Coast: Talk Photography style

Evening all,

Some truly fantastic images here, and a real selection of coastlines on offer. As a self proclaimed novice when it comes to decent landcsape captures, I am in awe of these.

Standout images for me are from :

Tom - the colours in your pic of the New Brighton Lighthouse are wonderful - look at those greens on the rocks!

Stupar - your Seacliff image is beautifully minimal - great colours and striking composition.

Phil - The Tay Entering the North Sea - very different and imposing. Loving the industrial nature of that seascape. Your Red Sand image is very different too - there is something almost martian about it. The texture and shapes in this are fabulous.

Shrmoto - really like your Port Muck image. I love the Antrim coastline and keep meaning to get back out there. Your pic of Saltburn pier though is wonderful. Great choice of viewpoint and composition, and the contrasting colours really make this standout.

Great reflections and textures in your first shot, Martin.

Les - brilliant use of lead-in line in your Cob image; I am heading that way this summer so will probably give this landscape a visit myself. I also like the gritty quality of the shot.

Michael - liking your long exposure of Durdle Dor - good timing in capturing the near break of the wave. Am hoping to get to see this as well when I head out to Dorset in the summer.

Matthew - great sunset -really vivid colours and another great reflection

Steve - really liking the colours and tones in your Firth of Clyde picture; very moody

Martin - great shot from Whitby - one of my favourite places, and also loving your shot of Hunstanton. Great choice of angle; you have nailed the shapes of those rocks.
Alan - very picturesque shot of the bay - I like the simplicity of this and the lane heading up and out of the picture really gives it some depth.

Tomh1982 - some really cool long exposures here - your one of Southwold Pier wins it for me for the contrasts between the sea and the land - especially the pier.

Thanks for your pier shot too, Kim - like the mono conversion ; it adds to a very moody capture.

Mike - excellent moonlight capture. A simple but effective composition, and another other worldly kind of shot. Fascinated with how the moonlights subverts the colours and tones.

Gary - your colourful cove image stands out for me. Great capture of the sky and the reflections but it is the boat sailing out of the cove that really adds to this. I like the way it is highlighted by the remaining sunlight.

Nguss - great lighthouse shot - effective use of lead in lines and wonderful colours too.

Simon (great name!) - lots of lovely shots from the wonderful Welsh coastline. I think after Cornwall, this is my favourite place in the country. Lots to choose from but the Menai Bridge and your shot of Llanddwyn Island are the stand outs for me. That bridge shot has lots of fabulous detail in it and the way the bridge itself is juxtaposed against the natural landscape - especially the snow capped mountains, is brilliant.

Dan - your long exposure of South Shields stands out for me - like the simplicity of the shot.

Paul - Llanddwyn Island is clearly a great place to shoot. Your capture is fantastic - lots of drama and contrast - great long exposure and great composition.

Les - it is your Paddy's Hole pic that grabbed my attention. Very good viewpoint and choice of composition. Really like the saturated colours and the atmosphere in this - the relaxed nature of the foreground compared to the industrialised bg.

Your Isle of Skye picture is equally fantastic. Loving the drama of those waves crashing against the rocks. I really like the fact that you have kept this in colour too.

Colin - there is something very Scottish about both of your castle shots - like the ruggedness of the coastline in both of them.

Harry - thanks for your contribution - another fab reflection caught in the wet sand. Very well seen. Good lead in lines too - the texture in the wet sand leading up to the pool of water.

Scott - all 4 of yours are fabulous. Love the view of Durdle Dor - a really original and clever capture - was this a panoramic, or a stitch of many?
Really like your Porth Naven shot too; how did you find the drive down to this cove?

Liz - some really fab shots from you - I like the North Landing one best - the red boats add real interest and a striking contrast.

Harry - this is a great selection of boat images - great simplicity in your second image; I really like the 'portrait' framing to it. Effective dof in your third image too - makes for a very different view.

Keep them coming folks, looking to get the map up and running in about a week's time and would love to have a lot of ground covered by then.

Cheers

Spooks

beachy-head-2.jpg

One from me for now.

Jenny

What an excellent thread! So many good images, and a few holiday ideas have popped up:)

A few from Shetland..

Ness Of Burgi, south end of Mainland Shetland

Horse Holm 2 by Crieffy., on Flickr

Muckle Flugga lighthouse, most northerly bit of the UK

Muckle Flugga Lighthoose by Crieffy., on Flickr

Braewick, west coast of mainland Shetland

View from the Braewick Cafe by Crieffy., on Flickr

Cliffs at Eshaness

Eshaness Cliffs by Crieffy., on Flickr

Dunrossness and Sumburgh - pretty much all my wildlife photography is done along the coast visible here.

