Coolant level

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I’m no mechanic but on my car info display it has flashed up coolant level low. Purchased some anti freeze from piindland, now, I just want to make sure this will be fine? The car is a 2012 astra diesel automatic, and I’ve located the anti freeze container and opened it; it’s indeed made the correct “whoosh” sound, I just want to check this is the right thing to do..

Advice appreciated as I hate error messages and would like to top up tonight to avoid another stressful day.. did I mention I’m no mechanic? [emoji23]

Not sure why there should be a "whoosh" from your container?

However it should be just a case of topping up your overflow tank to the maximum mark, BUT only when the engine is cold.

So a job for tomorrow morning :)

Is the new coolant the same colour as your existing coolant. You shouldn't use the wrong coloured coolant. It doesn't mix and will reduce its effectiveness at the very least.

I'm guessing it was still under a little pressure.
As opposed to the washer bottle .. :D

Is the new coolant the same colour as your existing coolant. You shouldn't use the wrong coloured coolant. It doesn't mix and will reduce its effectiveness at the very least.

The colour has nothing to do with it, but yes it is possible to get different types of coolant which are not compatible with each other. The information will be in your owners handbook, and may even be on the filler cap itself. A quick google reveals you should be running Organic Acid long life stuff, not the old fashioned ethylene glycol stuff.

However it should be just a case of topping up your overflow tank to the maximum mark, BUT only when the engine is cold.

So a job for tomorrow morning :)

It’s kind of like the sound you get when something is sealed and you open it. Letting the air escape?

Will pop it in in the morning!

Ahh.. the new coolant is blue, it was red/pinkish in the engine? Reckon it will still be okay?

The colour has nothing to do with it, but yes it is possible to get different types of coolant which are not compatible with each other. The information will be in your owners handbook, and may even be on the filler cap itself. A quick google reveals you should be running Organic Acid long life stuff, not the old fashioned ethylene glycol stuff.

This.

I bought coolant from VX, its about £15 for 5ltrs and I am quite sure it was OAT and not ethylene glycol.

Best give that bottle away, don't put it in your screenwash reservoir either (y)

Wht do you say the colour has nothing to do with it when all the information is that you never mix blue and red because they are chemically different ? or an I missing something?

You have a decent car so instead of buying el cheapo stuff which might be diluted get the proper antifreeze from the likes of Halfords or similar. Put in your reg number and it will find the antifreeze suited to your car. The bottle in your pic is screen wash, I've never seen antifreeze sold i one ltr bottles. Im sure I read somewhere pink antifreeze was good for about 10 yrs, blue 5 yrs. If your not sure how good your current stuff is With the engine cold undo the bottom hose on the radiator and drain it off, release reservoir cap. reconnect the hose when done, put in the recommended amount of antifreeze (check the handbòok)then top off with water. run engine check hose for leaks. A 15 minute job or get ripped off at a garage.

coolant level in expansion bottle is nowt to panic about that is what it is there for.
ditch the poundland crap and get the proper stuff at the weekend or from europarts.

Wht do you say the colour has nothing to do with it when all the information is that you never mix blue and red because they are chemically different ? or an I missing something?

Colour is just colour, you can colour any antifreeze any colour, and they do, there is no standardisation.

That looks like screen wash not coolant fluid. You don't get coolant fluid for a £1. Nor is it premixed as it say on the lable.

Flebay see the price. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Putoline-...677052&hash=item5d4dbd77c4:g:H6cAAOSwZjJU-GlA

Halford sells premixed antifreeze as well as concentrate.
You have a decent car so instead of buying el cheapo stuff which might be diluted get the proper antifreeze from the likes of Halfords or similar. Put in your reg number and it will find the antifreeze suited to your car. The bottle in your pic is screen wash, I've never seen antifreeze sold i one ltr bottles.
Top up bottles are sold in 1litre and 2 litre sizes.

Thanks for all the advice people! Due to an emergency trip to the doctors, I didn't get chance to reply earlier - but I popped to my local Halfords and they advised on the one to purchase - a pink color and the correct one for my car - came to about £13. I didn't realised the pound store stuff was that bad, so have leant and will always make sure the correct stuff is put in! Will be topping up after work, once its cooled down during the day! Thanks for all the advice people!!

You have a decent car so instead of buying el cheapo stuff which might be diluted get the proper antifreeze from the likes of Halfords or similar. Put in your reg number and it will find the antifreeze suited to your car. The bottle in your pic is screen wash, I've never seen antifreeze sold i one ltr bottles. Im sure I read somewhere pink antifreeze was good for about 10 yrs, blue 5 yrs. If your not sure how good your current stuff is With the engine cold undo the bottom hose on the radiator and drain it off, release reservoir cap. reconnect the hose when done, put in the recommended amount of antifreeze (check the handbòok)then top off with water. run engine check hose for leaks. A 15 minute job or get ripped off at a garage.
Cheers Frank, putting it in myself but bought the right one from Halfords! Good advice! The difference between £1 and a risk or £13 and nothing when talking about a car thats about 5k to replace! Wise words!

Wise words indeed, off topic I know a guy who does up bikes and he was working on a nice old biggie and just as a temporary had plain water in one bike as he was running tests and tinkering in his garage.

anyway a few months later in winter he had a new sofa delivered and no where to put it so he squeezed it in his garage and the bike he was working on wheeled it out and put it under a nice cover for a few days.

sorted the sofa out and wheeled bike back in, next day water all over garage floor.

yep you kinda know the rest.

That looks like screen wash not coolant fluid.
Apart from the words "Anti freeze" in big letters on the label and no mention of screenwash...

It's antifreeze, which can be blue and can come in 1 litre containers.

They also did have screen wash.. so I've no idea, I thought this was the right one! It will be going down the drain anyway!

Cheers

If its not too late, try and dispose of it at the council recycling centre as it's quite toxic stuff or pass it onto someone who can use ethylene glycol! I'll say it again, don't put it in your or their screenwash reservoir!

don't put it down drain, pretty toxic stuff
take it back to shop get refund

Apart from the words "Anti freeze" in big letters on the label and no mention of screenwash...

It's antifreeze, which can be blue and can come in 1 litre containers.

Looks exactly the same as their screen wash, in days gone by always added a bit of anti freeze to the screenwash bottle once it got frosty.
Can't be too disastrous seeing as we have only had three cars since 1987, think a drop of meths might have been used too in the dark and distant

Engine coolant and paintwork don't get on well together. More so now that the paints and lacquers are water based so putting it in screen wash isn't a great idea.

But DONT pour it in the waste oil tank like so many people do.

Hi guys

I’m no mechanic but on my car info display it has flashed up coolant level low. Purchased some anti freeze from piindland, now, I just want to make sure this will be fine? The car is a 2012 astra diesel automatic, and I’ve located the anti freeze container and opened it; it’s indeed made the correct “whoosh” sound, I just want to check this is the right thing to do..

Advice appreciated as I hate error messages and would like to top up tonight to avoid another stressful day.. did I mention I’m no mechanic? [emoji23]
How long have you been driving?

Back