Composing when shooting with camera on the deck

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
whats the best way (without a camera that has a flip screen) to compose a shot when you're looking for a shot where the camera is about 2 inches off the ground to ensure the horizon is straight and the composition is good?

An app, if available for your camera, a right angle viewer that fits on the eyepiece, or a field monitor attached to the HDMI out.

Last edited:
Or a Flipbac.

Has anyone tried the tether tools case air, just came up when googling

whats the best way (without a camera that has a flip screen) to compose a shot when you're looking for a shot where the camera is about 2 inches off the ground to ensure the horizon is straight and the composition is good?
Buy a camera which can link by wifi to a smart phone for a remote view! :)

Buy a camera which can link by wifi to a smart phone for a remote view! :)

This or a camera with a flip out screen. Find it so useful now I don't think I could go back to a camera with a fixed screen.

A cheapy cigar box can be bought online, and can be used to either balance the camera or rest the cam ontop of.

Also, I feel experimenting with leading lines and dutch angles is quite important in photography. There is also a difference between dutch angle done well, and just poor camera technique (it is fun to practice!).

Shoot wide and crop to straighten!

Use a small child or person to get on the floor and check for you. The use of a child will be cheaper as they can just be bribed with sweets!

You need to buy a camera which can link to wifi & smartphone for a remote view. If you are not able to buy a high-cost camera then you can use Right Angle Viewfinder tool for your camera for different angle pictures.

You need to buy a camera which can link to wifi & smartphone for a remote view. If you are not able to buy a high-cost camera then you can use Right Angle Viewfinder tool for your camera for different angle pictures.
Can you give an example?

What camera is it? There's an app and TPLInk adapter for non wifi Canons, sadly the app doesnt work with Nikon etc.
The app was about a fiver and the hardware about £40, although the latest version of Canons in-house mag advertises some other bit of kit to do the same thing for a lot more, the TPLink h/w needs to be flashed to make it work but it's pretty straight forward (if a little nerve wracking), maybe the other kit has already been done and that's why it costs more.
Angle viewfinders are also available for some cameras.
Matt

There's a free Canon app that works on my iPhone with the 5D4. It's a bit of a fiddle sometimes to get connected, but works great once you've figured it out.

Can you give an example?
I miss the flip out screen on my old Canon 60D for this reason, but both my Canon 6D and Canon EOS-M10 both work with remote shooting via the Canon app on my phone, so if I need to, I can just turn on wifi, fire up the app and start shooting. It's quite handy, but not quite as quick as just using a flip out screen.

I miss the flip out screen on my old Canon 60D for this reason, but both my Canon 6D and Canon EOS-M10 both work with remote shooting via the Canon app on my phone, so if I need to, I can just turn on wifi, fire up the app and start shooting. It's quite handy, but not quite as quick as just using a flip out screen.
6D here too. I've rarely used the feature but I also find control by smartphone over Wi-Fi practical if you can't see the viewfinder or display, say ground level with lens aimed upwards. If the camera is horizontal, and there's enough room, then I just lie behind it, or beside it if I can only fit my head around the back. It's nice to have all the options, and I would have bought the Mk II partly for the articulated screen if reviews were more positive. :(

No electronics are required. You just use your everyday camera that has a waist-level finder. Step up Rollieflex, Mamiya C or RB series, Hasselblad, or even my old Praktica FX-2. There are wlf options also for Nikon F3 and Pentax LX. Only your knees (and maybe elbows) will get muddy. As here:
Just get on the ground. You can worry about clean clothes when you've finished.
Sometimes (often) a photograph is more important than social appearances. How seriously do you take your photography?

Last edited:
No electronics are required. You just use your everyday camera that has a waist-level finder. Step up Rollieflex, Mamiya C or RB series, Hasselblad, or even my old Praktica FX-2. There are wlf options also for Nikon F3 and Pentax LX. Only your knees (and maybe elbows) will get muddy. As here:
Sometimes (often) a photograph is more important than social appearances. How seriously do you take your photography?
I guess if its that serious shooting with Manfrotto Digital Director or an equivalnet

Laptop and suitable live shooting app connected over USB, direct tether, such as Lightroom or Canons utility

Back