Cleaning Dust From Camera Body

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
What is the best way to remove dust from a camera body? I was at a Motocross event today which unusually was dry, therefore a lot of dust was created by the bikes.

I haven't taken the lens off yet and have read baby wipes can clean the body. Can anyone recommend this method on my 70D?

TIA.

I just use a small paint brush for dust and then use lens wipes for more stubborn dirt.

When I'm cleaning old cameras I use a cotton bud with isopropyl alcohol. You can use a vodka if you don't have any isopropyl :)

Thanks for the replies but I think I'd rather drink the vodka than share it with my camera!

If I've been to the banger/stockcar racing then my cleaning procedure is as follows:
  1. Let everything dry (on short ovals the shale is wetted down to control dust).
  2. Ignore the filter on the front for now, but leave it on.
  3. Wooden toothpicks/cocktail sticks and a soft brush to remove the gross debris.
  4. Barely damp microfibre cloth to finish off.
  5. Then remove the filter, wash it under the tap, and allow to dry.

How about for those who change their lens often? I'm finding that I'm getting specs on my photos after a fairly short time and I'm putting it down to having to take my lens off. How often do you guys have to have your sensor and mirror cleaned?

How about for those who change their lens often? I'm finding that I'm getting specs on my photos after a fairly short time and I'm putting it down to having to take my lens off. How often do you guys have to have your sensor and mirror cleaned?
I used to clean the sensor every 2-3 months when I had a 40D. Since moving to a more modern mirrorless model with better self-cleaning I generally find that removing the lens, holding the camera facing downwards and activating the self-clean two or three times shifts the dust. I haven't wet-cleaned a sensor in a couple of years. And I change lenses frequently.

Back