Colour Films recomendations

Name
Marc
Edit My Images
No
Hi! I've been reading this forum for quite a long time, but I didn't participate too much. Today I want to ask you for some advice on colour films.
I've been shooting and developing my own B&W films for a long time, mostly Tri-x (that I love) and other classic films such as APX100 (yes, the original one, it was a gift from a man who was closing down a really long time family owned photo store), HP5 or Kodak Double-X. As you can see, I'm really into classic grain shaped film.
But now, I'm starting with colour film, and I'm completely lost. I've tried Ektar and Portra 400 and even if I'm happy with both, I would like to find some more options. TBH Ektar gave me colors that I liked more than Portra (on the same kind of pictures). I tried Kodak Ultra and gold, but I didn't liked them too much.

Do your recomendations, or what to avoid!

Thank you!

For saturated colours, I like Fujifilm Superia 400 (relatively cheap, too), or Velvia 50 (slide, not cheap). For cheaper options, good old Agfa Vista 200 (Poundland film) is a good everyday colour stock.

The thing with (colour) films is that how we like the way they render things (colour, saturation, grain etc) is a subjective business. So it's a personal quest I'm afraid. Just try as many as you feel like trying, and make your own conclusions. But use a good lab for processing quality control and consistency. I used a certain lab years ago that tried their best to scratch every film I sent them (of course I soon started sending somewhere else ...).

I use a variety of formats - 35mm, 120, and just starting large format. So for my purposes, I like to choose films that are available in all formats. As far as colour neg film goes, that gives a strong steer towards Kodak Ektar and Kodak Portra.

For saturated colours, I like Fujifilm Superia 400 (relatively cheap, too), or Velvia 50 (slide, not cheap). For cheaper options, good old Agfa Vista 200 (Poundland film) is a good everyday colour stock.
I would certainly give these Fuji options a shot (the Agfa is also a Fuji emulsion). Superia 400 was my standard general purpose film for several years, and I always like the results. Nice colours and very tolerant of overexposure (less good if underexposed). Superia 200, which a lot of people liked, is apparently being discontinued but can still be found at a reasonable price (e.g. Calumet).

If you like Superia 400 you can get it as Agfa Vista 400 for a lower price, from AG!

Part of the issue with colour negative film is that the end result depends on the whole chain from camera to print (or digital image), not just the film. The extent to which you over-expose affects the colours, of course the film itself, we assume processing is neutral, but the scan really does affect the result, and the colour inversion. Home scanning is dodgy, and different labs will give different results with their scans. So yes, we can comment on what works for us, but you have to try it for yourself and see.

For me, Vista 400 for everyday, Portra 400 for anything special, unless it's Ektar 100 for a bit more saturation. I rarely use slide film, would be Provia 100 or Agfa Precisa 100.

Thanks to all for your advise! I've been checking almost every week if my local poundland (Leamington Spa) had any film, but no luck so far... I'll try with the Vista!

I was told today that the Poundland AGFA Vista 200 had been discontinued, even though it's still advertised on the website. Gutted as it's a good film to practice with :/

I was told today that the Poundland AGFA Vista 200 had been discontinued, even though it's still advertised on the website. Gutted as it's a good film to practice with :/
It can still be found in some shops - worth a hunt if you're near a Poundshop.

It can still be found in some shops - worth a hunt if you're near a Poundshop.
None near me stock it anymore unfortunately, spent a day ringing round. My local Poundland said they had stopped selling it 2 months ago and the website was wrong. Got the feeling it was more down to the fact they didn't want to order any in for me.

I think that we worked out that Fuji Superia 200 in 36 rolls is as cheap per shot as Agfa Vista 200.

I think that we worked out that Fuji Superia 200 in 36 rolls is as cheap per shot as Agfa Vista 200.

...but it's been discontinued :( and would have to hunt around for a supplier who still has stock who would probably put the price up?

...but it's been discontinued :( and would have to hunt around for a supplier who still has stock who would probably put the price up?

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about that bit of news. So that leaves Fuji C200 (which I believe is the same as Agfa Vista) and Kodak Gold 200 in the cheap range.

Kodak vision 3, its a motion picture film that still has ramjet.
I love the stuff, I get larger reels of it now and roll my own 35mm cans as it can be expensive.
(Just done a load of 200T worked out about £1.25 ish per roll)

Kodak vision 3, its a motion picture film that still has ramjet.
I love the stuff, I get larger reels of it now and roll my own 35mm cans as it can be expensive.
(Just done a load of 200T worked out about £1.25 ish per roll)

Interesting, how or where you get vision3 developed at a good price?

Interesting, how or where you get vision3 developed at a good price?

Its about a £1.25 a roll to buy (in bulk) not inc developing, Only a couple of places do it but I hope I should be doing it myself shortly

I think I have. They are certainly in my price comparison spreadsheet. No worries from me. (YMMV of course.)

