Computer speakers

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Just setting up my new study and I wanted to add some speakers to my computer but the choice is bewildering. Can't decide whether I'd prefer a soundbar or bluetooth bookshelf speakers - what do you use?

I wear headphones for games so it's mostly for YT videos or Spotify. If money were no object I'd just buy a Sonos soundbar but since they aren't actually going to get any serious use I'd like to keep costs under £100. Plenty of options from brands I've never heard of in this area - but are they any good?

I got a Sonaverse Soundbar for £30 when my speakers went pop. Hate it. After having came-with-the-pc Dell plastic fantastics this was a downgrade in quality. Impossible to use the pass through mic & headphone jacks because of a nasty earth hum. Sound quality is "ok I suppose". If I want decent quality, it's headphones into the PC time.

Because of this, I've been looking at decent speakers even if only for YouTube, the occasional movie and podcasts from various sources. However after "wasting" money on cheap stuff, I think I'll do some research on decent bookshelf style things.

Watching the thread with interest.

I had a pair of Edifier active bookshelf speakers and they were great. I had the R1280Ts which were non bluetooth but you could look at the R1700BT.

They are slightly over your budget but you way get a sale deal given the time of year.

I use these. They are wired but extremely good. even got a second set for the radio, they are" Ceative Imspire T10 " speakers

Last edited:
I use a second hand Sony amp and, until recently, a pair of used Pioneer speakers, although they will eventually be changed to the Gale Golds I have sitting around. Wired hifi all the way for me. ATM my kit is in disarray since our house got flooded.

The Gales were £15 on eBay.

I bought an Ultimate Ears Wonderboom on Black Friday. There is an updated model but not that much different from the original. Decent sound for a large mug size speaker. It’s only Bluetooth though and you would need to charge it up so it may not be exactly what you want.

I use a UE Boom Bluetooth speaker, which works really well. Has the advantage I can use it with the phone when in the garden or away.

The biggest problem I have found with BT speakers is there is sometimes a lag putting the video & audio out of sync.

I had a pair of Edifier active bookshelf speakers and they were great. I had the R1280Ts which were non bluetooth but you could look at the R1700BT.

They are slightly over your budget but you way get a sale deal given the time of year.

I have these too, mine are R1280DB, very good sound for the price.

Agreed, the sound was better than I expected.

From what I understand these are "Near Field" speakers which work the best for a computer speaker.
Surprised by just how decent they were for just over 100 quid, even have a remote too
They replaced my previous bookshelf speakers which were Kanto YU6, didn't work as well for me sitting in close proximity
Also bit overkill especially with the separate sub connected to them, much better now in my spare "hobbies" room

Ultamate Ears Mega boom for me. Its not audiophyle quality that a proper speaker/player would give but my listening is an aside to editing images and watching the odd youtube video.

I have a set of these on both of my desktops great sound for a small footprint speaker.

I use a Dell soundbar, mainly to keep my desk tidy, as it clips onto the monitor stand. SQ is ok for zoom etc, but also have some Sony M3 headphones, for when I want/need better quality sound (and blocking out the wife ;)) .

I've got Creative Labs T40 speakers and the sound quality is very good, but I've loaned them to my wife for her business so looking again. The various Edifier ones mentioned on here look interesting, might give them a shot.

Try the used eBay market for Bose. I had a couple of soundlink soeakers. Bought well under £100. Were great until I just got Sonos to match the rest of the house. Have given to my parents for their TV and they’re great.

These sorts of things - companion series. Think I only had series 1 though, so series 3 seems good! Very much love Bose, got the Bose 700, Bose Frames - rest is Sonos!

I have a pair of B & W MM 1's hooked up to my pc and the sound is fantastic! Don't think they make them any more but if you can find a decent second hand pair you won't be dissapointed

Edifier Lunar here, had a set before a serious house fire in 2019, replaced them last year. They look great and sound better. I use the optical link and the sound quality is truly fantastic.

As mentioned on the obsessive desk thread, I went with done edifier 1280s. Thanks for the recommendations.

They sound remarkably nice, especially with real instruments and vocals. Electronic music is pretty good too. For the money they are really very nice indeed.

I bought these a few years ago and like them a lot.

I've a pair of Soundsticks with woofer that my wife bought me around 20 years ago for, I must admit their looks but the sound's not too bad either. A Harmon kardon and Apple product which are still around I think in mk3 form. A bit expensive for what they do but that's the Apple way I suppose.

I've a pair of Soundsticks with woofer that my wife bought me around 20 years ago for, I must admit their looks but the sound's not too bad either. A Harmon kardon and Apple product which are still around I think in mk3 form. A bit expensive for what they do but that's the Apple way I suppose.

Yeah HK Soundsticks are awfully pretty and apparently sound very nice. And if they last 20 years are actually pretty cheap.

Logitec makes some Great Computer Speaker,

I dropped lucky about 10 years ago when I 'took a chance' on some Logitec speakers that were on offer at Currys/PC world. I think I paid £29 for a set of X230, which went on to gain something of a legendary reputation for being amazing value for money, but were discontinued after a year or so: Logitech X 230 - 2.1-channel PC multimedia speaker system - 32 Watt (Total): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I still have them and use them daily, and they still sound good. So perhaps see if you can find a good used set in fully working order on the usual internet auction and second hand sales sites. However, I think they sometimes sell for more than I paid for them, which isn't surprising really!

Back