Compact mirrorless body with or without EVF?

hashcake

Gone to pot!
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking at getting a smaller mirrorless camera for holidays and travel.
I had decided on a Fujifilm X-E2 as it seems to be a cheap way into mirrorless with the advantage (or so I thought) of having a EVF.
I know there is a EVF for the Canon M3 but it's too expensive for what it is and it looks horrible when attached to the body so I have ruled that out.
A friend on mine who is also a Canon user has recently bought a Fujifilm X-A10, he loves it, and he said he is glad it doesn't have an EVF as he feels it would be difficult to use with a compact body.
So now I am not sure which way to go.
As I know the Canon system very well, I've also been toying with the idea of buying a M3 and just using the screen.
I'm not adverse to learning the Fujifilm system but wondering if I really do need an EVF and if not I could still go the Fujifilm route but with a newer body.
I think my brain is stuck in old school mode as like most, I've used my phone for photos but I much prefer to use a camera with a EVF and I just can't get past the idea of not having one.
I suppose the obvious thing to do would be to go to a shop, hold a Fujifilm X-A10, X-E3 and a Canon M3 and seeing how they feel to hold when taking photos.
I'm only talking about compact bodies as there is no point comparing them to a DSLR as I already have that covered.
I'm wondering if anyone has used both a mirrorless EVF and non EVF system and what your view is on this?

When using my Nikon DSLR, I only ever used the viewfinder, since moving to a Fuji mirrorless, I rarely use the viewfinder, I find the big, bright, responsive rear screen a pleasure to use.

I have just bought a 2nd hand X-T10, so far very pleased as I wanted an evf and although it's small, the evf, it works well and for me it's a toe in the water to compliment my heavy 5D3. I understand you can get an adapter EF to X that maintains af and all electronic connections for about £300 so I may use that to connect my EF lenses later. I got a kit lens with the body from Wex and both were immaculate.

I bought a Panasonic GF1 when they first came out but quickly decided that I'd rather have an evf as I don't like holding a device 6" to 1ft in front of my face and looking at a screen. There's also the issue of the sun hitting the screen on sunny days.

I'd recommend the rf style Panasonic GX80 or even better the GX9 both of which I own. The evf isn't anywhere near the best by todays standards but it's useable.

There's also the Sony A6xxx range which are even smaller than rf style MFT bodies.

Last edited:
I only use the rear screen only A7III for photos at awkward angles - I would not be happy without the EVF.

Like @ancient_mariner I wouldn't want to be without an EVF. There are times in bright sunlight when it's difficult to see what you're shooting. At least you have an option if you have a viewfinder.

My travelling light camera is an Olympus Pen F. I sometimes use the screen to compose and fire the shutter, particularly at things like family parties, and it's easy for friends to take photos with it, but it's nice to have a viewfinder.

I find the EVFs on cameras as small as the Sony HX90 or the Panasonic TZ70 entirely usable. I have used cameras that lack them but I find an eye level viewfinder so much more useful than the large screens most of the time.

How easy is it balance a camera without an evf, I find holding a camera up to my face to take a shot gives me the ideal position to then support the camera/lens easily.

EVF is clearly a personal preference as you can see from the replies above, for my use it depends on the size of the package. With the NEX-6 if I have a small lens on it like the 16-50mm I don't tend to need the EVF but with a bigger telephoto lens where I need to support the camera by the lens, I definitely need the EVF. With the small RX1r mk1 I've not missed an EVF and almost never used it on the RX100 mk4 whereas on the D750 even allowing for its poor rear screen performance, I find the viewfinder essential due to its size and balance.

I bought a Panasonic GF1 when they first came out but quickly decided that I'd rather have an evf as I don't like holding a device 6" to 1ft in front of my face and looking at a screen. There's also the issue of the sun hitting the screen on sunny days.

I'd recommend the rf style Panasonic GX80 or even better the GX9 both of which I own. The evf isn't anywhere near the best by todays standards but it's useable.

There's also the Sony A6xxx range which are even smaller than rf style MFT bodies.

I'm impressed with the reviews for the Panasonic GX80, that's another nod towards EVF.

I wouldn't consider one without an EVF, my travel kit consists of two GX9's
Thinking about selling one now I have picked up a barely used G80 for a goodly price

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider a camera without viewfinder for several reasons. Firstly it feels natural, secondly you get more stability and thirdly as good as LCD's are these days there are times when the sun still makes it difficult to see. I find with my Z7 and EM1-II I still use the EVF to review images as well as the sun on the LCD can make the image look underexposed, yet when you view it in the EVF it's nice a bright (as the image would be if you were viewing it on the LCD in the shade/indoors).

My first IR converted body (pre-converted) came without an EVF. In bright sunshine the rear screen was unusable, and it's a somewhat unnatural way of photographing anyway, so I ordered the optional EVF. This got me going but had a tendency to work loose.
It's unlikely I'll ever get another mirrorless without an integral EVF unless I get one for remote working :wacky:

Has to be an EVF. Variable eyesight (sometimes with contact lenses, sometimes without) mean that I need the option to correct the VF without faffing with reading glasses to see the rear screen.

Has to be EVF. Apart from the fact that holding a camera at arms length is unnatural (to me anyway), the first bright sunny day you have when you can see virtually nothing on the rear screen, you'll kick yourself for not taking the EVF route.....

All the reasons you guys have said for having a EVF are the positive points I'd thought about.
I don't tend to pay much attention to manufacturers models so I'm always behind with them.
With thanks to MatBin I now know about the Fujifilm X-T10 which is now appealing to me even more than the X-E2.

I love my GX80 but don't love the kit lens, it's too small to hold + not enough reach, so I bought a 12-60.

I never use the EVF, I never hold it out in front of me either, I use a wrist strap, hold it down with the screen facing up.

I have the focus point permanently in the centre so I know where it is and can't be moved accidentally (by touchscreen), but can be moved with the touch of a Fn button.

I love having an EVF on my Fuji, I only use the screen on rare occasions that I cannot bring the camera up to my eye.

Back