Classifieds - very quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always loads of fuji xt1s being sold, is it crap? I was under the impression is was a great system but seems the majority of stuff up for sale is Fuji??

Last edited:
There's always loads of fuji xt1s being sold, is it crap? I was under the impression is was a great system but seems the majority of stuff up for sale is Fuji??

I think you'll find they are being sold by people upgrading to the X-T2, so definitely not crap! (y)

I'm new here and honestly think the rules are a bit harsh - I've been getting lots of really good advice on here and as a result I've bought a new tripod, lens and filters (and I've sold one lens). I would have loved to look through the classifieds here but haven't been able to because of the two month rule, despite being a regular poster.

My tuppence worth for what it's worth. :)

I'm new here and honestly think the rules are a bit harsh - I've been getting lots of really good advice on here and as a result I've bought a new tripod, lens and filters (and I've sold one lens). I would have loved to look through the classifieds here but haven't been able to because of the two month rule, despite being a regular poster.

Hi

I am not a 'mod', just a member.

If you look back at the classifieds discussion threads you will find all the info you need to explain why the rules that you see as 'harsh' is there for good reason. In simple terms, the classified is an 'add-on' to a much wider forum not the 'raison d'etre'.

Those rules protect your interests in both buying and selling. There is no other real protection and you trade, esse Tilly at your own risk.

I have bought from other members and have done so without any problems. That has not been the case from purchases from EBay though I had the protection that service offers.

Enjoy and participate in the wider areas that TP offers and you will son have access. Easy to follow and a great forum, as you are finding, to enjoy and learn from.

Steve

I think you'll find they are being sold by people upgrading to the X-T2, so definitely not crap! (y)
Lol that was meant tongue in cheek, I just wonder what the XT 2 is going to do for most of them the xt1 can't??
For a lot more ££

The rules are not harsh.
Classifieds are a perk for contributing members. Once you have shown that you are contributing you will he given the perk.
Of course if you have only joined to buy/sell gear then you may be in for a big disappointment.

The rules are not harsh.
Classifieds are a perk for contributing members. Once you have shown that you are contributing you will he given the perk.
Of course if you have only joined to buy/sell gear then you may be in for a big disappointment.
It's not harsh it's a forum not ebay

Lol that was meant tongue in cheek, I just wonder what the XT 2 is going to do for most of them the xt1 can't??
For a lot more ££

I've had a play with an X-T2 and it definitely is faster to focus than the X-T1, and that was one of the original criticisms of the Fuji by those who shoot motorsport, birds or other fast moving subjects. I'm not tempted to upgrade at that price, especially if they are going to upgrade the cameras every 2 years.

That's the thing really you have to way up if it's really worth the extra money, different needs for different folks, I suppose but I used to crave for the latest and greatest but do you really really Need it?
If you were really into speed wouldn't you already have a dslr?

Last edited:

You're not missing much at the moment, but only another month to wait which is nothing in photgraphic terms.

Last edited:
You're not missing much at the moment, but only another month to wait which is nothing in photgraphic terms.

Thanks for being a bit gentle Stu - I didn't mean to offend, as I said, it was just my tuppence worth and my genuine opinion as a newbie. I really thought that it would have made sense if you can buy from the forum within the designated time frame, but not sell.

I know someone responded with 'its not Ebay', but in that case, why have it at all? It's there to be used so why restrict who can buy from it?

Just my opinion.

Thanks for being a bit gentle Stu - I didn't mean to offend, as I said, it was just my tuppence worth and my genuine opinion as a newbie. I really thought that it would have made sense if you can buy from the forum within the designated time frame, but not sell.

I know someone responded with 'its not Ebay', but in that case, why have it at all? It's there to be used so why restrict who can buy from it?

Just my opinion.
It's done like that so people don't join and use it like eBay, if people didn't have to wait you'd be more likely to get people joining just to use as a buying/selling tool.

