Clud17-52-2010 Wk 27 Art

Week 20 Stop

Q. What do you make of a bad theme?

A. Buy a few beers, take off to the Peak District for a long hot weekend of camping and relaxing. build a dam to stop the beers floating down the river whilst keeping them cool and then take a pleasant landscape shot incorporating your engineering .

yes the cans and dam spoil a good scene but to be fair the fresh air, camp cooking, dog walking, chatting and chilling were more important this week.:D:cool:

Dam Cool Beers
4633029392_1cfde105be.jpg

Last edited:
Ingenious idea both for the photo & for the cooling. A closer shot would have made a more arresting image!

Phil

Let's hope no one here works for the National Trust or they might get very upset and send in a sniper for you :D

Nice scenery, beer and lot's of sunshine - sounds like you've had a good weekend - oh, and great idea of keeping your beer cool. Nice picture too!

As a landscape, the beers do spoil it for me, but I understand your thinking behind it.

So my only comment left would be to say it looks a bit overcast, but it's entirely possible it's my monitor, so I'll shut up and move along quietly.

Hope you enjoyed the beers. Looks like a nice spot to kick back & relax!

Ian.

Ingredients is an interesting and nicely taken image. I quite like Phil's idea of the closer in shot.

Stop.. now that's a novel take on the theme, a great idea for keeping the beers cool and stopping them from floating away ;)

Well I wish that I could produce something as good as your saffron shot when I'm uninspired :razz:
Lovely clear, crisp image - you can see every strand of that saffron. And a great plate too. I can see so much potential in that as a background for all types of shots.

Beautiful scenery for this week.
Just the type of place that you want to stop and relax. I'm not sure about the angle though - Sorry to be awkward, but I think I would have preferred a closer shot.
As it is, your beer cooler kind of looks like bits that have washed up in the river and I think a closer shot would emphasise the fact that it was set up deliberately.
Although, it does what you set out to do and shows the beauty of the place, as well as illustrating what you did when you were there.

Week 21 Isolation

I was really pleased when this weeks theme was announced. I came up with a new idea every day and still intend to shoot them all at some point. Anyway i went out for a walk in the Peaks tonight to de-stress after work. I headed up to Strines moor and Wilkin Hill, we used to hire this place out for the weekend and had some wild parties there, unfortunately it is now derelict and a sad sad sight. Link I love the result of this picture, i tried a few poses but this is easily my favourite.

I'm also going to post a re worked crop of a shot from a recent visit to Auchwitz and Birkenau, The idea behind this one is the isolation of a race through anti semitism by the Nazi regime i know the bunks were once over crowded squalid places but now they stand earilly alone as a stark reminder of an awful time. I had a play around with the levels and added a slight gaussian blur and some noise, i'm pretty pleased with the results so im posting two shots this week.

Broken Mind
4647974819_0d40f46df9.jpg

Holocaust
4648588896_6415dbf756.jpg

Last edited:
Both work very nicely for the theme. Were you on your own and left the camera outside for that first one... very brave.

I think the first probably says isolation a bit more to me, I'm guessing they are bunks on the left in the second, which implies more than one. What a shame about that building.

I like your isolation image Chris it is certainly on theme.
Do you have one where the window is less central? I think it would give a different perspective if you were to show more of the building to put the image in context. Just my thoughts.
Your holocaust image works well too, with the story behind it. That is a stark scene all the more horrific by its history.
Well done on both counts(y) What theme will tomorrow bring? :thinking:
Iain

Both work very nicely for the theme. Were you on your own and left the camera outside for that first one... very brave.

I think the first probably says isolation a bit more to me, I'm guessing they are bunks on the left in the second, which implies more than one. What a shame about that building.

thanks John, leaving the camera really wasnt an issue, the place is in the middle of nowhere besides i had my trusty hound patrolling around :)

i understand you with the holocaust shot and the bunks not speaking isolation but my thoughts were about the anti semitism and the isolation of this race imposed on them by the Nazi regime.

