Copy Me lighting technique, discussion/volunteers thread.

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
OK lighting gods and godesses, an idea that was suggested by Glo during an unusually lucid moment at a TP towers party recently and definitely deserves an outing imho.

The idea is that one person posts a nicely lit shot with a full explaination of how it was lit/shot, then the other members can have a go at replicating it and posting their results, good or bad, for help and advice where needed. It struck me, as a real beginner at this lighting lark, as a great way to learn how to use lighting and get some decent feedback.

All types of lighting can be included, studio flash, strobes, even a couple of desk lamps, anything that can help people understand how to light a subject effectively and give a great result.

The idea is that each image will run for 2 to 4 weeks before the next volunteer steps forward with the next challenge. However, discussion on this and how it will work is welcome.

So, any discussion/ideas/comments welcome and a volunteer to post the first image very welcome please (y)

EDIT: To make them easy to find, I shall add links to the challenge threads here too.

COPY ME LIGHTING THREAD No 1 - From Diddy Dave

Reactions: Sto
I like the idea, and would be interested in participating (y)

:popcorn:

hey DD, is it going to be white background with a soft box on the main light:LOL:

Brilliant idea!

I shall watch this with interest!

I like the idea, and would be interested in participating (y)

Can I post one then please?

Can I Miss Yv?

Eh - can I?

:)

DD

**has visions of Dave jumping around, hand in the air, like a 6yr old needing a pee in the middle of teachers storytime** :LOL:

Well, as long as that wasn't Ed making an offer to be first, I am not entirely sure, then yes you can young man. ;)

I think the best way would be to have a new thread for each shot, numbered so people can see where we are up to [so for instance, 'Copy My Lighting Challenge 1', or similar] where the shot, its description and other peoples attempts can be posted, and perhaps keep the general discussion and volunteering to this thread?

Well, as long as that wasn't Ed making an offer to be first, I am not entirely sure, then yes you can young man. ;)

No, do not have anything ready at the moment, but I will participate and get an image or two ready for the future. ;)

Over to you Dave (y)

Ok - here's a first one then from me - and an easy one to try too as you hardly need get out of bed :)

Quite simple really, it's a mix of flash & ambient lighting. The ambient being both the window behind me & room lighting too

The trick is to meter for your room, and then introduce flash slightly more powerful than the room's ambient lighting exposure so your subject 'pops' out a bit

For ease - this was simply shot with a speedlight mounted on the hotshoe, with the swivel/tilt head pointing up & behind me - which gives the softest spread of light (I find it's often a good idea to bounce the flash not just off the ceiling, but right back up into the wall behind you too)

That ok ???

DD

Fun_people_1.jpg

I think the best way would be to have a new thread for each shot, numbered so people can see where we are up to [so for instance, 'Copy My Lighting Challenge 1', or similar] where the shot, its description and other peoples attempts can be posted, and perhaps keep the general discussion and volunteering to this thread?

Ah ! Just read that - bugger

Goes to start a new thread :D

DD

yv, you should edit the title to say first victim. oops, volunteer has been found(y)

Oh go on then, I have left you crossed legged for 9 hours, that's long enough :D

Only just read this post Yv - I'm in hospital you see, with a ruptured bladder :(

Perhaps you could have replied a bit quicker and saved me all this pain :shrug:

:crying::crying::crying:

:LOL:

DD

Wow, seven techniques... I'm already behind...!

Sounds a great idea, camera... check, lights... check, meter... check, model... oh, this is going to be more difficult than I thought :(

oooo interested in this thread!
can I ask if it is just photo's taken by us, or could we post pics from others and the responses of how they did their adaptation?

Andy

Back