It's there to be used so why restrict who can buy from it?
Because it attracted the wrong people, those just out to exploit members for a cheap deal - whether that was to trade at a profit or just to turn up, buy stuff and leave without participating in the community.

The Disputed Trades section also seems to have been a lot quieter since the restrictions were tightened up. That can only be a good thing.

Just my opinion.
Previously, people could just join and buy a few bargains then be off again. I have seen people recommend this forum on Twitter etc as a way to get cheap kit, and not actually for contributing to the forum.

These rules at least stop that.

Previously, people could just join and buy a few bargains then be off again. I have seen people recommend this forum on Twitter etc as a way to get cheap kit, and not actually for contributing to the forum.

These rules at least stop that.

Completely understand Stu, it's just a shame. Two months is a long time to a new photographer who does contribute regularly who needs to buy new kit. I would rather have bought it off you guys here than ebay et al.

Completely understand Stu, it's just a shame. Two months is a long time to a new photographer who does contribute regularly who needs to buy new kit. I would rather have bought it off you guys here than ebay et al.

Fair enough Justine. I belong to a few forums that restrict new members participation in some areas until they've served their 'probation', so it's not unusual, but I understand your frustration.

You're always welcome to get in touch with the mods and make suggestions, but the reasons for the restriction have been discussed in the past and I doubt if it'll be lifted at this point. Just hang in there :)

But when you do buy something it will be in a relatively safe environment, because the rules help weed out most scammers and traders. You just need to compare the 'Disputed trades' section of TP to some other well known site that has a large classifieds. I appreciate they have a larger throughput, but Im happy knowing that if I buy something off TP its from a, usually long standing member, and it will arrive in pretty much the condition they described it.

Last edited:
But when you do buy something it will be in a relatively safe environment, because the rules help weed out most scammers and traders. You just need to compare the 'Disputed trades' section of TP to some other well known site that has a large classifieds. I appreciate they have a larger throughput, but Im happy knowing that if I buy something off TP its from a, usually long standing member, and it will arrive in pretty much the condition they described it.

Good to know :)

I'm a sporadic cyclical member of the forum. Keen photographer. And I like reading about and buying new kit. I think that is part of the hobby for many photographers, especially on dark autumn and winter nights. I do like the classifieds, and TP was one of my favourite fora for that reason. I'm also an IT professional, and think a sales forum, while it may not be the main reason for a site, can help in the stickiness of the site and keep members coming back. I like reading as well. So while I might read lots of threads to research opinion, or enjoy the banter, I don't always feel the need to add something unless I feel I've got something to add (like this opinion :) ). The sales forum being less active I'm sure has benefits. It also has drawbacks - there are lots of sites like say dpreview that you can talk about gear and the hobby, but sales and wants acts as a differentiator. And a draw - we all like a bargain, and I much preferred buying and selling gear on here. But the reduced numbers and demand as a result mean it's not as attractive an option to sell now as it was, given better dealer offers. It's a balancing act I guess, but this used to be one of the best places I'd found to buy and sell Canon gear and has kept me coming back. Does it matter? Depends on perspective I guess and I respect the site owners choice to decide.

Last edited:
It's there to be used so why restrict who can buy from it?

Just my opinion.

because if you don't you'd get drive by people picking up bargains and then flipping them on ebay / buying cheap on ebay to flip here - in your case you're in no danger of falling foul of the new classifieds restriction (the ratio) but are experiencing one time exclusion from the 25 and 60 rule ... it used to be 100 and 30 but people complained about 100 posts being too many (Mods can't win)

to be honest spending two months learning about gear before buying anything isnt a bad idea anyway - remember the adage about acting in haste ,repenting at leisure

because if you don't you'd get drive by people picking up bargains and then flipping them on ebay / buying cheap on ebay to flip here - in your case you're in no danger of falling foul of the new classifieds restriction (the ratio) but are experiencing one time exclusion from the 25 and 60 rule ... it used to be 100 and 30 but people complained about 100 posts being too many (Mods can't win)

to be honest spending two months learning about gear before buying anything isnt a bad idea anyway - remember the adage about acting in haste ,repenting at leisure

Yes- I'm beginning to understand- I hadn't realised that this was happening, I'm quite innocent minded.

