fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
My boring thread for the year,sorry.

The old thread is now a year old and this one will cover the coming 12 months.Hopefully it will be a happier thread. I will try and show that,generally, the two go hand in hand.

"Got a meeting with the owner of the estate tomorrow morning,regarding conservation issues for the deer. Lifting livestock from certain areas,removing fences and generally giving them somewhere peaceful to recover from the last year."

He also wants to attract more wildlife and has given me the go ahead to invite people on there.

Lets see how it goes........(y)

Thanks Karen, I hope the meeting goes well tomorrow.I think it will,he did not like hearing what had happened over the last 12 months,but he asked,so got told................:)

Hope it goes well mate, you have put alot of work into it so far (y)

Keep up the good work mate and hope everything goes well for you
Regards
Richard

This is a crap panoramic of the land we wish to set aside.Looking from the left,we have about 5oo meteres of riverbank with a thick pine wood on the high bank,the field and the woods to the right will be left to grow naturally,we will tempt the deer in with some goodies,all being well, to the far right there are two gullies that run down to the river providing shelter from the wind and rain.The fencing you seee is being removed.

It may not work, but we are going to try.I also believe that letting the river meadow grow will also entice other wildlife in.Lets see.

DeerSanctuary.jpg

Looking just downstream from the meadow,on the opposite bank is another field.The deer like to cross here as it is gravel and generally shallow.This additional field is situated in between two woods,mainly pine, the owner is going to negotiate with the tenant farmer about getting this land back as well.The field is not much use for livestock or anything as it is very steep down to the river before levelling out and usually very wet,but the deer like it on there.

ProspectiveDeerLand.jpg

These are nest building at the moment.Some mink cages are going down to help them out.

Dipper1.jpg

These were squaring up for a fight,they seem to make up before a full blown battle commenced.Maybe later.

Pheasants.jpg

good to see the thread progressing Ade, will have to catch up with you in May, hopefully with some good lighting and warm weather :)

I'm glad to see this thread starting again, sounds like some good ideas in the making look forward to hearing more :)

great idea ...keep on top of those mink...some sort of cover crop will hold a lot of wildlife in a fairly small area

A great idea Ade good on you (y) Must admit I have not seen the other thread so any chance of a quick brief? Just wondered what was behind the idea, are the deer in decline :shrug: Letting the meadow grow will be a real benefit imo once established.

A great idea Ade good on you (y) Must admit I have not seen the other thread so any chance of a quick brief? Just wondered what was behind the idea, are the deer in decline :shrug: Letting the meadow grow will be a real benefit imo once established.

Quick brief of the other thread.......:thinking:

1.New gamekeeper,utter b*****d.
2.Shot everything he could.
3.Did untold damage.
4.Got sacked.
5.Owner wishes to create a wildlife haven now.Though it is a shooting estate, I firmly believe that the new keeper and I can work together on this.

That`s about it really. Except that I should never have trusted the WLO and I should have sorted the problem the old fashioned way............:)

Quick brief of the other thread.......:thinking:

1.New gamekeeper,utter b*****d.
2.Shot everything he could.
3.Did untold damage.
4.Got sacked.
5.Owner wishes to create a wildlife haven now.Though it is a shooting estate, I firmly believe that the new keeper and I can work together on this.

That`s about it really. Except that I should never have trusted the WLO and I should have sorted the problem the old fashioned way............:)

Can you post a link to the other thread, Ade. Reckon I'd find that an interesting read.
Cheers.

Sounds like great stuff Ade. I think wildlife and shooting should be able to co-exist quite happily as estates such as Rothiemurchus in the Highlands have been working on for some time.

Sounds like great stuff Ade. I think wildlife and shooting should be able to co-exist quite happily as estates such as Rothiemurchus in the Highlands have been working on for some time.

I was thinking about visiting Rothiemurchus but they want £125 for a chance to see an Osprey:shrug: Certainly puts it out of my price range.

Sounds very expensive to me.

Last edited:
This sounds very exiting and like the projects I was managing in Devon. I reinstated flower meadows that had been neglected for years, cleared scrub, cut in July then grazed lightly until November. Over a few years the wild flowers and delicate grasses flourished along with associated insects, butterflies and birds.

...He also wants to attract more wildlife...
What wildlife are you hoping to attract?

This sounds very exiting and like the projects I was managing in Devon. I reinstated flower meadows that had been neglected for years, cleared scrub, cut in July then grazed lightly until November. Over a few years the wild flowers and delicate grasses flourished along with associated insects, butterflies and birds.

What wildlife are you hoping to attract?

Everything bar greys and mink,foxes are not my problem anymore...........:D

Just hope the wind is the right direction Ian. I got great pictures of the backs of osprey last year...

Ade - £20 sounds very cheap. Is that just access or are you planning hides?

Just hope the wind is the right direction Ian. I got great pictures of the backs of osprey last year...

Ade - £20 sounds very cheap. Is that just access or are you planning hides?

We are building one hide straight away,see how things go and take it from there Paul. The wildlife needs building up and enticing first,for example, we have kingfishers,but they are river birds and fish from overhanging trees rather than placed perches,so it is difficult to say that somebody would get shots of them.I know there are no guarantees with wildlife photography, but I feel that things need to be sorted first.

There is accomodation on site, not cheap,but very good.There is also a cafe on site.We need to get up and running first though. The estate is private, though it has some public footpaths through it, these are not ideal.

Rothiemurcus is expensive, but you do get good access to the Ospreys. Im going for a couple of days, hopefully will see something ;) lol

Ian,as I told you before, I can get you very close to ospreys and it won`t cost you anything.................;)

yeah im hoping the same Paul, apparently they are building new hides at the moment !

Yeah, they said that last year as well. Waiting for a report from you this year before I commit again.

Ade - looking forward to progress. Always interested in options like this. Some of your images to date show what a well informed photographer in a productive location can produce.

The old thread is amazing! Lets just hope you have an easier year this year. I intermittently shoot and am always happy to see other wildlife around, although it is slightly disconcerting having a bunch of muntjacs acting as improptu beaters for you!

Thanks all, should be up and running very soon.

Found a family of these yesterday.

Fox1.jpg

Now, do I tell the keeper or not........:thinking:

Stags are still in the same place, they must like sheep cake. I check on them most nights.

NightDeer.jpg

Thats a cool shot but scary :LOL:

Certainly not the normal deer shot..........:LOL:

I had already blinded them with the spotlights on the Hilux, so I figured a small flash from 40 yards wouldn`t do any harm.

Back