Computer Problem, any ideas please

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Desktop just got accidentally switched off at the socket, switched back on, but doesn't want to reboot.

Its got power, turned it off and back on at the computer, but still nothing on the monitor although power light is on
Also seems to be doing something as the small indicator flashes when keyboard or mouse is plugged in

Any ideas please?

Have you tried going into bios and checking it's booting to the right drive? assuming you can get that far.

do you have a disk you can reboot from? petes suggestion needs the delete key to be held down on startup. Is it the computer or the monitor that is not working properly? check the plug from computer to monitor is in properly.
Just a thought try running a DVD through it, might just jump it back to life strange as it may seem

Last edited:
Its obviously rebooted otherwise there wouldn't be a light showing. It sounds like its either the monitor, cables or the video card has come loose.

Try above getting into BIOS, do that by pressing DEL or whatever it is for your motherboard.

However, you say there is nothing on the screen at all so guess you are not seeing any prompts which you do before the computer starts booting so doubt it's that.

Try also the most obvious, that is disconnected the monitor cable from the back of the computer (and or monitor) and reconnect it, may just be that it's not getting a signal. Ohh and some monitors have input selectors, make sure that is choosing the correct one.

Last edited:
Thanks all, nothing on the monitor so unable to see any prompts.

Tried to connect to my tv via hdmi, but no luck there, wondering if I can connect to a laptop?

Is the machine on, you could use the laptop to try remote in to see if the issue is with the GPU/cable to the monitor.

Is the machine on, you could use the laptop to try remote in to see if the issue is with the GPU/cable to the monitor.

Its got power to it, how can I connect remotely to the laptop?

Monitor is ok, works when plugged into a laptop.

Computer sounds and looks like its on, beeps when powered up, but no output.

Monitor is ok, works when plugged into a laptop.

Computer sounds and looks like its on, beeps when powered up, but no output.
When on, does the caps lock or NUM lock keys come up when pressed?

To remote in you would need the IP address of the machine, then use remote desktop app from the laptop.

Open it up and make sure all the cards (video etc) are seated properly. Could also check the memory slots.

Otherwise, count the number of beeps and look up the user manual. Number of beeps indicates where the problem is.

Cheers,

Dougie.

When on, does the caps lock or NUM lock keys come up when pressed?

To remote in you would need the IP address of the machine, then use remote desktop app from the laptop.

NUM lock key comes up, not sure of the IP address though

Open it up and make sure all the cards (video etc) are seated properly. Could also check the memory slots.

Otherwise, count the number of beeps and look up the user manual. Number of beeps indicates where the problem is.

Cheers,

Dougie.

Cards all seated ok, just one beep which is the usual sound when powering up.

Think its off to the repair place tomorrow, just surprised it went wrong like that, no different to a power cut

NUM lock key comes up, not sure of the IP address though

Cards all seated ok, just one beep which is the usual sound when powering up.

Think its off to the repair place tomorrow, just surprised it went wrong like that, no different to a power cut
You can connect to the router to get the IP, if you have an android phone you can download fing and use that to get the IP of the machine.

Not sure what I'm doing so thanks, but will take it into the shop

Try resetting the bios, there are a few ways to do it, easiest is removing and reseating the CMOS battery.

If you leave it on for a few minutes even though you cant see anything does the NUM Lock light go on and off when you press the key ?

Try resetting the bios, there are a few ways to do it, easiest is removing and reseating the CMOS battery.

Tried that, but thank you for the suggestion

If you leave it on for a few minutes even though you cant see anything does the NUM Lock light go on and off when you press the key ?

Yes it does Chris, caps lock key too

Tried that, but thank you for the suggestion

Yes it does Chris, caps lock key too

I'd put money on your video card being knackered, because if your number lock and caps lock light up the pc has to have booted and fully recognised the keyboard. Do you have a card for video or is it direct off the mainboard ?

I'd put money on your video card being knackered, because if your number lock and caps lock light up the pc has to have booted and fully recognised the keyboard. Do you have a card for video or is it direct off the mainboard ?

Integrated I believe Chris

Poo if it's on board your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Next thing to try is open up your pc and look very close the the battery on the mainboard ( silver disc about the size of 10p marked cr2023 )

You should find a little row of pins there might be 2 or 3. It might be labeled "batt"

If there's 2 then pull off the little blue or green plug and try to boot the machine, it will appear to do nothing but it's resetting the board.
If there's 3 then move the plug across to the other side from where it is do it connects the middle and what was the spare pin, do the same booting try.