I joined not so long ago while looking for a particular lens and was trying to cast my net as wide as possible. While I was waiting to reach the access threshold I did join in and contribute and TP is now the main forum I use.
The rules do seem to work though even if it means less traffic in the classifieds section. So while I did manage to pick up the lens I wanted for a bargain price, when I came to sell some kit, I got practically no interest and ended up selling elsewhere.
Obviously I continue to checkout the classifieds for bargains, but I'm happy coming here for the discussions in the main forum.

Not everyone is upgrading. I put mine on due to lack of use, it hasnt been used in over 6 months.

Its worth noting that less traffic means both fewer sellers and fewer buyers so its not necessarily a bad thing... say you're tying to sell a lens , yes you have a smaller pool of potential buyers , but you also have fewer competing sellers , likewise if you are looking to buy you might have fewer options to choose from but you also have less competition for a bargain.

which in total means the classifieds returning to their intended purpose , genuine members of the community occasionally selling to each other , rather than the mad hurly burly of say ebay , or amazon market place (both of which are options for those who either don't qualify for classifieds access , or who do but can't find what they want or can't find a buyer for their wares)

Seen a couple of X-T2's on there this week, only been out for a short while so they must be really crap.

Lol maybe they'd realised it takes pictures like so many other cameras and don't look any different but cost a dam site more[emoji16]

I've just done a deal for a canon 70d from eBay. Got sick of waiting to get into the classified section and as a noob then I have little to offer jet he forums other than, ooo, nice picture' or 'hey great photo'. Totally fake posts to try and get my count up.

Bit of a waste if you ask me and as I made my opinions clear in another thread I've now chosen to ingnore about 5 or 6 members that started ganging up in me, so even when I finally get access to the classified section then I won't be able to trade with a good few people, plus I'll have already sourced most of the kit that I'll be using for a while.

My first impressions of this forums have been quite a negative one and especially as people are trying to make out that it's a 'community' then I'm pretty unimpressed.

Seems you don't like new people.....

I've just done a deal for a canon 70d from eBay. Got sick of waiting to get into the classified section......

TBH you could have done that to begin with. (& avoided the silliness & a longer wait)

My first impressions of this forums have been quite a negative one and especially as people are trying to make out that it's a 'community' then I'm pretty unimpressed.

New posters are more than welcome & most posters on here are very helpful.
(It's the `attitude` that isn't liked, which I think even you must realise)

Anyroad, glad you've now got some kit & able to get on with your photography. (y)

Looking forward to seeing some of your images. :cool:

I've just done a deal for a canon 70d from eBay. Got sick of waiting to get into the classified section and as a noob then I have little to offer jet he forums other than, ooo, nice picture' or 'hey great photo'. Totally fake posts to try and get my count up.

Bit of a waste if you ask me and as I made my opinions clear in another thread I've now chosen to ingnore about 5 or 6 members that started ganging up in me, so even when I finally get access to the classified section then I won't be able to trade with a good few people, plus I'll have already sourced most of the kit that I'll be using for a while.

The reaction you got may have come from the fact that you baldly stated "I am only here for the classifieds" - we love new people who are here for the forum regardless of their level of skill, we just aren't so keen on freeloaders with no interest beyond a cheaper version of ebay.

Also people who are here 'just for the classifieds' often find that they never actually get access

I was only here for the classifieds originally too, and had no idea why that was anathema to some - some were astonished that I'd have the brass neck to come right out with it, as though buying used cameras were a priviledge.

