Clives 52 in 2019 Thread Almost there!

Whole
That's very nice

Fragile
Good bright colours, the butterfly is a little central for me. I'm don't know what species it is either.

Squash(ed)
Well technically they are cucurbit, but they do look squashed in there.

Time
I quite like floaty in this instance.
Thank you

Whole
That's very nice

Fragile
Good bright colours, the butterfly is a little central for me. I'm don't know what species it is either.

Squash(ed)
Well technically they are cucurbit, but they do look squashed in there.

Time
I quite like floaty in this instance.
Thank you Dominic, so they are squashed cucurbit, not squashed squashes!

Both images are excellent Clive.(y)
The marina full of boats is superb....those colours are tremendous. Great sharpness and details, and a perfect fit for the theme.
The under-boat image is pretty good too, just a tad soft, though not much you could have done about that, I'm sure that thick, glass bottomed hull is not optically optimal!
Certainly is full though....what a great view!

Thank you Gareth
Both images are excellent Clive.(y)
The marina full of boats is superb....those colours are tremendous. Great sharpness and details, and a perfect fit for the theme.
The under-boat image is pretty good too, just a tad soft, though not much you could have done about that, I'm sure that thick, glass bottomed hull is not optically optimal!
Certainly is full though....what a great view!

That certainly is a marina full of boats. Nice vibrant image there Clive - I often wonder how easy it is to navigate your boat out of some of those marinas that are so full

Really nice images there Clive.(y)

Closed: Theme fitment factor is a full 100%! Really nice use of reflections in the glass too!
Free choice: Super, crisp image Clive! Beautiful light and very nice wave-crashing action too....love it!

Really nice images there Clive.(y)

Closed: Theme fitment factor is a full 100%! Really nice use of reflections in the glass too!
Free choice: Super, crisp image Clive! Beautiful light and very nice wave-crashing action too....love it!
Thank you Gareth, setting myself a target of 2 a week to catch up while learning the settings on the em5 mk2

That's a very nice set of images that you have taken since my last visit Clive.
I am particularly drawn to your decaying boats as I really like the green algae on them. Your shot for time is cracking and very well lit. Your shot for closed is perfect in it's simplicity and finally, your shot for colour pop is well taken and really works.

No1 is another nice recycly pic :)

No2 is nicely twisty :)

Blimey Clive,
It looks like I've not viewed your thread since April... eek.
So here goes with a mega comment catchup

Plastic - I think I prefer #2, the balloon thing. Basically due to being more colourful.
Colour Pop - I meant to ask, when I was updating the spreadsheet, what theme is this for? It just says Colour Pop on here and in the main thread. I won't mention the hilly horizon ;)
Free Week - You've caught the power of even a quiet sea nicely. Only critique would be that perhaps you don't need as much sky?
Closed - Not feeling this one (not done mine yet, I doubt mine will enthral me either). feels like a grab shot with the reflections and the paritial light behind the sign.
Drink - Nice focus, nice colours and I love the skull on the drinks list :)
Full - The marina shot for me. I like the fish, but the thick glass of the bottom of the boat stops you getting a crisp, contrasty shot. Was the sea flowing to the left on this day? ;)
Time - Lovely shot. Crisp, catching action, excellent black background. Critique might be that it's floating, but I think you went for that feel. (y)
Squash - I've no idea if a marrow is a squash, but they are squashed in tight, so works for me :) Excellent colour reproduction.
Fragile - To me the flutterby looks slightly oof, but that could be me (opticians appointment booked for next weekend!)
Whole - Ooh, there's some atmospheric pollution / distortion going on there isn't there. Nice to see a moon shot where there is context and not just the moon in the sky.
Green - #1 for me here. Nothing going on in the golf shot (though a bit of a motte and bailey feel), whereas the Littlehampton shot shows sea life.
Decay - All work and good, but I think the wrecked boat shot just edges it for me. You can feel it rotting away before your eyes. :clap:
Crowd - Surely the collective noun for Starlings is a "murmuration", not a crowd ;) Not really my thing, so nothing to add over the previous comments.
Light - Nice play on words and very sharp. Which lensbaby do you have? I have a sol45 and it wouldn't give that sort of shot so presumably you have some other type?
Hot - That'll be taken from "The Thameside" if I'm not mistaken. It's been years since I was in there and it's way too touristy now.
Above - The Tate shot for me, because Tate... I do love industrial buildings.
Smooth - Nice colours, good effort at losing the background, but...
Food - Feeeeesh... Er, it all looks slight oof to me. Not that it really matters and I do like the reflections.
Young - Lovely portrait, and a great background that you found to frame her :) On your wall yet?
Entrance - Sort of an editorial shot, with the demo going on. The OCD in me wants you to get the gate symmetrical.
Free Week - I do like the shot of Boudica (I think) silohetted and framed by The Eye.

