Compact + lighter weight or more sturdy?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have just purchased a Manfrotto 190GO (which I can still take back to the retailer if I wish) and a Manfrotto Beefree.

My main use for this is landscapes and travel.

Kit I will be using on it - A7II with max of a 70-200 F4

I like the feel of the 190go, it feels well made and sturdy and looks decent + is slightly smaller than some similarly stable tripods.

The Befree is obviously lighter and can fold away smaller (images below), feels fairly sturdy but not close to the 190go.

I plan to take this abroad (otherwise this wouldn't be a question i'd need to ask) so need something that is both sturdy and portable.

Sturdy is also important I will be using it for long exposures. Though I'm not usually out in gail force winds.

What would you do?

See images for size comparison.

Weight:

190go: 2.2kg (inc head)
Manfrotto Befree: 1.4kg 9 (inc head)

Untitled by Thomas Green, on Flickr

Untitled by Thomas Green, on Flickr

Last edited:
The important point is going to be what lenses you are planning to use? You could also just fit your kit to each of the tripods and see how wobbly they may/may not feel. Either way, a tripod that moves is no better than hand holding if you're on anything other than a steady surface.

Keep the smaller one if it's for travel, lighter and easier to carry about, if a tripod becomes an encumbrance it won't get used.
No doubt the Go is sturdier, should be though weighing 75% more, all adds up when you are lugging it round.

Bought a Befree myself for taking on short European citybreaks, fits inside my rucksack and easily in a carry on bag.
The design is excellent and folds down smaller in diameter than other travel tripods I've owned.
Must admit I changed the head, not the greatest and that clamp/plate is huge plus all my stuff is Arca anyway

So you would keep the Befree over the 190go?
Can't really answer that one.
I have a beefree for walkabouts and the like. I have a big manfrotto carbon Fibre job as my "standard" triopd. Probably overkill for the Fuji, but it is certainly stable.
As with everything...the other man's grass always seems greener!!!

Mount your camera w/ the longest lens attached. Then tape a laser pointer onto the lens hood and point it at a wall about 5m away. Then go through your shot process and see if either will keep the laser pointer from moving on the wall... Neither will, but one will probably move less... and you can use this method to determine how best to use the tripods (i.e. how long to wait after activating M-up, etc).

tape a laser pointer onto the lens hood… one will probably move less

This is good advice when…

Steven's suggestion would tell you about the tripod and
head combo if it wasn't for the weakest point that is the
camera attachment.

The head plate is usually padded and the body is attached
to it sitting on a compressible rubber. This is the weak point.

His laser idea would help anyone with ArcaS plates that are
metal on metal with the lens foot for ex. Eliminating the ca-
mera attachment issue will tell you the right thing about the
other elements to test for stability.

Back