View South From Ward Of Scousburgh by Crieffy., on Flickr

Simon, this is a great thread. It could be the makings of a book!

Landscapes are not really my thing, so the quality probably does not match some of the other superb photos already posted, but here they are anyway.

They are all from the Outer Hebrides.

1) Barra airport - the only airport in the world where scheduled flights land on the beach - depending on the tide, of course!

barra-airport.jpg

2) Kisimul Castle, Castlebay, Barra

castlebay-barra.jpg

3) Beach at Vatersay

beach-at-vatersay.jpg

4) Balranald Nature Reserve, North Uist

balranald-north-uist.jpg

5) Luskintyre Beach, Harris

luskintyre-beach.jpg

6) Island of Hirta, St Kilda

st-kilda.jpg

I will try to sort out some more.

Jenny

I love seascapes! Here is my contribution to a great thread; some seriously stunning photos on here - Well done to all. (y)

New Brighton:

8910818393_fd83d8f525_c.jpg

Crosby Beach:

8911207272_c63e581843_c.jpg

Llanddwyn Island Sunset:

8909785371_d56868c78f_c.jpg

Another from Llanddwyn Island:

8910351551_67b18170f7_c.jpg

Just found a memory card containing some from St Andrews in March.

8989079946_e38ed0231d_c.jpg

Marvellous stuff folks. Keep 'em coming.

For now, here is a test link to an editable Google map: (Mods, I hope this is OK)

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204239868097270912660.0004debcfb5a52c556116&msa=0&ll=50.148746,-5.19104&spn=0.750636,2.113495

You will need to sign in to Google before you can edit the map.

Simply find the location you have photographed, drop the pin to the relevant place and add your name in the description window.

If you want to, you can also hyperlink your name to your image.

I have done a couple as an example - they are down in Cornwall

Hopefully it will be easy for everyone to contribute to the map. I have enabled it to be edited by anyone but the map itself is only accessible by the link. If this works, I will add the link to the opening post.

Please respect other TP Users contributions and try not to edit / delete any content other than your own. If there is already a marker in a place you have photographed, just add your name and link to the description.

Let's see if we can get right around the coastline!

Cheers

Simon

Last edited:
Fabulous stuff, Jenny and big thanks for updating the map and adding links; I guess my instructions work!

Spooks

I love the light shafting through the clouds in shot 4. And the colour through all of them is very vibrant. Very nice!

Hope this helps, but if you want to include a pic…

After placing your marker, click “rich text”. Then click on the far right landscape picture icon, and insert your hosted image. :)

The Worms Head, Gower S Wales.

Dunraven Bay S Wales

Southern Down S Wales

Skokholm Island, West Wales. I know it's not the clearest but it was blowing force 9 with salt spray every where particularly on my lens so was a rush job.

Last edited:
Hi all, very first image post on here so go easy. This was taken on a Fuji SL240 bridge camera in April. Have now upgraded to a D5100 so looking forward to getting to grips with that. Anyway, I probably haven't posted the image properly, but hope its ok. Took it from the B&B bedroom window during a recent holiday.

Durness_Sunrise.jpg

Here's a few from me in North Wales,

Llŷn Peninsula

8041744262_e4fc0a528b_c.jpg

Talacre Lighthouse

7600588750_2b256a4faa_c.jpg

Cable Bay, Anglesey

7009645123_2b3aecd1e0_c.jpg

Sunny Rhyl!

6186454393_7a104e90c8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Some very nice pics on this thread.

Chesil beach, Dorset.

Southport, Merseyside

4887785887_205e76b563_z.jpg

Scarborough, Yorkshire

6083205204_e20040c095_b.jpg

Another Scarborough

6083161064_7a087946cd_b.jpg

Whitby, Yorkshire

6082604475_470768b0a4_b.jpg

Here are few of my efforts, first two are of Lulworth Cove. The third is of the coastguard doing a flypast and waving at the kids at Ringstead Beach. Both are in deepest darkest Dorset.

Really pleased this thread is gaining legs. Lots of fantastic landscapes and great to see lots of blue markers on the map. Big thanks to all of you for taking time out to post and to place your little blue icon.

Spooks

Milou - your Sea Fever image is incredible!

Really pleased this thread is gaining legs. Lots of fantastic landscapes and great to see lots of blue markers on the map. Big thanks to all of you for taking time out to post and to place your little blue icon.

Spooks

Missed that bit, how do you place the markers?

Back