In retrospect I understand that there have been times when kit was sold here 'cheap' and then quickly flogged on ebay at a profit, so that instead of someone doing a fellow photographer a favour, they were actually giving their potential profit to a trader. There's no easy way to tell who is a trader and who isn't, hence the unfriendliness and attitude you've seen. Sucks, but that's how it is. You'll also find that every hobby draws certain kinds of people, and after a while you get used to the way things are here. Some guys are incredibly kind & helpful, some are blunt well past the point of rudeness but with the best intentions, while some are just rude. Don't let it bother you.

TBH you could have done that to begin with. (& avoided the silliness & a longer wait)

New posters are more than welcome & most posters on here are very helpful.
(It's the `attitude` that isn't liked, which I think even you must realise)

Anyroad, glad you've now got some kit & able to get on with your photography. (y)

Looking forward to seeing some of your images. :cool:

I've been trying to view multiple sources, this was one of them.

To be fair, I didn't have attitude and only defended myself when other members started to attack me.

Anyhow, just looking for a lens or two, which I might wait untill the Boxing Day/January sales then I might be close to ready.

I was only here for the classifieds originally too, and had no idea why that was anathema to some - some were astonished that I'd have the brass neck to come right out with it, as though buying used cameras were a priviledge.

In retrospect I understand that there have been times when kit was sold here 'cheap' and then quickly flogged on ebay at a profit, so that instead of someone doing a fellow photographer a favour, they were actually giving their potential profit to a trader. There's no easy way to tell who is a trader and who isn't, hence the unfriendliness and attitude you've seen. Sucks, but that's how it is. You'll also find that every hobby draws certain kinds of people, and after a while you get used to the way things are here. Some guys are incredibly kind & helpful, some are blunt well past the point of rudeness but with the best intentions, while some are just rude. Don't let it bother you.

Thanks for your post. I do understand that people want to protect themselves for people making a fast buck, but I also think that buying and selling is a two-way street. If you agree to sell something for a price then that's it. What I do with it should really be up to me. If people were selling cheap and others flipping the items quickly on eBay, then what precaution did the sellers make against who they were selling to? I doubt long standing members would be likely to flip gear like that so they must have sold to new members. That being the case then why sell cheap in the first place? If it was to offer some form of help to forum members then why not only trade with known members?

To me, being excluded from the classified is almost implying that as a new member I'm up to no good and can't be trusted. So to be trusted I have to contribute to the forum, which is pretty hard when you have limited experience. But then waiting for 2 months just seems like forever when you're looking for gear to get you going. In the age of the Internet we all expect things move at a bit of a pace and 2 months is looooooooong. You then are forced to buy elsewhere and when you do then that's a potential buyer that a member has lost bacuse they're not introduced to each other.

I'm sure there are some long standing reasons for it, but I think there could be other ways that don't isolate new members, when new members need all the help they can get.

Maybe in time I'll learn as well.

I remember when I joined back in early 2012, I could not wait to get access to the Classifieds. I thought the Classifieds would be crammed full of pages and pages, of very low cost equipment. The price of the equipment in the Classifieds, is pretty much the same anywhere. People do internet searches, and even ask on here, what the going rate for used equipment is. I was a bit disappointed, when there were no very low cost bargains to be had. To get a low cost item, someone has to lose a lot of money, and sell their stuff too cheap. But we all want as much as we can, for our used items.

I was very naive when I joined up, like many others who join up expecting to grab a bargain. But I soon got fed up of looking in the Classifieds, and concentrated in other sections of the forum. Funny when some new members say, "I am new and I can't think of anything to say, or contribute" . Really? More than likely can't be bothered. As anyone at any level can find a section to contribute in. If they really can't, then what is the point of joining a forum? ;).

Last edited:
I've got nearly all my gear from the classifieds and have just needed it once again when a lens became faulty. I don't know how hard it is to understand it's a perk for members not a right. Never had an issue with any deal and it's given me opportunities to meet other members for a chat if local, including the late Gary Coyle. I joined the site as a complete newbie and was not the most confident at posting questions at first but still managed to join in and build up my post count without really trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back