Both must be done with the pc unplugged while changing the pins.

Put the little plug back where it was and try booting, it may clear things. Worth a try

Thanks Chris, will give it a go and thanks for your help

Off to bed then, been a bad week, had a fall on slippery mud over the local nature reserve today, already had to buy a new printer this week and the cars washers went wrong too

Just wondering but is it a regular HDD or an SSD? Does the hard drive light flash away and can you hear the Windows startup chime even with the screen off?

I'm wondering if the HDD has corrupted?

do you have the option on your monitor to choose the input?
my money though is on a popped mobo graphics card

If you turn it off and then on does the hard drive flash as if it’s booting. Or does nothing happen

I will have a wee guess that your PSU needs renewed.

Any better this morning. I'd say disconnect the power lead for a good 15-30 mins. Most PSU's keep some power open for wake on lan, keyboard etc, and being switched mode with stages, sometimes get confused/hung. Unless all stages start you won't get power on but may have some lights.

you could open up the case and check all the power connects.
also unplug everything apart from the mother board and then power it up and see what you get.

PSU seems to be the popular verdict, exactly what my daughters boyfriend said and he works with computers for a living.

Took the opportunity to buy a new one, good old John Lewis will be delivering the goods tomorrow to the local Waitrose.
Can't be bothered messing about and in computer years its no spring chicken

Thanks all for the ideas, did try everything suggested, alas to no avail, just need to get Lightroom deactivated now so I can reinstall it

Its got power, turned it off and back on at the computer, but still nothing on the monitor although power light is on
Also seems to be doing something as the small indicator flashes when keyboard or mouse is plugged in
As you have got power, ie everything seems to light up, can you see anything at all on the monitor, eg the BIOS boot-up screen?
If nothing - check your graphics card - have you got an laternative one that you can try?
I notice that ChrisH has suggested this also. If you are getting power it is not likely to be the PSU, if it was nothing would start.
Does the monitor itself show any life, ie is the power on to it? If the power is switched on and still no picture on the screen it again points to the video/graphics card.
Are you using a the graphics card built in to the motherboard or one in an expansion slot? If it is the one on the motherboard try using one in an expansion slot. If you are already using one in an expansion slot, try replacing it.
You can probably pick up a decent replacement off eBay at a reasonable price.

It would help if you could include some of the specifications of the desktop computer, eg motherboard, CPU, graphics card - then it might be possible to make some more solid suggestions. Also include whether or not your graphics card is on-board or in an expansion slot.

Hope this may help.

I've previously had a psu which would still power up the mb but couldn't get anything else running so it could well be the PSU.

My other thought from previously is a corrupted HDD if it were writing when the power went off?

Standalone licence has two machine installs allowed, but to uninstall the licence you have to do it on the PC or contact support if the machine is dead.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2071825

Also got it installed on a laptop, so yes it is two installs, but I've used both up
Did the live chat thing with Adobe and its sorted, ready to install on the new machine

Now to sort out everything else I can't get hold of, all my photos are backed up and should be able to copy music from my mp3 player
Looks like PSE9 will bite the dust along with an old install of Photo Ninja, not sure about Google Nik, think the new owners were bringing out a paid for version

Middle of the year is the rumour. When the middle of the year is can be debated. Be interesting to see what is on offer, and how much.

Wonder if the free collection is still about, been a bit busy to investigate every program and that's just the ones I remember.
Better get the old HDD out (if it still spins) and sort out hooking it up to see what else I might want

Yes, it's still around. Just google Nik Effex and you'll be taken to the DXO page. Give them your e-mail address and they will send you a download link.
I know it works because I've just done it. Not installed the link - just kept it safe for possible future use!
In fact, just for you, here is the page...
https://nikcollection.dxo.com/

Yes, it's still around. Just google Nik Effex and you'll be taken to the DXO page. Give them your e-mail address and they will send you a download link.
I know it works because I've just done it. Not installed the link - just kept it safe for possible future use!
In fact, just for you, here is the page...
https://nikcollection.dxo.com/

Thank you, will save me a bit of time, better go look myself for that Dehaze plug in too that I've told everyone about, so much to do

Back