It also pains me to see this great building in this way, i do beleive its for sale now but it will need a bundle of money to get it right.

I like your isolation image Chris it is certainly on theme.
Do you have one where the window is less central? I think it would give a different perspective if you were to show more of the building to put the image in context. Just my thoughts.
Your holocaust image works well too, with the story behind it. That is a stark scene all the more horrific by its history.
Well done on both counts(y) What theme will tomorrow bring? :thinking:
Iain

thanks Iain, i agree with the perspective of a wider shot but the window had all sorts of boarding above and to the right which didn't make for a nice frame, im not sure my face would have held as much impact if it was further away.

as for tomorrows theme i could still shoot a few more isolation shots, i really like that title and i have some crazy ideas.:)

Great shot! the bars the broken widow, it all makes for a cracking statement. I also thought about the consentration camp idea - I even considered driving to Bergen Belson(where Ann Frank died), but that is a 3 hour drive. so i knocked my own up in the cellar.

Ingredients...I know how you feel for inspiration so I never bothered and did a couple of re shoots. Nice simple shot with good colours and an interesting background

Stop....Great idea for cooling the necessaties for camping.

Isolation....I can see why you love the this picture it has worked very very well (y)

Great shot! the bars the broken widow, it all makes for a cracking statement. I also thought about the consentration camp idea - I even considered driving to Bergen Belson(where Ann Frank died), but that is a 3 hour drive. so i knocked my own up in the cellar.

Ingredients...I know how you feel for inspiration so I never bothered and did a couple of re shoots. Nice simple shot with good colours and an interesting background

Stop....Great idea for cooling the necessaties for camping.

Isolation....I can see why you love the this picture it has worked very very well (y)

The first isolation shot works very well. The second is a striking emotive shot but doesnt say isolation to me.
Sue
Thanks guys, Sue i can see what you mean about Holocaust, i have added a bit more text explaining why it says isolation to me.

It's great when you get a theme that really appeals to you - and you can see it in the quality of your images.

The first works perfectly for me . . . and a great bit of acting on your part (unless of course you really were feeling sad and wistful)
The framing with the cracked glass and bits of board is spot on. Nothing else I can say, I just love everything about it.

The second is a very powerful and emotive image and I totally get the link to isolation. However, I'm not sure that it works quite as well as a standalone image without the explanation to give it context.

It's unusual for me to say this because my lappy is quite bright, but it's maybe a little bit too dark to make out details. Without the explanation I just see a very atmospheric shot of a window in a derelict building and something wooden along the left hand side. That works very well in itself, but for me, just a bit more detail in the bunks would take it from good to great.

Two stunning images that both tell a story.
For me the 1st image kind of says Isolation a bit better.

It's great when you get a theme that really appeals to you - and you can see it in the quality of your images.

The first works perfectly for me . . . and a great bit of acting on your part (unless of course you really were feeling sad and wistful)
The framing with the cracked glass and bits of board is spot on. Nothing else I can say, I just love everything about it.

The second is a very powerful and emotive image and I totally get the link to isolation. However, I'm not sure that it works quite as well as a standalone image without the explanation to give it context.

It's unusual for me to say this because my lappy is quite bright, but it's maybe a little bit too dark to make out details. Without the explanation I just see a very atmospheric shot of a window in a derelict building and something wooden along the left hand side. That works very well in itself, but for me, just a bit more detail in the bunks would take it from good to great.

thanks Sarah, it does make a difference to me when i like the theme. I have a pad by my laptop and if im inspired it ends up with 5 or 6 ideas on it.

Two stunning images that both tell a story.
For me the 1st image kind of says Isolation a bit better.

thanks mate, the first is my entry for the 52 the second is just one i had a play with.

Week 22 Quality

Im in early this week, i ve come to the conclusion that im not going to find an idea better than this one no matter how hard i try. My only other inspiration for this was a few empty quality street wrappers and as i said before i can't eat chocolate so that's no fun.