I was just about to post my own thread but thought I would jump in here to save clutter (hope you don't mind).

I'm new to film and I've shot a few rolls of Vista 200 and Kodak Colour Plus. I'm going to Sri Lanka in just over a week and I want to take my 35mm camera with me (as well as my dslr), would anyone be able to recommend some film for me to try? I was thinking of giving Fujifilm Superia 400 a shot.

I was just about to post my own thread but thought I would jump in here to save clutter (hope you don't mind).

I'm new to film and I've shot a few rolls of Vista 200 and Kodak Colour Plus. I'm going to Sri Lanka in just over a week and I want to take my 35mm camera with me (as well as my dslr), would anyone be able to recommend some film for me to try? I was thinking of giving Fujifilm Superia 400 a shot.

If it were me I would try Kodak Ektar 100 or Kodak Portra in both 160 and 400. They are more expensive but for a big trip to Sri Lanka I wouldn't want to be using poorer quality film.
Ektar is very vivid and excellent for really colourful, sunny locations and both of the Portras are great for a slightly more muted look and are top notch for skin tones.

What Andy said. Ektar is a bit more saturated and less forgiving on exposure than some other C41 films, and can be hard to scan (I'm told). But if it's lab processed and scanned and you get it right, it's fabulous.

I took Portra 160 to Italy recently, and it was great most of the time, but in some shaded areas I had problems handheld (but it was a slower zoom lens). You could take Portra 400 and rate it at 250 with no worries; over exposing does increase the saturation a bit.

Snip:
What Andy said. Ektar is a bit more saturated and less forgiving on exposure than some other C41 films, and can be hard to scan (I'm told).

I've always found Ektar 100 easy to scan... the old Ektar 1000 from the early 90s was the difficult one, but I've never had a problem scanning the new Ektar 100. As for colour, I'd describe it as 'well-saturated without being garish'. I wouldn't hesitate to take some rolls of it for a trip to somewhere hot and sunny, particularly if you want some photos with a bit of 'pop' to them. The grain is nice and fine on Ektar 100 too, so you can go large even with 35mm:

Americana by J White, on Flickr

As said above, you could also take some Portra for scenes where you want colours to be more life-like and a bit more muted. Hope this is useful, and don't forget to share some of your photos with us when you get back. :)

Last edited:
Its about a £1.25 a roll to buy (in bulk) not inc developing, Only a couple of places do it but I hope I should be doing it myself shortly
I can't wait to see your results!

I did a trip not that long ago and I had the same question, as everybody said, don't go cheap, ektar for me is the best option I find portra a bit too dull if the main subject is not a person to take advantage of the really nice skin colors. Ektar can be pushed as well at 400 with good results, way more contrast though.

None near me stock it anymore unfortunately, spent a day ringing round. My local Poundland said they had stopped selling it 2 months ago and the website was wrong. Got the feeling it was more down to the fact they didn't want to order any in for me.

The irony is:- if people on the bay are willing to pay £2 plus for Vista, then Poundland could have sold it for £1.50 to £2 made a nice profit so would encourage them to get some more...of course if the source has dried up there is not much you can do. No one found out how Vista got on the market, a guess could be Fuji clearing out a stock of unsold C200 film by the back door.

Last edited:
It must still be being produced as Ilford and other suppliers still sell it.
But you are right they could sell it as 3 for a fiver or £6 and people would still buy.

It must still be being produced as Ilford and other suppliers still sell it.
But you are right they could sell it as 3 for a fiver or £6 and people would still buy.

Is that post for me Graham? C200 or Superia 400 is Vista 200 and Vista 400 resp...so Fuji are competing against their own films with a Fuji label, but if a company wants to shift something then plenty of them use the back door method from food to fridges and all you have to do is change a few labels and lower the price.

Thanks for everyone who recommended Ektar, just ordered 3 rolls :) Now I just need to decide whether to take my Praktica MTL 50 & Pentacon 1.8 or my Pentax Me Super and 50mm 1.7mm. I just got my first test roll back from the Pentax and I'm disappointed that I seem to have missed focus on more than half of the shots :oops: :$ For some reason I find it difficult to tell if the scene is in focus with the Pentax 50mm 1.7.

Thanks for everyone who recommended Ektar, just ordered 3 rolls :) Now I just need to decide whether to take my Praktica MTL 50 & Pentacon 1.8 or my Pentax Me Super and 50mm 1.7mm. I just got my first test roll back from the Pentax and I'm disappointed that I seem to have missed focus on more than half of the shots :oops: :$ For some reason I find it difficult to tell if the scene is in focus with the Pentax 50mm 1.7.

Oh dear..were they close up shots or lens set at F1.7 as on a sunny day with the lens set at say F5.6 or F8, it's difficult to get a shot OOF http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I rarely use colour film inless I am testing a new old czamewra, but I have recently use Fuji Pro 400H in my Bronica ETRs and I am quite impressed with it.
Breamish-13-Edit.jpg

Back