CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

A friend of Dad's had a small inheritance to invest in the early '60s so was buying useless old racing cars. You know, C Types, D Types, Healeys and the like...

Used to be quite a few of those on Crete but as they became less and less, they became fewer and fewer!

Well, the design and engineering of Italian cars was always good, their quality less so ... ---

At least the French made their version out of plastic (the Citroen Mehari's body is ABS rather than fibreglass or metal), although the thin tube they made the underframe from was less robust!

At least the French made their version out of plastic (the Citroen Mehari's body is ABS rather than fibreglass or metal), although the thin tube they made the underframe from was less robust!

Hi, I do not know how much work the owners put in to keep them going ... :

L1011598_DxO-L35s-c.jpg

L1011607_DxO-L35s-c.jpg

When Dad an I rebuilt his, we had to completely replace the subframe that supports the body then use fibreglass to reinforce the body where the lack of support had caused it to crack! Did improve my welding skills no end (the subframe, not the body!!!) The engine was OK but we did have it apart to check everything - an easy job to lift it out through the front.
IIRC, there was a 4WD version which used 2 engines/gearboxes, developed for the French army.

Series III Lightweight Land Rover, Olympus Trip, Ilford FP4 plus 125
I've always liked the idea of the Lightweight but in my Landrover days, I needed the carrying capacity of my Series II LWB.

Last edited:
I’ve had a soft spot for the Lightweight ever since I drove one for six months whilst posted to Cyprus in the 80’s, LR’s idea of a utility sports car

Name the cars?!

GoodwoodBCJune2023Edit-18.jpg

(One of the cars is mine, the image was taken by an official Goodwood photographer).

I can manage 5 or 6 of the group but the 100/6 is easier!

Back