Classifieds - very quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This person joined up, told everyone he was just here for the classifieds, got some grief, threw his toys out in a tantrum and stormed off

Ignored a fair few people including my good self no doubt and is now playing the poor old me card whilst continuing to question the rules

Guessing he has been spoilt and not used to being told no or you will have to wait.

Last edited:
Funny when some new members say, "I am new and I can't think of anything to say, or contribute" . Really? More than likely can't be bothered. As anyone at any level can find a section to contribute in. If they really can't, then what is the point of joining a forum? ;).

Like I'd mentioned, my prime reason for coming to check out this site was purely because I had a need that I wanted meeting - I needed to get some camera gear. That was my primary reason. I then posted 25 messages in quick succession, whereby I felt they had no real substance, more like, 'hey, nice photo' rather than anything that felt I could really contribute on.

I don't alway feel the need to make a comment - I've just been searching others posts for ND filters and reading through a load of old post - this happened to be one of them, and again the title motivated me to check it out, even though it was 6 months old. I only posted because someone else did just before me to revive it I suppose.

I know that down the line I'll be asking questions if I can't find other threads about what I'm looking for.

Because I still don't really know how the classified section works yet it's hard to comment fully, but, I see it like this - if, in the future, I need some bit of kit or want to swap my gear out, then when I've made that decision I might not be able to get into the classified section - which means I'd have to look elsewhere. On the other hand, if i keep my involvement up so that the classified always remains open, then all I'm going to end up doing is going, 'oooo, someone's selling xxxx, maybe I NEED that' so I end up buying stuff I don't need.

Dilema!

I don't know how hard it is to understand it's a perk for members not a right.

See, this statement is new one to me. I've been on the internet since it was all grey backgrounds, black text & blue/purple hyperlinks and a photo would download a line at a time - and I've never been to a forum yet that acts like the classified section is a 'perk' of membership on a public forum. Private, maybe, but not an open forum.

Clearly, it's a first for me!

Here we go again, upping the post count with bugger all to say apart from questioning the rules which if I'm not mistaken you agree to on signing up.

Sorry, but he/she has really p***ed me off having such a s***ty attitude, the world doesn't revolve around what you want.

Where is the dilemma, abide by the rules or go, preferably the latter

Last edited:
I then posted 25 messages in quick succession, whereby I felt they had no real substance
No need for this, you've got 60 days to serve in any case. Plenty of time to make a small number of considered contributions.

If you perhaps could just stop digging, every post sounds now like an an (unnecessary) attempt at justification but only makes things sound even worse.

See, this statement is new one to me. I've been on the internet since it was all grey backgrounds, black text & blue/purple hyperlinks and a photo would download a line at a time - and I've never been to a forum yet that acts like the classified section is a 'perk' of membership on a public forum. Private, maybe, but not an open forum.

Clearly, it's a first for me!

I belong to a number of watch forums and that is precisely what the situation is i.e. a minimum post count before you are allowed to access the classifieds. And that rule has been put in place for exactly the same reason as TP's - to prevent profiteering and fly by nights.The mods of these forums that I speak of do keep a wary eye on new members to ensure that they are not speed posting in order to access the classifieds. And yes I have seen new members post counts reduced to prevent that access. Personally I do not have a problem with any of these rules. The rules are made by the admin/mods of each forum and I agree to abide by them when I sign up to participate in that forum.

If you think that the 25 post/60 day rule is, shall I say, a tad harsh, then I can point you in the direction of a particular watch forum where the minimum requirement is harsher than that.
I have only recently joined this forum and whilst my post count is now in excess of 25, I still have to wait for the time limitation to expire because that is the rule of this forum.
And I have more than enough patience inside me to wait for that to expire.

David

Here we go again, upping the post count with bugger all to say apart from questioning the rules which if I'm not mistaken you agree to on signing up.

Sorry, but he/she has really p***ed me off having such a s***ty attitude, the world doesn't revolve around what you want.

Where is the dilemma, abide by the rules or go, preferably the latter

:agree: Totally agree. Read the rules and relax.
If you're so desperate for gear then Fleabay is the place.
I like the idea of some breathing space so that folk can be hopefully confident that what they buy is firstly genuine and as advertised, instead of having to complain and then moan because its ended in the disputed section...! Which as already been written down is very quiet at the moment, and long may that continue.
Welcome to TP (y)

If you think that the 25 post/60 day rule is, shall I say, a tad harsh, then I can point you in the direction of a particular watch forum where the minimum requirement is harsher than that.

At one time the requirement here was 100 posts and 30 days - it got changed to 25/60 because people kept crying about 100 being unreasonable (and or spam posting for access)

The point angelboy is missing is that you arent supposed to say "nice shot" 25 times , you are supposed to spend your 60 days actually engaging with the forum , by which point you'll have way more than 25 posts... people who can't be arsed to do that don't get access (and people who try to spam post instead tend to lose their access for good)

Am amazed at the polarised view on this. Just because some people have different perceptions about what they want from a forum, it should not be my way or the highway. Some of the rudeness here from what is meant to be a friendly inclusive forum is quite saddening.

Like I'd mentioned, my prime reason for coming to check out this site was purely because I had a need that I wanted meeting - I needed to get some camera gear. That was my primary reason. I then posted 25 messages in quick succession, whereby I felt they had no real substance, more like, 'hey, nice photo' rather than anything that felt I could really contribute on.

I don't alway feel the need to make a comment - I've just been searching others posts for ND filters and reading through a load of old post - this happened to be one of them, and again the title motivated me to check it out, even though it was 6 months old. I only posted because someone else did just before me to revive it I suppose.

I know that down the line I'll be asking questions if I can't find other threads about what I'm looking for.

Because I still don't really know how the classified section works yet it's hard to comment fully, but, I see it like this - if, in the future, I need some bit of kit or want to swap my gear out, then when I've made that decision I might not be able to get into the classified section - which means I'd have to look elsewhere. On the other hand, if i keep my involvement up so that the classified always remains open, then all I'm going to end up doing is going, 'oooo, someone's selling xxxx, maybe I NEED that' so I end up buying stuff I don't need.

Dilema!

Just had a look in the Classifieds for you, and there are NO amazing bargains in there. The stuff is at pretty much the going rate, so if you are in a rush, may be better off going to a dedicated buying site. But with dedicated buying sites, you have NO idea who you are buying from. On the other hand, buying from here, has the benefit of getting a feel of who you may be buying from, by means of chatting to the members inside various sections of the forum. Take a deep breath, and read through the sections of the forum, that interest you. You will soon get the feel for the flow of the forum, and you will be wanting to ask your own questions.

You may even come upon some posts, when you may be able to help out a fellow member, as you may know the answer to the question that has been asked. Anyway, hope you do persevere and stick around :).

Last edited:
Am amazed at the polarised view on this. Just because some people have different perceptions about what they want from a forum, it should not be my way or the highway. Some of the rudeness here from what is meant to be a friendly inclusive forum is quite saddening.

And on that note...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back