Blimey Clive,
It looks like I've not viewed your thread since April... eek.
So here goes with a mega comment catchup

Plastic - I think I prefer #2, the balloon thing. Basically due to being more colourful.
Colour Pop - I meant to ask, when I was updating the spreadsheet, what theme is this for? It just says Colour Pop on here and in the main thread. I won't mention the hilly horizon ;)
Free Week - You've caught the power of even a quiet sea nicely. Only critique would be that perhaps you don't need as much sky?
Closed - Not feeling this one (not done mine yet, I doubt mine will enthral me either). feels like a grab shot with the reflections and the paritial light behind the sign.
Drink - Nice focus, nice colours and I love the skull on the drinks list :)
Full - The marina shot for me. I like the fish, but the thick glass of the bottom of the boat stops you getting a crisp, contrasty shot. Was the sea flowing to the left on this day? ;)
Time - Lovely shot. Crisp, catching action, excellent black background. Critique might be that it's floating, but I think you went for that feel. (y)
Squash - I've no idea if a marrow is a squash, but they are squashed in tight, so works for me :) Excellent colour reproduction.
Fragile - To me the flutterby looks slightly oof, but that could be me (opticians appointment booked for next weekend!)
Whole - Ooh, there's some atmospheric pollution / distortion going on there isn't there. Nice to see a moon shot where there is context and not just the moon in the sky.
Green - #1 for me here. Nothing going on in the golf shot (though a bit of a motte and bailey feel), whereas the Littlehampton shot shows sea life.
Decay - All work and good, but I think the wrecked boat shot just edges it for me. You can feel it rotting away before your eyes. :clap:
Crowd - Surely the collective noun for Starlings is a "murmuration", not a crowd ;) Not really my thing, so nothing to add over the previous comments.
Light - Nice play on words and very sharp. Which lensbaby do you have? I have a sol45 and it wouldn't give that sort of shot so presumably you have some other type?
Hot - That'll be taken from "The Thameside" if I'm not mistaken. It's been years since I was in there and it's way too touristy now.
Above - The Tate shot for me, because Tate... I do love industrial buildings.
Smooth - Nice colours, good effort at losing the background, but...
Food - Feeeeesh... Er, it all looks slight oof to me. Not that it really matters and I do like the reflections.
Young - Lovely portrait, and a great background that you found to frame her :) On your wall yet?
Entrance - Sort of an editorial shot, with the demo going on. The OCD in me wants you to get the gate symmetrical.
Free Week - I do like the shot of Boudica (I think) silohetted and framed by The Eye.
Thanks for all those comments, Lensbaby is pro composer with the double glass optic. COLOUR Pop was the July/ August challenge.

Last edited:
Three great images Clive!(y)

Empty: Nice, simple shot that says everything it needs to....I like the frothy details.
Building: Cracking image this! A very interesting building - I love the lines and the geometry and it's very well composed. Clever use of reflections and terrific colours too....pick of the bunch for me!
Interior: Lots of interest in this image. A brisk and lively image, with nice lines.

Empty
Good job, although I'm sure you could get just a little bit more out of that mug.

Building
Good pov, it's a shame about the car, but we can't always have it all.

Interior
I like that, it's a busy little scene, but some how that empty table and chairs in the foreground sorry of balance's it all out.

Life
I do like the old scooters when they've been done up like this. A good set of images.

Heya Clive,

Sneaking week 27 in like that while I was posting ;) So...

Dirty - Interesting, I wouldn't see that as dirty per se, more nature, but I guess earth is also dirt..
Life - Nice bit of shoe-hornery. I'd like to see the full res version as I think there is a bit of compression going on, especially with the larger scooter on the rhs.
Interior - Works really well, you've caught the curves, straight lines, people... It all adds interest to the shot.
Building - I'm going to be picky here. I would have liked the bridge floor to have gone precisely into the top right corner. And that building that impinges on the right, I would have cloned it out. I know it must be there irl, but the way it comes in crookedly, really distracts.
Empty - Like teh froth, like the composition with the cup off centre on the saucer. Don't like the dirty marks, especially the lower one.

Week 28 Wide

The wide expanses of beaches at Littlehampton & Climping

These are either side of the River Arun Estuary, Littlehampton to the East of the River (first image), Climping to the West

IMG_20190915_183353.jpg
PSX_20190915_183705.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Clive

Got a few minutes spare so doing some catch up.

Empty, it is getting that way, I like the colour of the Coffee against the wood and the slight offset to the left.

Building, Nice set of lines, shame the sky is all white, I can see some cloud in the reflection of the windows.

Interior, nice busy scene, you could have cropped out the chair on the right, but apart from that it's interesting.

Life, some nice looking scooters. for me the top left looks best, has more contrast to the scene.

Dirty, not much to say, there is plenty of dirt.

Wide, I prefer the east, it has more going on with littlehampton. Better colours as well.

Pete

Back