Cloning

Apart from the holy, rule of thirds, which must never be broken obviously!
The rule of thousandths is a lot more flexible.
As for removing or leaving the pipe, it's not been there until recently, and will likely be gone in another 100 years, so it's hardly a fixed part of the landscape. Leaving it in or not is surely down to the taste and wishes of the image maker.
That opens a can of worms! Nothing in the landscape is fixed, Toni. Ever heard of geological time? That mountain will be sediment on the seabed one day ...

The rule of thousandths is a lot more flexible.

That opens a can of worms! Nothing in the landscape is fixed, Toni. Ever heard of geological time? That mountain will be sediment on the seabed one day ...

Not everything is fixed, no, but there is a big difference between man made and natural.

That opens a can of worms! Nothing in the landscape is fixed, Toni. Ever heard of geological time?

No... tell me about it. ;)

But seriously, that's why I'd not be worried TOO much about moving stuff about to make an image that's pleasing, IF the objective was not documentary photography. One man's trivial whimsey is anothers hay wain.

A few min walk from my house is a river. Every winter the valley floods and changes the shape and position of the banks, so that sometimes there's a beach, other times a small cliff. Photographs that I took when we first moved there are no longer relevent to the present geography, and given enough time, that will be true for every landscape shot. So if we're not trying to take a documentary record shot (maybe with some nice lighting as eye candy to give us a reason to look at it) please tell me why it matters? :)

Anyone have any advice or links that might help in cloning something from a very busy section of forest floor?

Normally I keep in anything that's distraction as I tend to focus on slightly messier compositions but would like this one removed.

The trouble I'm having is that in amongst the mess of leaves, broken branches etc. there's also some exposed tree roots. Everytime I attempt it it's plainly obvious it's been fiddled with.

I don't mind a little clone
minimi.png

Sorry if I'm repeating the joke. (ish)
I clone out marks on my daughters face where she's gouged herself after I've not unsharpened her claws!
less is better but sometimes I think that removing something is necessary

Back