Tutorial Contrast Masking - an HDR alternative,

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
HIMUPNORTH submitted a new resource:

Contrast Masking - an HDR alternative, - Contrast Masking - an HDR alternative,

I came across this tip in Advanced Photoshop Magazine and thought I would share it. I have had images in the past where I cannot recover highlight/shadow detail and have used HDR as a method to "progress" the image. This method is similar in that it will reveal shadow detail and recover highlight detail (although NOT BLOWN OUT details) in a very simple manner and will give a more natural result.
This technique comes from the film world. In the past a negative would be used to apply this...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say I'm not convinced.

Still, every tool has its uses though - worth knowing, so thanks for posting!

Cheers,
James

Sorry James, not convinced about what? The tool used or the use on this photo? Other photos would give different results. For instance one where there was more highlight detail needing recovered as opposed to the one I used which was largely needing shadow detail enhanced.

I think that its pretty cool (y) thanks for the tips Gary its something I will "file" and try at a later time

interesting...little techniques like this are very handy to know. Might not get used a lot but its handy to have in your pocket if an image needs it! Thanks!

Prefer the result over the hdr'd version too, much easier on the eye.

Ooh very nice Gary. I think I'll give this a whirl :)

Whoops, time to back track. I didn't read the instructions right, and now have it working properly. Thanks, it's really brightened up a couple of my shots that were a little lacklustre.

Cheers,
James

I use this technique a lot, on about 50-60% of my photos I would say to some degree or another, I generally have the layer running at about 30% opacity and a guassian blur of 75 or 150 for big details then a second duplication with a guassian blur of 5-25 to help sharpen the finer details.

Also try soft light as a more subtle method of the effect.

It does work well. I used to use this alot until I gave up photoshop.

I did find it can create nasty artifacts in the sky sometimes and bring the noise levels up if you're trying to push an image with too much shadow detail.

For an alternative look, try adjusting the levels on the de-saturated levels, pulling in the ends as you normaly would for your shots. Or don;t de-saturate the top layer, just invert it.

All sorts of fun.......

Looks good, will have to give it a try, cheers (y)

I think it looks much better, i will certanly be giving it a try.
Thanks for the info (y)

just had to give it a go....

KT7a.jpg

:)
and another go...this time I selected just the bride, feathered the selection about 5px (working on the large orginal file here), hit ctrl+j to put the selection on it's own layer and did the adjustments on her only...then after flattening the image I adjusted the levels slightly, I am impressed! :clap:

KT8a.jpg

I love learning new stuff in photoshop....thanks Gary! :)

Thats excellent Gary, certainly seems to give a more natural look to the shot over the HDR version.

Top tip thanks for sharing.

Its worked really well on your shots as well Marianne.

and another go...this time I selected just the bride, feathered the selection about 5px (working on the large orginal file here), hit ctrl+j to put the selection on it's own layer and did the adjustments on her only...then after flattening the image I adjusted the levels slightly, I am impressed!

So am I Marianne, so am I :clap:

it's a very useful technique...I have to say Gary, that landscape is a bit special and the colours now revealed are amazing!

Thanks Marianne, and all, that is the Isle of Harris Marianne, a beautiful place!

Great technique, worked well on a few pictures I had previously discarded.

Cheers Gary - I'm always keen to give new ideas a try and have a couple of shots i could use this on!! (y)

but you've used gimp.... :shrug:

Well the same procedure applies to Photohop, Corel Photo-Paint, etc., so I fail to see the problem there.
It's basically just a different layout of buttons and menus for this task, that's about it.

I have to say I am having great fun using this technique, it really does work, and have passed the method on to other snapper friends, but even more fun is playing with the mode setting to get some wierd effects too, its a real 'experiement to your hearts content' method, so thanks again Gary. (y)

Mind you, I still can't get my mechanics portrait to look anything nears as good as Mikes, but I will keep playing!;)

By the way, if anyone is getting fed up of doing all the steps over and over, you can save it as an action so you just have to press Shift+F10 or whatever and it's all done...

took a shot of rhosilli/worms head on the gower last night,and the results were far less than uninspiring,but followed the instructions and it has made a difference for the better IMHO....

the original....
DSC02674.jpg

and after...
wormshead.jpg

as i said,i know it's not a perfect shot..not helped by the lens flare...

and a big thanks to HUN

thanks HUN will definatley give this a try(y)

Just stumbled on this and I must say it works for me ;)

No samples to show you but it's a helluvalot quicker than HDR and the resulting effect is very satisfying.

Thanks for sharing ;)

Back