So here is arguably the best Chronograph out there, Swiss made and exquisite quality. This was my fathers watch, a present for his 21st from his mother and is a 1957 Rolex Oyster. Looking at the current and recent stock of Rolex watches i think the older ones have much more style and class. Iv'e given it a few tweaks in CS4 to give the picture an older feel but i'm not sure if i have achieved it. I added a bit of film grain after seeing the same done to a shot by Dean and liking the effect although it was just an over layed template given out free with a recent magazine i bought.

Quality Time
4661597548_a4595f9744.jpg

Last edited:
Clever.......

Wishing I had done a close up Macro of my tag Heuer now (though not in the same league as a Rolex Oyster)

Just had the call, that my final idea is a go-er for tomorrow, lets hope no rain.......

Though I agree with above, this watch needs to be pinsharp throughout, nothing else is good enough for a rolex!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, i see where you come from about the grain but to be honest i have taken another look at the original shot and the watch face is pretty speckly anyway without the grain added. I didn't want the image to look modern so i always set out to get an older feel to it. I looked at doing a light sepia tone to it but i didn't think that worked either.

Not sure about the status comparison Lynton, some of the 50's Tags look pretty smart too, i think there is something about the older style watch i like. funny though, i dont even wear a watch myself.

Chris I like the processing on your image, it works well with the subject. Your lighting is good too, shows the detail well. My only crit would be the strap, theres a certain amount of detail been lost but in saying that, the focal point is the watch face so ignore what i just said:LOL:.
The composition works well too with the diagnol lines across the image.
Good job(y)
Iain

I think the processing works well, like the composition and the subject screams quality (y)

The strap is a little distracting as it lacks detail though.

The only thing I may have tried differently is a slower shutter speed to get the second hand moving.

Andy

Chris I like the processing on your image, it works well with the subject. Your lighting is good too, shows the detail well. My only crit would be the strap, theres a certain amount of detail been lost but in saying that, the focal point is the watch face so ignore what i just said:LOL:.
The composition works well too with the diagnol lines across the image.
Good job(y)
Iain

I think the processing works well, like the composition and the subject screams quality (y)

The strap is a little distracting as it lacks detail though.

The only thing I may have tried differently is a slower shutter speed to get the second hand moving.

Andy

Thanks guys, not sure what i could do with the strap though, i did try some closer shots but felt to get the right impact of the watch i had to have all of it in shot.

Nice one, Chris. Definite quality. I like the processing but I agree with the others that all the detail has been lost on the strap. Interesting idea from Andy about the second hand moving. I assume it still works?

Jenny

Thanks Jenny, it has had regular services over the years so it works perfectly. The second hand doesn't tick its the smoothest continuous motion i have ever seen, for that reason iv'e never really managed to get a decent motion shot of it.

:agree: a quality watch... I'm not sure the processing has helped the strap, it just looks too dark... but otherwise very nicely done.

I like the shot of the watch and the processing - I just feel it wants a touch more exposure to bring out a little shadow detail.

The texture of the face of watch is very appealing.

Phil

Wow - just realised I'd missed your isolation shots - both blinders! Really striking shots - nice work.

Phil

I like the shot of the watch and the processing - I just feel it wants a touch more exposure to bring out a little shadow detail.

The texture of the face of watch is very appealing.

Phil

Wow - just realised I'd missed your isolation shots - both blinders! Really striking shots - nice work.

Phil

Cheers Phil, i appreciate your comments:)

Hi Chris certainly a quality time peice, I like the processing and the focus on the face, keep up the good work.

Good shot for Quality - like the subject and the processing but do keep wanting to see the second hand moving.

Isolation: First shot is good but the 2nd shot is scary.....I've been to that site and although you cannot describe the place as being amazing, it's certainly chilling and I think you've captured it really well and a perfect fit for the isolation theme.

Back