Tutorial Contrast Masking - an HDR alternative,

Excellent tutorial – but now I’m going to try it on a few of my images to see how it compares and I have a feeling I’m going to be trawling through all my older photos to see how good they will look using this method:thinking:

I tried this technique for the first time last week - it works (y)
The image below is a rescue job - I was thinking of binning it but I quite like the resultant Contrast Masked image.
It looks even better at a larger size as the detail in the rocks and waves is beautiful.

The surprise for me is more that when 'playing' with images I feel are OK, the Contrast Masked images are often better.
So far about half the landscapes I've tried are better with the technique than the originals which I already liked.
I owe someone a beer :cool:

IMG_4835.jpg
-
IMG_4835-Edit.jpg

A few of my images suffered halo's
They are easy to fix
Here's a worked example
I don't mind if you think the original looks better, it's just a worked example and viewing at this size does not do it justice - the tweaked version looks great B I G

The original
P1040174.jpg

With default settings and 66% opacity on the contrast mask layer - spot the halo on the ships superstructure and all along the horizon.
P1040174-Edit-2.jpg

The fixed version - took all of 10 seconds including checking the results :)
P1040174-Edit.jpg

THE FIX......
Use the history brush
Take the history from the step immediately before the Gaussian blur and paint it over the halo.
It vanishes with no artefacts and looks 100% natural

My fix for the halo is to use either dodge or burn at 10%, on either shadows or highlights depending on whether you have a light halo (burn 10% highlights) or dark halo (dodge 10% shadows) and paint over the affected area with the softest brush setting. If you do this on your masked layer it works a treat

Just used Gary's tip on a couple of images, worked very well.

Thanks for the tip....(y)

I am loving this myself, been at it on a large number of my photographs and they are all turning out great :D

Thanks a lot :D

I have several images that this could improve - thank you. I shall give your method a try.

Thank you Gary for an excellent tutorial, i am not oppose to HDR but think the results with this method is superior (y) will be trying it in the future

Great tool. Thanks!

Back