Tutorial Contrast Masking - an HDR alternative,

Doesn't seem to work or me. It al seems very dark. or very grey. where am i going wrong?

I have the invert filter as first layer

then b and W

Then orginal colour.

is that right?

Doesn't seem to work or me. It al seems very dark. or very grey. where am i going wrong?

I have the invert filter as first layer

then b and W

Then orginal colour.

is that right?

Creat duplicate layer > ctrl and J

then Image menu > adjustments > invert

then on the layers panel on right, drop down box that by default says 'normal' and change it to overlay

then Filter menu, gaussian blur - for a full res image you should set this to about 80 pixels on the slider - but play around for best setting for each image

then go back to the layers panel and use opacity slider to adjust the level of the effect to a position you like

then Layers menu - flatten image

You select the inverted layer Matt and change this to an overlay layer. HTH! (y)

EDIT: Oops, missed replies (working of email notification - must wake up! :LOL:)

Am loving this technique. Only noticed it after it got bumped and works well on a shot I took the other night.

Worked for me too but you have to be careful about a halo effect on some pics.

Really pulled out the detail on this shot. The sky was fine but the bridge was really underexposed.
96805992.jpg

Top notch Gary, i have just had aago and it works very well.
Thanks for the technic..

Thanks for the tip Gary. I've never been fully convinced about HDR, but you're technique looks great. I will give it a go once I can get out with my camera!

Got to say I'm loving this technique

Here's a shot I'd probably have discarded from yesterday
96947318.jpg

which with this technique turns out as:
96947319.jpg

I like this, after someone else posted a picture which used this technique and credite the thread. As just mentioned, need to watch for halo effects (depends on amount used in gaussian blur).
Now, as a new CS3 user, how do you save this as an action.

Now, as a new CS3 user, how do you save this as an action.
I simply went through all of the process except the gaussian blur bit and saved that as an action. In practice I very nearly always use 250pixels then reduce opacity of layer.

HTH. (y)

Never used that technique before, very quick and easy, thanks H.U.N :)(y)

I have a large collection of photos that might just have their bacon saved by this technique.

Nice one!

Just had a brief go, i'm a photoshop noob.

Before

and after

Still got a halo, but it looks a LOT better.

Last edited:
This is great........(y)

And you know how bad I am at photoshop.......:)

Am I reading this correctly in that you only need one source image because you are duplicating the layer? If so then I think this is a great tip as although I quite like HDR, it's not really ideal if there's movement in the frame, whereas this method overcomes this. Is this right?

This is a great post. Have used this and am impressed. I have set it as an action, but .......................

Once you have completed the action can you amend it? I ask as some photos need different opacity and blur.

This is a great post. Have used this and am impressed. I have set it as an action, but .......................

Once you have completed the action can you amend it? I ask as some photos need different opacity and blur.

yes.. in the actions.. theres a box to the left of each bit.. click the ones that you want control over.

Many thanks for posting this really useful technique, just tried it out on an image i got completely wrong while in Rome :bang:, not a very good picture at all, just one inside one of the churches there

Before

unsaved.jpg

After

saved_copy.jpg

:woot:

Craig

Ooo yeah I like that. Here is one I did earlier. I know it is haloed but it fits the subject quite well I think.

church.jpg
whitechurch3.jpg

Creat duplicate layer > ctrl and J

then Image menu > adjustments > invert

then on the layers panel on right, drop down box that by default says 'normal' and change it to overlay

then Filter menu, gaussian blur - for a full res image you should set this to about 80 pixels on the slider - but play around for best setting for each image

then go back to the layers panel and use opacity slider to adjust the level of the effect to a position you like

then Layers menu - flatten image

I have Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 and i don't have Image menu - Adjustments - Invert...

Ok i think its IMAGE MENU - MIRROR ?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this :D

Tried it on one or two of my pics and i have to say WOW!!! works much better than any HDR!

Cheers,

mirror? would that not create a mirror image? negative, invert, something like that should be more likely.

I have tried this technique and have found it effective without blurring, and then selectively erasing sections.

thanks Gary started to use this on some of my photos

I have Photoshop and there is a Plug In for it to make the HDR effect and it works quite well and is a LOT quicker than trying to do it stage by stage :LOL:

Its called ReDynaMix HDR and can be found on www.mediachance.com.

Hope that might help someone :D

Tracy.

Damn ! i wish i knew this sooner.
Im redoing most of my portfolio now ...

Back