The "plumbing" on "yours" looks more authentic to me ... ---

Oddly, I think the front axle on "yours" is possibly more authentic than that on mine - I reckon the plumbing is to make lubricating the assorted moving parts easier by linking all the greasing points to one grease nipple. On yours, it looks like there are separate nipples for each lube point.

Oddly, I think the front axle on "yours" is possibly more authentic than that on mine - I reckon the plumbing is to make lubricating the assorted moving parts easier by linking all the greasing points to one grease nipple. On yours, it looks like there are separate nipples for each lube point.

Hi, I am not sure. --- The 100% crop ... :

DSC01329-a7r2-4-cc.jpg

Definitely grease nipples on yours where mine has pipe fittings.

Back