Coloursplash

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to a local haunt of mine, somewhere I have shot before, and this, a shot similar to one I did ages ago. OTT, crazy & extreme white balance, however...ZERO filters for a change :D

C&C Welcome. I appreciate many of you will probably wanna puke due to the migraine inducing array of colours ;)

I stood for 2 hours in a field to get this shot. My feet are still frozen.

colourburstsmall.jpg

Please view large on black

Thanks as always for any HONEST CC.

Gary.

:eek: (in a good way :D) !!!!

More art than landscape photography, IMHO. Wonderful though :clap:.

Can you talk us through the process please, Gary?

love that mate - nice subject too .... reminds me of the aurora borealis .. :)

Loving it! I wouldn't mind trying something like that myself; I'd be very interested to hear how you achieved it :)

(in a good way ) !!!!

More art than landscape photography, IMHO. Wonderful though .

Can you talk us through the process please, Gary?

Yes,

These photos are a complete cop out, as they are so easy to pull off. A few things you need I find to make it work.

1: A good silhouetted skyline *unless it's a full moon and clearish sky
2: Lots of clouds with breaks in them (helps with the streaks)
3: Quite fast cloud movement
4: Bucket loads of Light Pollution

* full moon and clearish sky = completely different ballgame. It can be harder to get a silhouette, and you will normally get daylike colours if you expose for this length of time. Example:

arthursseatlongexposure.jpg

Last night, I actually drove for over an hour around various places I wanted to try, but the sky was crap. It was featureless, quite starry and spits of rain kept hitting the car - so I was worried about the lens getting wet, and the shot being ruined. On the way home, I decided to try one last place, and got lucky I guess.

I setup in the field, and manually focused on the silhouetted skyline, and as I knew the sky was gonna be the star of the show, I wanted to get much more of it that foreground.

Once setup, I started taking exposures at ISO6400, 3200, 1600, and 800. This allowed me to see the various effects without having to wait too long. I wasn't too happy as there was only a smidgen of cloud and lots of stars.

cammostars.jpg

Scenes like that above, whilst they can work for different reasons, are difficult I feel for long exposures. I am not really a huge fan of mega long star trails unless I can get a VERY good foreground too.

I waited about 2 hours in the field overall, and as I was about to leave, the clouds picked up - and luckily, they were coming directly at me, they were full of cracks and features, and I knew I would get a somewhat decent sky. I exposed for 13.5 minutes, and was lucky, as the exposure was just about to blow out.

Once home, I simply played with the white balance, and adjusted the levels.

The combo of light pollution and fast moving clouds is what has caused this, and all without filters - any of us can go out and try it.

I, of course, am kidding . You are certainly getting the best out of that 10 stop matey!

What 10 stop? :D

very good

Ta! :)

love that mate - nice subject too .... reminds me of the aurora borealis .. :)

Thanks, would love to see it for real :)

Nice Gary (y) hope your feet have thawed out

Toasty now! :D

Loving it! I wouldn't mind trying something like that myself; I'd be very interested to hear how you achieved it :)

See above :)

It works for me, very arty and also very Gary :D(y)

Ta :D

I think it is a really nice shot, very imaginative well done

Interesting and rather good, thanks for the explanation

Looks great, just spotted it in flickr contacts :), although i agree to the art comment

Looks great, just spotted it in flickr contacts :), although i agree to the art comment

Yeah me too I guess. Perhaps general photo sharing was more appropriate, just it features a landscape kinda :D

My mum once asked me if I considered my photos actual "photo's" or "digital art", and I explained it depended on the photo. I am at peace with either, I just want it to look good :D

Gary.

true i suppose, as long as you don't venture into "popular" HDR because that's horrendous :D

~ grabs coat, runs for life :p

They are the real hdr though - i was making a reference to the art thing and the horrendous mess that some folks like to make of a nice photo then labelling it as HDR :D

They are the real hdr though - i was making a reference to the art thing and the horrendous mess that some folks like to make of a nice photo then labelling it as HDR :D

I dunno what you are talking about ;) HDR is utter win.

OK. I'm lying. I think it's why HDR has such a bad name. I was worried by purple cloudescape was one of those types!!

Gary.

Guys,

I might head out for some more tonight if anyone fancies it. There are some decent clouds so could manage the same effect with any luck. Just need a different foreground!

Gary.

Very nice !

Like all 3 of the new images thanks for sharing your explanation of how to :clap: on the silhouettes

What program are you using to mess with the white balance gary photoshop CS

Last edited:
Wonderful colour, I really like this and will have a go myself

Great shot Gary - these pics of yours would do very well with the pic libraries - but then you'd have to watermark them! ;)

Great shot Gary - these pics of yours would do very well with the pic libraries - but then you'd have to watermark them! ;)

Well if you get bored - drop me a PM with a few suggestions! :) I have seen things like iStockPhoto and the prices are a joke!! :D

Gary.

Wonderful colour, I really like this and will have a go myself

Cheers, appreciate you taking the time to look and comment :)

Lovely Gary, very lovely. :clap:

Thanks mate, means a lot.

Like all 3 of the new images thanks for sharing your explanation of how to :clap: on the silhouettes

What program are you using to mess with the white balance gary photoshop CS

The other two I just included as examples, I am not hugely keen on them. Glad you like! :D

With regards to white balance, just do it in camera as much as possible. Once you have your "base white balance" sorted, I then use Capture NX to change the temperature and tones.

Gary.

Smashin pics Gary, and interesting technical stuff.

TBH, I've never tried really long exposures with digital. I did with film, and with reciprocity failure it's friggin useless. But this is different.

Thanks for the inspiration (y)

Smashin pics Gary, and interesting technical stuff.

TBH, I've never tried really long exposures with digital. I did with film, and with reciprocity failure it's friggin useless. But this is different.

Thanks for the inspiration (y)

Cheers :) Dunno what reciprocity failure is to be honest, haven't a clue! So I can't do this with the Mamiya then? :D

Gary.

Love the colour of those skies!
Thanks for the tips & tricks....well worth trying! :)

Cheers :) Dunno what reciprocity failure is to be honest, haven't a clue! So I can't do this with the Mamiya then? :D

Gary.

You will come up against it if you try anything much over a couple of seconds exposure with film.

Reciprocity means that 1/500sec at f/2 produces the same result in terms of exposure as 1/8sec at f/16, etc etc. Basic theory of exposure, and with digital it holds good across a very wide range from a minute or three to fractions of milliseconds (not sure what happens outside that range, but it's not relevant to pictorial photography).

But at low light levels, film does not react equally to half the intensity for double the time. It has reciporcity failure. You have to give three times the time, then four times, then eight times and so on as the light level drops. When you get over ten seconds, it's a big problem, but even worse is that the different colour layers of film react differently, so you end up with all sorts of colour correction problems. And all films are different :D Terrific fun it is.

Gary.

Course you can, I dunno why you haven't, wang a roll of 64T in it or Velvia 100F on a dark night, and leave it for.....ages....:LOL:

crap scan but...:shrug:

13z4fnk.jpg

Awesome shot Gary, really like it! and cheers for the tutorial!

We have loads of wind turbines round our way, might try and get a silhouette of them with a similar effect!

Dave

Back